"minority" 3.45 GPA / non-science Master's to improve GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

innate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my UG degree was in engineering, and I'll soon be working on completing my last couple of pre-req classes for an MD program while working as a scribe. I am of hispanic origin with a ~3.45 GPA.

During my UG, I had the option of applying to an accelerated BS->MS program, which I did and was accepted, because my GPA was a bit higher starting off, at about 3.8. I have a few classes of Grad work under my belt which counted towards my BS, but I did not take any more of them since completing my BS.

Here's where the question comes in: I'm wondering if I should consider completing the master's degree (which would only entail 6 more classes) in industrial engineering simply to improve the GPA for my application? Is the master's degree factored in? Input appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't have your prerequisites completed, just make As in the rest of them and that should raise your GPA some.

If you do have your prerequisites completed, and money is not an issue, then sure, go ahead and finish the masters degree. A masters degree will not do much to offset a low MCAT or low GPA but will set you further apart from the normal applicant pool (which is good).

I almost did a dual BA/MA in economics but was persuaded to just focus on my pre-med classes and MCAT first. Perhaps we could complete our masters degrees during our interview year!

Yep, I have most of them done; I'm planning on Bio II and Biochem this coming fall semester and studying for the MCAT in the meanwhile. I imagine making A's in them would probably get me up to 3.5 at best so I don't think it'll do much for GPA (but will still try to get those A's for the sGPA).

That's true we could do our master's during interview year, but will it show on the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
It won't matter.
Master's grades do not change the undergrad gpa or how it is viewed.
Straight and to the point! Thank you for clarifying

Reactions: 1 user