Minorities in Osteopathic schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fullefect1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Osteopathic schools have a URM category? Does being a minority help in their application process. I am not considered a URM, but I just don't often hear about URM's on this board.

Members don't see this ad.

fullefect1 said:
Do Osteopathic schools have a URM category? Does being a minority help in their application process. I am not considered a URM, but I just don't often hear about URM's on this board.

No one out there is a minority, or knows someone who is applying to DO schools?

There are minorities in my school, in fact here are statistics from UMDNJ web-site

#1 in percentage of female enrollment (54%) as compared to all U.S. Osteopathic Medical Schools.

#1 in percentage of underrepresented student enrollment (24%) as compared to all U.S. Osteopathic Medical Schools.

#1 in percentage of total minority student enrollment (48%) as compared to all U.S. Osteopathic Medical Schools.

However, I am not sure that being a minority "helps you in the process" as this is not something you are scored in by the admissions office. Minorities are encouraged to apply and recruited because we definitely value diversity but we all got here on merit and by effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a minority and I have not heard this mentioned at any interviews, one-on-one talks with deans, other minority applicants or presentations for DO schools. At NYCOM I thought there was special consideration given or active recruiting becuase they have an Office of Equity and Opportunity. At the Open House I found out it is an office that helps students AFTER they matriculate to the school and it helps ALL students in adjusting to moving to NY, starting med school,etc.

I know NYCOM and UMDNJ don't offer any special scoring for URM and those both have a high percentage of URMs.

My stats are high MCAT for DO schools and below average GPA so I can't tell you I am getting special consideration anywhere.

Minorities represent about 8% of DO student body right now.

There is not, to the best of my knowledge, a book like there is for the MD programs. It's called Minority Student Opportunities in United States Medical Schools The MD book has stats for all MD schools as to how many minorities they interviewd and how many got in. It also has extensive information about minority programs, special financial aid programs and contact people for every single MD school of medicine.It is done every 2 years, I have the 2002 version butOsteopsthic schools should do one as well.