Minors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SloppyJoe

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do u guys think about minors? Do your think they will strength your resume and make it stand out? Or maybe it does not matter at all? I am a bio major w/ minors in humanities and chemistry. What are everone's majors/minors?

Members don't see this ad.

I majored in Bio and minored in Architecture..

I don't think my minor ever impressed any job or school interviewer though.. They never let me get to the point where I can wax poetic about Mies Van der Rohe's minimalist style or Frank Lloyd Wright's nature themes or his famous giant toilet bowl on 5th Avenue in New York City known as the Guggenheim Museum... :p

My minor was in musicology and my interviewers were impressed when they found out how well arounded I am. It gives some interesting things to talk about but I don't think it will help you that much in terms of getting into dental schools.

Originally posted by Bruin2k
My minor was in musicology and my interviewers were impressed when they found out how well arounded I am. It gives some interesting things to talk about but I don't think it will help you that much in terms of getting into dental schools.

I totally agree with Bruin2k, everyone is a biology or chemistry major. Majors don't mater, so if you are interested in like Humanities I would just major in that. I was lucky that I love studying about the nervous system and languages so I'm majoring in Asian Language & Literature and Neurobiology. Most of the dentists I worked for agree that my choice of majors will spark great interview conversations. Neurobiology is a competitive major at my school, and I believe I am the only undergraduate South Asian Language major at my school.

But I didn't major in them to impress the adcoms, but I really love learning languages, especially south asian and middle eastern languages.

Diversify your application. The adcoms are tired of seeing the same 'ol thing.

DesiDentist