Awesome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mknlb50

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are a minority I would definitely answer this question. Both dental and medical schools are actively pursuing minority applicants.

DUUUHHH... If you are a minority... SAY SO... otherwise you might miss out on potential scholarships and acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems as if your application is strong overall then you should get in somewhere, unless you apply late into the process and the schools can't consider your application fully. If there are scholarships for minorities this seems like a way to put your name in for consideration. However, I'm not convinced it'll make any difference for admissions-except possibly at schools with and for predominantly minority students.

I'm registering for my DAT and I came across this question...
"Do you wish to be considered a minority applicant for recruitment purposes?"

Will this affect how I will get accepted in the long process if I say yes or no??

Thanks.

If you would like to spend ther rest of your life wondering if you got accepted into dental school on your own merit or simply to fill a quota, then by all means check "yes." However if you would like to be judged against all other applicants in an unbiased manner, then leave the box empty and see how you fair.

If you would like to spend ther rest of your life wondering if you got accepted into dental school on your own merit or simply to fill a quota, then by all means check "yes." However if you would like to be judged against all other applicants in an unbiased manner, then leave the box empty and see how you fair.

This coming from someone that probably has 2 parents that are dentist, and pay alumni dues every month.

Reactions: 1 user
This coming from someone that probably has 2 parents that are dentist, and pay alumni dues every month.
Actually, my dad has been in prison since I was 3, and my brother and I got taken away from my mom by social services for her drug abuse. So I have lived with a dozen + foster families and funded my own way through undergrad and dental school by working and with loans. So how dare you judge my socioeconomic status - I guarantee you that you came from a more priviledged background than I. But,I am not a minority and therefore receive no "special" treatment. Equating race with income or social status is the knee jerk response from minorities, and seeing how I can't see much except a big shiny spot on your forehead in your avatar, I assume that you are. So yeah, it really chaps my a$$ that minorities are spoon fed scholarships when there are many non-minorities that need them as much or more, but don't have access to them because of being a "rich white kid."

Actually, my dad has been in prison since I was 3, and my brother and I got taken away from my mom by social services for her drug abuse. So I have lived with a dozen + foster families and funded my own way through undergrad and dental school by working and with loans. So how dare you judge my socioeconomic status - I guarantee you that you came from a more priviledged background than I. But,I am not a minority and therefore receive no "special" treatment. Equating race with income or social status is the knee jerk response from minorities, and seeing how I can't see much except a big shiny spot on your forehead in your avatar, I assume that you are. So yeah, it really chaps my a$$ that minorities are spoon fed scholarships when there are many non-minorities that need them as much or more, but don't have access to them because of being a "rich white kid."

This is the interweb, you can make your family life as bad as you want. As a child my family grew up in rural gorgia, living in slavery, unaware of emancipation. We did not realize that blacks were living in freedom until we got enough courage to run away. I learned to read when I was 16 years old, and was still able to finish highschool and college before I was 23. So did I come from a more priviledged background than you?(( And everybody knows you gets loans to cover dental school, espcially if your efc =0, so you are funding your d-school like everyone else!!!)) .

I don't see how leaving it unchecked will not let d-schools know what race you are? Well, maybe they won't notice during your interview... :rolleyes:
-ld

I don't see how leaving it unchecked will not let d-schools know what race you are? Well, maybe they won't notice during your interview... :rolleyes:
-ld

True.... :laugh:

Use every advantage you can.

Chill out guys... no need to get all bent out of shape!

Marion

Reactions: 1 user

If they're accepting people simply to 'fill a quota' then, SOMEONE is going to benefit from being a minority. If not you, then someone else, so why not benefit from it?

Besides, chances are that if you're not at all qualified to get into dental school, then you won't. Minority or not.

spoon fed scholarships....riiiiiiight, this post went really bad, really fast.

i hope they catch your ignorance at the interview and keep you out of my class. if you think that of your peers what will you think of your patients.

CLOSE THE POST!!!!
thanks

??

Well, if you dont think you are getting preferential treatment you can always not select it. That is exactly what my hispanic friend did getting into law school. I of course disagreed with him saying if they are going to fill a quota, if they dont take you, theyll just take someone else. As a result(or maybe not? who can say?) he didnt get into his top 2 choices but he still made it into a school and hes happy with the way things turned out. I cant say Id have done the same but then again, I'm not him. Totally different experiences shaped who he is. In short, go with whatever feels right to you. Id rather check yes than get rejected and wonder what if.