1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Minoring/Majoring in a Liberal Art w/a Science Major

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ebsameer, Aug 6, 2006.

1. ebsameer

ebsameer Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

This post stems off my other, so, yea.

I was curious as to whether there were any Pre-Med students majoring in both Science and a liberal art (or minoring in the liberal art).

For those who have, what kind of difficulties did you meet (aside from ignorance) in balancing both a Science major and a Liberal Art major/minor? What were reponses from med schools to your choice?

As of now, I'm majoring in Biology (not only b/c of Pre-med), and hoping to minor in Art History (like the subject). Would it be wise to bump it up to a major or keep it as a minor (requires 36 hours for a BA in ARTH)? I'm just worried it might become overkill if I try double majoring with Biology...

Please share your awkward major/minor combinations (Science + Liberal Art). Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LucidSplash

LucidSplash Bloody Plumber
    Physician Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I majored in Biochemistry/Molecular Biology and minored in Anthropology. I would have gone for the double major if not for two things: 1 - I didn't discover anthro until sophomore year, leaving too little time to squeeze in everything I needed to major (it was technically possible but not without a psychotic courseload for the remaining 5 semesters that I didn't think I could maintain) and 2 - the biochemistry/mol. bio. thesis was a two semester thesis at my school and I didn't want to be trying to do two thesises at the same time.

I didn't really experience anything to do with ignorance. Such interdisciplinary stuff was/is encouraged at my undergrad. As for med schools, they ALWAYS like to see a well rounded person. Its good for your CV, but, especially a minor, it isn't so great that you should do it just for your CV. If you really love the subject then go for it! You may or may not get some questions on it at an interview and you'll be able to talk about why you like the subject so much.

Also, I had a few VERY time consuming ECs that would have made double majoring very difficult, maybe even to the point of dropping some ECs that I loved (Crew team, taekwondo club). The major in athro would have been great, but not worth me giving up crew or tkd for.

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agree with this -- a double major or a minor won't make a huge difference in admissions. But if you like it, go for it.

5. doctor0125

doctor0125 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    advice sameer, my advisor once told me "a minor is like a driver license everyone has one who gives a **** that you have one" go all the way get a major.

6. mvenus929

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    My adviser just randomly suggested that I consider a minor in History when I went in for advising. She also said that since I was considering going to med school, it would show that I was a little different from the typical Chem major (and I have now switched to Bio). Plus, it was only like 4 extra classes, and since I did a huge research paper in high school in history, it seemed like a good idea, so I'm giving it a shot. No idea if it'll help me, but I can tell my boyfriend's dad that I have a minor in history and actually spark a conversation with him (he's a history major). :)

7. Lbgem

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was a Celtic Studies & Bio double major. I actually found that the Celtic St. helped me quite a bit to relax from all the stress of the science classes. Yes at some points it was crazy, but all in all I absolutely loved Celtic studies as the professors were awesome (individual attention - for better or worse :p), classes were structured completely different from the science ones and I felt that I found my niche at the campus. And I get the :confused: looks ALL the time when I mention Celtic Studies (it's not pronounced Sel-tic Studies people), but hey comes with the territory.

Only you can decide whether or not double majoring is right for you. My suggestion though is don't do it for any other reason than your own desire. Would you still do a double major if you weren't going to med school and you didn't care about what adcoms thought?

As for what med schools think...guess we'll see when I apply next year...

8. ebsameer

ebsameer Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Thanks for replies everyone.

If this were a perfect world, I'd major in Art History alongside Biology without thinking twice. Although it's one of my more recent passions (since last year), I've quickly grown on it! Plus, the university offers many classes which specialize in certain periods and movements, so I'd be glad to fulfill the 36 hour req.

My only worry was that it may become detrimental in terms of courseload. I'll begin incorporating it into my schedule now (Freshman, 1st sem.), so that way I should be able to at least pull it off as a minor. I'll definetly consider extending it to a major (I'll only be 16 hours off).

Thanks for the advice!

9. MahlerROCKS

5+ Year Member

I have yet to apply, but I am double majoring in biochem and classics. The combination in peculiar because my biochem classes are 10 times easier than my classics courses

10. Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have minors in psychology and sociology.

and i love it.

11. Nerdoscience

Nerdoscience Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I was a Linguistics major, with an Interdisciplinary Area (like another major, but not) in Neuroscience and a minor in Biology. You really don't need to be a science major to get into med school. It just makes fitting in all those requirements (and research, if you are going to do any) in since they will overlap with your major.

12. morganlefay

morganlefay hanging in there
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ooh, Celtic (yep, Kel-tic!) Studies is definitely cool.
    I was a Lit and Bio double major, and it rocked. I esp. love Renaissance, early English, and Celtic literature, and through this I discovered the field of the history of medicine... so it completely ties in with my interest in medicine and helped me to balance out all the science. I would have gone insane without Lit! I dunno how med schools are gonna take it, but I think the balance and the fact that Lit led to me to my interest in evolution of the medical field and a more holistic look at the practice of medicine (i.e. whole body, mind, soul connection,etc.) should help me. At least it better, I'm writing about it in just about all my essays! :p
    Science/lib arts combos are definitely the coolest ;)