Minorities - have any of you struggled with belonging in academics and how have you handled it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm older than most students at University (later 20s) and I'm brown skinned. Several people act surprised when I say I'm a student here and I'm asked every now and then if I am. People seem to be confused by my presence here and it's frustrating. I walked into a TA-led study session recently and was asked if I was in the right place. This does seem to have to do with my age more than my skin color. But I have also struggled with my race when going to interviews recently. I had a bad interviewer recently who acted disinterested from the start and didn't smile or say hello as she marched toward me...She acted like she had made her decision and wanted to just get through it and be done. I figured she wouldn't invite me for an interview if this had to do with my resume and I felt pretty down last week thinking that perhaps she expected someone with a different appearance. It may not have had anything to do with my race, but I couldn't help but feel that perhaps it did.

I feel that people have their ideas about race and academics or race and capability... and it frustrates me. In fact, I decided to write a paper in critique of the sloppy attempts of certain scientists to argue that certain ethnic/racial groups are less intellectually capable and in bringing up this topic to my professor, she made some comment along the lines of "This topic can get me so frustrated.... (a bit later) It goes whites (motioned high up with her hand) and then asians (motioned below previous point with her hand)-hahaha!" English isn't her first language and I accepted the idea that she just wasn't able to get across what she was truly saying and that I was missing something. I'm usually either one of a few or the only student in my classes with some african ancestry (and I'm only half). After reading one article for a class about race and capability, which suggested that there are genetic differences among groups and that we should just accept it, I noticed before the start of the lecture a few people in the class staring at me as we were all getting settled into our seats.

I don't honestly feel that I don't belong. I enjoy the material and I do well with it. I've had several professors compliment me, my critical thinking ability and the questions I ask. I don't honestly believe that I'm less capable because of my race (or my age), but it does still frustrate me and does, in my weak moments, have me feeling pessimistic about my opportunities and whether I should even bother pursuing certain opportunities. Most labs on campus, for instance, are entirely white/asian and I feel discouraged upon seeing these pictures on their lab pages...not because I think I'm incapable, but because I get it in my head that they wouldn't bother with someone that wasn't white or asian. Racial biases are still abundantly present and I'm all too aware of this.

Members don't see this ad.

This is how medicine is. It will get better in residency and when your an attending because you will be surrounded by people in a hospital setting from all different backgrounds and careers. But as a minority in a academic setting, you are at a disadvantage and don't let anyone tell you, you are not. Its important to not make medicine your entire universe. Have interests and hobbies. This will balance you out. Ive had college professors make remarks that acted like my position in college was given to me yet by the end of the class, they were writing me a recommendation letter. Consider this a blessing. This will make you stronger. In medicine, everyone has to have a thick skin. Some people including us will have to be thicker than others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
People are rude for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes it’s race but I wouldn’t start assuming you know the reason is that.

Keep your head up, Just focus on your grades and test prep, when it comes time to actually click “submit” in amcas you are at an advantage

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
People are rude for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes it’s race but I wouldn’t start assuming you know the reason is that.

Keep your head up, Just focus on your grades and test prep, when it comes time to actually click “submit” in amcas you are at an advantage
Yea. And don't feel guilty about having this artificial advantage. This is one out of very few advantages in this world you will get as a minority. Trust me, use it to your utmost.

Reactions: 4 users
Yea. And don't feel guilty about having this artificial advantage. This is one out of very few advantages in this world you will get as a minority. Trust me, use it to your utmost.

Exactly. This is an everyday struggle throughout a minority's academic career...having to go above and beyond to prove to others and to yourself that you are capable. Even the professor who hung around my desk during every test (possibly to make sure I wasn't cheating) had a great impact on me - she made several rounds down my aisle only, stopping at my desk to look at my work, and never once visited the other side of the room... The students that wish to pair up with Asian students because they're thought to be smart while minorities are not...

It's a mental struggle that nobody else understands.

Reactions: 3 users
It's unfortunate but yes you will be see and feel little microagressions and bias here and there and sometimes it's straight up overt. When I first started medical school I REALLY felt the impact of being an "other" (so to speak) when looking around at people that don't look like me.

Keep your head down and do well in school, also go work in that lab and don't be discouraged with the lack of inclusion, you have to sorta kick down the doors in medicine sometimes. Slowly but surely black and brown people are becoming visible in the field.