Minor (??) LOR Problem...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsTaco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that it's getting late in the game and all my LOR's have been sent off and probably read (and thrown in the trash, for most schools), I discovered a minor glitch on one of my letters. My current boss requested some references when I was being hired, so he had my school send down my med school LORs (yeah he's a little obsessive). Well apparently I was a good girl for a few months, because he randomly decided to show me my letters...whoopie! 3 of them were absolutely glowing--I was floored. The 4th, from my former PI, was also very good...except for one glitch. He had previously written me a letter for a scholarship, and he had clearly just changed "XYZ Scholarship" to "medical school." Which wouldn't be a problem, except that he forgot to do it in the last paragraph...so in the middle of my letter it says "I strongly believe that MsTaco would be an excellent candidate for the XYZ scholarship," instead of for medical school :eek:. Is this going to look bad to adcoms? To me it looked like he was lazy and not invested enough in my application to edit it...which doesn't look so hot for how much he cared for me as a mentee. Am I reading too much into this? I know professors are so often overloaded and LORs really are at the bottom their priorities...but come on, he couldn't even edit for me? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure schools have run into this situation before. It reflects poorly on your letter writer, not on you (IMO).

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Agreed. On the other hand, you can't really confront anyone on the issue since you probably agreed to confidentiality of the letters. So either mentioning this glitch to your former PI or contacting adcoms will raise further questions about how you managed to read the letter in the first place.