brutus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
Anyone know of any good miracle stories? Something like, "I know someone with a 3.6 GPA and 29 MCAT that got into Harvard."

Just looking for some rays of hope!!!

chem01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 26, 2001
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Status
I am not sure if you are looking for miracles happening at top 10 schools, but I know of some at other schools:

Entering Class Fall 2001:

3.7/28 -- Medical College of Ohio
3.5/29 -- University of Cincinnati
3.8/25 -- University of Cincinnati

Entering Class Fall 2002:

3.9/26 -- Mercer

OP
B

brutus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
Thanks! Didn't mean to imply it had to be a top 10 school.

As my family doctor says, "Any medical school is a good medical school".

:)

About the Ads

Resident Alien

What?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2001
Cleveland
www.tauseefbarakat.cjb.net
Status
Originally posted by chem01
I am not sure if you are looking for miracles happening at top 10 schools, but I know of some at other schools:

Entering Class Fall 2001:

3.7/28 -- Medical College of Ohio
3.5/29 -- University of Cincinnati

I dont mean to be offensive to any of the above medical schools, but getting in with those scores into mco and cincinnati isnt exactly a miracle (just check their averages from MSAR).

jennyw17

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2002
Seattle, WA-->DMU
Status
two sort of miracle stories
3.45/29 university of MN, loyola, finch, and university of cincinnati
3.8/25 medical college of wisconsin, loyola.
both from a no name private college.

ttac

Trust me, it's still fun.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2001
Not Philly...
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If "any med school is a good med school" then here goes:

Class of 2006
2.78/37 DUCOM, USUHS

I know this guy really well ;) and he loves it at DUCOM.

-ttac

womansurg

it's a hard life...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by ttac
If "any med school is a good med school" then here goes:

Class of 2006
2.78/37 DUCOM, USUHS
Gee, I'd have thot a 37 would get you in most places. GPAs don't seem to matter so much unless they are low in BCP, and with a 37 that's unlikely...

Ninjaboy

Taneuma
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2002
www.espn.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It seems to me that if getting into med school with a 3.5-3.7 and upper 20's MCAT is a miracle, then miracles are easier to come by than I thought. I think there are a ton of people who get with those type of stats.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2002
california
Visit site
Status
ninjaboy, i totally agree.
a 3.6 and a 28 mcat isn't a miracle! in fact, it's not far off the average scores of people admitted to med school.

ttac

Trust me, it's still fun.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2001
Not Philly...
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by womansurg
Gee, I'd have thot a 37 would get you in most places. GPAs don't seem to matter so much unless they are low in BCP, and with a 37 that's unlikely...
I actually think it's pretty much impossible to get into a top 50 with a GPA of 2.8 (although I did get an interview at UC Davis)...there are far too many premeds who were much better students with GPA's of ~3.6+. My BCPM was much lower than my AO, actually... 1F, 4D's, 9C's, and nothing higher than a B in any science classes as an undergrad. One semester I had 3 D's and a C, and was put on academic probation.

Still, that's probably why it took me 3 years of applying (I'm class of '97...hence the username: Third Times a Charm :) ) and 7 postbac classes at UCSD to prove to adcoms that I finally had my head screwed on straight. I don't care that my med school will probably never be in the top 50...I'm extremely fortunate to be at _any_ US med school at all.

I guess going from absolute rock bottom to having the privilege of being able to study medicine makes me really appreciate things that much more...especially starting with a clean slate.

-ttac

dpark74

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by ttac
I actually think it's pretty much impossible to get into a top 50 with a GPA of 2.8 (although I did get an interview at UC Davis)...there are far too many premeds who were much better students with GPA's of ~3.6+. My BCPM was much lower than my AO, actually... 1F, 4D's, 9C's, and nothing higher than a B in any science classes as an undergrad. One semester I had 3 D's and a C, and was put on academic probation.

Still, that's probably why it took me 3 years of applying (I'm class of '97...hence the username: Third Times a Charm :) ) and 7 postbac classes at UCSD to prove to adcoms that I finally had my head screwed on straight. I don't care that my med school will probably never be in the top 50...I'm extremely fortunate to be at _any_ US med school at all.

I guess going from absolute rock bottom to having the privilege of being able to study medicine makes me really appreciate things that much more...especially starting with a clean slate.

-ttac
Sounds to me that I'm in a similar situation as yours. I have a 2.97 uGPA and then went to grad school for a MS in chem.(3.92 there). I studied my ass off for the MCAT and got a 34. I'm glad I know someone with a similar background who entered med school.

About the Ads