Minors or double majors with a psych degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollie123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of those would be relevant. It really matters more exactly what you want to do within clinical psychology...its a broad field so saying you want to go into "Clinical or counseling" doesn't really narrow down the list of relevant majors.

If I could do it again, I would probably double in Psychology and Neuroscience, and minor in comp sci, as neuro and comp sci are WAY more relevant to my day to day activities than something like sociology would be. That's me though, like I said, it depends where your focus is.

I imagine other good ones depending on what you want to do would be pretty much any health-based science (e.g. nursing, biomedical science, etc.), English, Philosophy, Biomedical Engineering, many of the humanities (e.g. Women's studies, African American Studies), public health, public policy, the list goes on. Really it boils down to what kind of psychologist you see yourself being.

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to Florida Tech in the fall for the Psy D. program in clinical psychology. One area of psychology that caught my interest was Forensic Psychology. I got a minor in criminal justice, which lead to my psychology internship at the Department of Juvenile Justice. I think that my minor helped focus my interests as well as provide opportunities to get experience in forensic psychology. That experience was invaluable during my application process, even interview day.

MOD NOTE: I merged your threads as you cross-posted to both of the psychology forums (which isn't allowed). You'll get more replies in the doctoral forum, which is why I kept your thread in here. -t4c