MIP and Lawsuit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoniah

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've got a question...as part of the secondary I had to fill out a disclosure form. One of the questions on this form was "Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony or been the defendant in a civil suit?" Well, when I was a junior in high school (2003) I was charged with minor in posession of alcohol, but the ticket was withdrawn after I completed a diversion class. But, I am also the named defendant in a civil suit arising from a 2004 automobile accident...so I've got a double-whammy against me here. Do you think those two things really matter all that much? I asked the admissions counselor at the med school and she said the MIP won't matter at all, especially since it was dismissed. She said since the suit arose from a car accident that she doubted it would play a role, but she wasn't sure...anyone have an idea about this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I've got a question...as part of the secondary I had to fill out a disclosure form. One of the questions on this form was "Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony or been the defendant in a civil suit?" Well, when I was a junior in high school (2003) I was charged with minor in posession of alcohol, but the ticket was withdrawn after I completed a diversion class. But, I am also the named defendant in a civil suit arising from a 2004 automobile accident...so I've got a double-whammy against me here. Do you think those two things really matter all that much? I asked the admissions counselor at the med school and she said the MIP won't matter at all, especially since it was dismissed. She said since the suit arose from a car accident that she doubted it would play a role, but she wasn't sure...anyone have an idea about this? Thanks!

you don't need to mention the MIP. It isn't a misdemeanor (from the way you describe it) and you weren't convicted (since the charge was withdrawn).

I don't think the civil suit will hurt you. Just fill out the essay, put in the necessary facts, you don't have to go into excessive detail.

See, and that's what I thought! I wasn't going to include the MIP bit, but I called the med. school to make sure and they said I should include it anyways just to be on the safe side...

It was interesting, though, because a lawyer I talked to said for the Bar exam he had to list every infraction he ever had...but he said these things are really more a matter of honesty as opposed to what you list. He said that as long as you don't establish a pattern of behavior, schools are more interested in whether or not you are honest about your past.

Members don't see this ad :)
See, and that's what I thought! I wasn't going to include the MIP bit, but I called the med. school to make sure and they said I should include it anyways just to be on the safe side...

Well then take the med school's advice over mine. Include it.

It was interesting, though, because a lawyer I talked to said for the Bar exam he had to list every infraction he ever had...but he said these things are really more a matter of honesty as opposed to what you list. He said that as long as you don't establish a pattern of behavior, schools are more interested in whether or not you are honest about your past.

I would agree with this, as long as there's no patter, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Answer these questions honestly, but you only need to answer the questions asked. If they only ask about misdemeanors and felonies that you have been convicted of, then you needn't list other charges. But since they asked about civil litigation, you need to list this lawsuit. As for what gets listed in lawyer bar exam applications, you are right, they ask far more info. This is because part of that application involves a background check and character evaluation. You may face similar things come licensing time down the road. As your friend suggested, being caught lying about this often has greater repercussions than listing things. So be honest.

Well, I was entirely honest with what I sent them. I explained both situations, moreso the MIP simply because I added a "this is what I learned" portion to it. But, under advice from a lawyer, I only gave a very basic description of the suit. I'm just hoping these two things are not that important in the admissions process.