Miscounted Pills and Malpractice Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rx9Sp0rts

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often does it happen in the Pharmacy profession where a Pharmacist gives the wrong amount of pills to a customer? and also, how much does a malpractice insurance cost for a Pharmacist? Thanks

--Rx9Sp0rts

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know exact figures, but a few observations. First, the malparactice insurance is usually extremely affordably priced. I don't know an exact amount, but it is easily affordable by pharmacists. While a pharmacy will provide insurance coverage for the pharmacist, it is STRONGLY advised the pharmacist purchase his own. For the price of insurance, a pharmacist almost can't afford NOT to buy it. As far as miscounted pills, it usually isn't a big deal. All scheduled meds are usually counted twice, (and sometimes again by the checking pharmacist) so the margin of error isn't that bad.

Non scheduled meds with no abuse potential often are only counted once. Mistakes are occassionaly made, but usually the count is only off by one or two, and maybe an occassional 5 here and there. For nonabuseable non scheduled meds, it usually isn't a huge deal. If the patient complains his "fluid pill" RX has 89 instead of 90, the pharmacist will often just give him another.

The real worry is giving the WRONG medicine or wrong strength rather than 1 too few or 1 too many. You get really good at counting really fast and an occassional spot check will reveal very few errors if proper attention is paid to the count.

Jason

Usually the only time anyone ever says anything is on their controlled medications, and 9 out of 10 those are bogus claims because it was double counted by the filling tech. If it is the first time a patient claims this, we would give them the extra 5 vicodin or whatever it was, and then put a notation in their file to double count and notate. If it happens again, they wouldn't get anything.
If its a C-II then you should be able to check your perpetual inventory to verify their claim. I have never ran into a problem with C-II's. I have had people claim they were shorted but a check of my perpetual inventory revealed I was right on and I expalin to them the "loss" had to be after it left the pharmacy.
For non-controlled medication, I usually just give them whatever they say they are missing. If it becomes a recurring issue a double count and notate would also be added to their file.
I have NEVER had anyone come back or call and say you gave me extra pills. Hehe. ;) It seems to only work one way.

I have pharmacists who say that the Kirby Lester counters are inaccurate and they refuse to use them. I used one for 2 years and never double counted anything (even controls) and I had, I think, only one customer come back and say they were shorted. (I did still double count C-II's by hand). Plus the counter's are MUCH quicker.

More information than you probably wanted, but that's my take on over/under counting. :)

I don't carry any malpractice insurance. I probably should. Anyone know any good carriers for California? Someone posted one here a bit ago, but when I called they didn't cover California. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Try Pharmacists Mutual. I pay 185/yr for 3 million per occurance and 6 mill/cumulative coverage. Very affordable. And if you think the chain you are working for will represent you..... I have never been sued thankfully, but I have a hard time imagining that a pharmacy would defend a pharmacist who "didn't follow procedures in place." After all, the pharmacies can prove that procedures are in place to insure no misfills occur - it was the fault of the pharmacist that the correct procedures were not followed. I would personally have someone defending me only, not also looking out for the best interest of the chain pharmacy. Just my two cents - I give this advice to all interns that I work with.

Do you really think Walgreens, etc. would admit in a court case that the misfill occurred due to inadequate staffing, poor training of ancillary personel, or anything else when they have a scapegoat who is "legally obligated to fill the prescription correctly prior to dispensing." ???

Ya, that's the one that was posted previously but they don't cover California. :(

Rx9,

It's getting harder to screw up. When filling at wags you use the baker counter that scans your printout and the bottle to confirm the med. You're then supposed to sign the NDC on the label after you've confirmed it. that's two checks by the filler. it is then verified by the pharmacist. I can count on half a hand the number of times we actually screwed up.

Vastly more f*ckups happen during pick-up of meds at out-window than during filling. We had an incident where a schedule drug when to the wrong person. they had the same obscure last name as another pt so know one thought to double check the address or even first name. We were subsequently audited. It was a royal pain in the nuts.