MIS/Colorectal fellowship for a UK trainee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

micky_88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Just an intro before I get to the issue, I am a UK surgical trainee, got 3 more years to go before I graduate as a colorectal surgeon. Currently unhappy with the load and training opportunities (I expect to perform 25 lap colorectal and probably 30-40 open stuff before I complete my training) as it is low on volume, more specific and speciality based and not diverse and generic as in the US. For e.g.: as a General surgical trainee, I haven't touched the pancreas so far and will not do in the remaining 3 years and will do very little oesophagus and gastric work. I am from Asia and plan to return to my home country in 4-5 years' time and might have to have a broad based experience to get a consultant job back home.

I am currently thinking of applying for a fellowship in MIS/ Colorectal in the US. Now I did sit the USMLE step 1 which I passed narrowly and step 2 CK which i failed before I came over to the UK. I got to admit I never really was serious about the steps and didn't put in even a month's worth of effort. It is 6 years now since i took the exams and the scores will expire in a years' time. I am not ECFMG certified. My question is

1. If I resit and clear the steps with a good score, how realistic are my chances of landing a fellowship position in the US? I do not mind a non accredited post as I am simply looking at a training opportunity in MIS/Colorectal/ Upper GI/ Bariatric at a high volume centre.

Some additional info :

Graduated in 2008, have 20- 25 publications in indexed journals, around 10 national and international presentations, close to 30 Audits, authored a chapter each in 2 textbooks, completed a research MS degree from a uniV in the UK and recently won a grant for an ongoing research.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Micky

Members don't see this ad.