brutus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
Anyone know of any good miracle stories? Something like, "I know someone with a 3.6 GPA and 29 MCAT that got into Harvard."

Just looking for some rays of hope!!!

chem01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 26, 2001
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Status
I am not sure if you are looking for miracles happening at top 10 schools, but I know of some at other schools:

Entering Class Fall 2001:

3.7/28 -- Medical College of Ohio
3.5/29 -- University of Cincinnati
3.8/25 -- University of Cincinnati

Entering Class Fall 2002:

3.9/26 -- Mercer

brutus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
Thanks! Didn't mean to imply it had to be a top 10 school.

As my family doctor says, "Any medical school is a good medical school".

:)

About the Ads

Resident Alien

What?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2001
Cleveland
www.tauseefbarakat.cjb.net
Status
Originally posted by chem01
I am not sure if you are looking for miracles happening at top 10 schools, but I know of some at other schools:

Entering Class Fall 2001:

3.7/28 -- Medical College of Ohio
3.5/29 -- University of Cincinnati

I dont mean to be offensive to any of the above medical schools, but getting in with those scores into mco and cincinnati isnt exactly a miracle (just check their averages from MSAR).

jennyw17

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2002
Seattle, WA-->DMU
Status
two sort of miracle stories
3.45/29 university of MN, loyola, finch, and university of cincinnati
3.8/25 medical college of wisconsin, loyola.
both from a no name private college.

ttac

Trust me, it's still fun.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2001
Not Philly...
Visit site
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If "any med school is a good med school" then here goes:

Class of 2006
2.78/37 DUCOM, USUHS

I know this guy really well ;) and he loves it at DUCOM.

-ttac

womansurg

it's a hard life...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by ttac
If "any med school is a good med school" then here goes:

Class of 2006
2.78/37 DUCOM, USUHS

Gee, I'd have thot a 37 would get you in most places. GPAs don't seem to matter so much unless they are low in BCP, and with a 37 that's unlikely...

Ninjaboy

Taneuma
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2002
www.espn.com
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It seems to me that if getting into med school with a 3.5-3.7 and upper 20's MCAT is a miracle, then miracles are easier to come by than I thought. I think there are a ton of people who get with those type of stats.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2002
california
Visit site
Status
ninjaboy, i totally agree.
a 3.6 and a 28 mcat isn't a miracle! in fact, it's not far off the average scores of people admitted to med school.

ttac

Trust me, it's still fun.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2001
Not Philly...
Visit site
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by womansurg
Gee, I'd have thot a 37 would get you in most places. GPAs don't seem to matter so much unless they are low in BCP, and with a 37 that's unlikely...

I actually think it's pretty much impossible to get into a top 50 with a GPA of 2.8 (although I did get an interview at UC Davis)...there are far too many premeds who were much better students with GPA's of ~3.6+. My BCPM was much lower than my AO, actually... 1F, 4D's, 9C's, and nothing higher than a B in any science classes as an undergrad. One semester I had 3 D's and a C, and was put on academic probation.

Still, that's probably why it took me 3 years of applying (I'm class of '97...hence the username: Third Times a Charm :) ) and 7 postbac classes at UCSD to prove to adcoms that I finally had my head screwed on straight. I don't care that my med school will probably never be in the top 50...I'm extremely fortunate to be at _any_ US med school at all.

I guess going from absolute rock bottom to having the privilege of being able to study medicine makes me really appreciate things that much more...especially starting with a clean slate.

-ttac

dpark74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by ttac
I actually think it's pretty much impossible to get into a top 50 with a GPA of 2.8 (although I did get an interview at UC Davis)...there are far too many premeds who were much better students with GPA's of ~3.6+. My BCPM was much lower than my AO, actually... 1F, 4D's, 9C's, and nothing higher than a B in any science classes as an undergrad. One semester I had 3 D's and a C, and was put on academic probation.

Still, that's probably why it took me 3 years of applying (I'm class of '97...hence the username: Third Times a Charm :) ) and 7 postbac classes at UCSD to prove to adcoms that I finally had my head screwed on straight. I don't care that my med school will probably never be in the top 50...I'm extremely fortunate to be at _any_ US med school at all.

I guess going from absolute rock bottom to having the privilege of being able to study medicine makes me really appreciate things that much more...especially starting with a clean slate.

-ttac

Sounds to me that I'm in a similar situation as yours. I have a 2.97 uGPA and then went to grad school for a MS in chem.(3.92 there). I studied my ass off for the MCAT and got a 34. I'm glad I know someone with a similar background who entered med school.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads