Misdemeanor after AMCAS submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

namho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a traffic citation for going 11 above the limit on a highway. I am in a state where this is considered a misdemeanor. My amcas application was verified on June 10. My secondaries (around 25) were submitted by mid July.

I've gotten an interview invite at a state school, but I don't know how I should approach this problem. I don't want to lie to schools and have a possible acceptance rescinded because a speeding ticket comes up on my background check. There was a thread I found in which that actually happened to someone.

Should I call schools individually, send a mass e-mail, or wait till interviews to mention it? I was considering not doing anything until I receive interviews, and then mentioning it in person.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Take it to court.
2. Extend the ruling long enough until the background check is complete
3. ???
4. Profit

I guess I could. But I have no case so I'd be wasting my time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes the cop doesn't show up

True. Though I don't think it matters in my state because eventually I'd have to face a jury. Yes, even for minor traffic violations, you have to eventually face a jury if you want to contest it.

Just call the schools whenever you can and simply explain. I think most people are willing to understand. I think most people have driven over the speedlimit before so its not really a big deal. Its just unfortunate for you that its a misdemeanor in your state.

Wow, you have a lot of nerve. You drive over 11 mph over the speed limit and now you want to save lives as a doctor? Talk about ironic. You're a criminal and doctors shouldn't be criminals, end of discussion.

But really, if the background check just shows your misdimeaner is a traffic violation why would they care? Doesn't sound like a big deal.

I'm in the same situation as you. I had my high beams on at night (I know, I'm an idiot), and now I'm taking the ticket to court.

Pray the cop doesn't show. Even if he does, sometimes they reduce your fines ... which is still better than not fighting the ticket at all.

Just call the schools whenever you can and simply explain. I think most people are willing to understand. I think most people have driven over the speedlimit before so its not really a big deal. Its just unfortunate for you that its a misdemeanor in your state.

That's what I'm thinking/hoping.

Wow, you have a lot of nerve. You drive over 11 mph over the speed limit and now you want to save lives as a doctor? Talk about ironic. You're a criminal and doctors shouldn't be criminals, end of discussion.

But really, if the background check just shows your misdimeaner is a traffic violation why would they care? Doesn't sound like a big deal.

I know. I'm on the fence about withdrawing all of my applications.

And this thread is why I'm concerned: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=868949&highlight=lost+acceptance+speeding+ticket. Although that person made the last post in that thread and said he eventually got his acceptance back. I'd just rather be honest and take care of it now, rather than have to explain it after they do a background check. I think LizzyM has mentioned that before.

Which state is this, if you don't mind my asking?

TexasFlagCowboy.jpg

Definitely don't withdraw. :laugh:

I would just email the schools informing them of the misdemeanor and explaining why you got it. I imagine that they'd just get a chuckle over the fact that a minor traffic violation would even show up on a criminal record and move on with their day.

Wait until people find out that speeding tickets are a misdemeanor in their state... ie Minnesota

Members don't see this ad :)
OP - you should consider hiring a lawyer and let them "settle" the ticket. Often times, when you hire an attorney for a moving violation, they are able to "settle" it with a non-moving violation plea. It costs about tripple the amount you'd have to pay if you go to court and plead guilty, but what most likely would show on your record is something other than a moving violation (ie., non-misdemeanor). Validate that with an attorney to make sure it works that way in your state. If it does, then that may be another way to resolve your problem. Good luck.

I'd think you should simply be as honest as pie. Don't bother to get a lawyer just to erase a misdeanor charge like this. It starts to sound so much worse than how you explained it in your OP and you don't need a lawyer for such a minor infraction. They may not even take your case. And if they did, you're in for a whole lot more $$$ lawyer fees than if you simply accepted what you did, own up to it, and move on. Geez. 11 miles over the speedlimit. Your biggest offense could be trying lying about it.

I'd think you should simply be as honest as pie. Don't bother to get a lawyer just to erase a misdeanor charge like this. It starts to sound so much worse than how you explained it in your OP and you don't need a lawyer for such a minor infraction. They may not even take your case. And if they did, you're in for a whole lot more $$$ lawyer fees than if you simply accepted what you did, own up to it, and move on. Geez. 11 miles over the speedlimit. Your biggest offense could be trying lying about it.
Let's be clear. There is nothing "dishonest" about getting a lawyer and settling a traffic ticket. In fact, doing so saves you money on car insurance as rates often are increased when a moving violation is recorded. OP should check with his car insurance provider and see how much his rates will go up with a moving violation. Chances are the increase in insurance premiums will more than offest the court costs, fine and attorney fees. Also, in my state there are numerous "Traffic Law Centers" located in strip malls staffed by attorneys who are in business to take these kind of cases.

In the last application cycle this happened a couple of times. If you are invited for an interview, just bring along an addendum to your application with an explanation of the nature of the offense. You might as well give your explanation up front since it will appear on the crimnal background check they will run when you are accepted. This type of offense had no influence on the committee's decision (in my experience this year). Failure to report is perceived to be a greater offence.

Let's be clear. There is nothing "dishonest" about getting a lawyer and settling a traffic ticket. In fact, doing so saves you money on car insurance as rates often are increased when a moving violation is recorded. OP should check with his car insurance provider and see how much his rates will go up with a moving violation. Chances are the increase in insurance premiums will more than offest the court costs, fine and attorney fees. Also, in my state there are numerous "Traffic Law Centers" located in strip malls staffed by attorneys who are in business to take these kind of cases.

This is what I would do. Get a lawyer (family friend if possible) and just show up to the court date. They can talk to the prosecutor before the proceedings start and usually arrange for you to plead down to a lesser charge. This happens with pretty much every traffic ticket that people fight with court. The lesser charge carries less points but costs more $$$ usually.

Just send all the schools an email letting them know. Here's the relevant part of the AMCAS manual
You must inform the Admissions Office of each medical school to which you apply if you are convicted of, or plead guilty or no contest to, a misdemeanor crime after the date of your submission of this application and prior to your medical school matriculation. Your communication to each medical school must be in writing, and must occur within ten (10) business days of the occurrence of the criminal charge or conviction. If you are unsure if you need to include a previous incident, contact the jurisdiction of occurrence for clarification of the charge.
By the way, TMDSAS says not to disclose minor traffic violations like this so the above is only relevant for AMCAS

I thought that I had a similar issue so I put it down on my application. I don't think it had any impact on my application. In the end, it actually didn't show up on my background check but no one said anything about it to me

Call a lawyer. It probably will cost under 500. While that's not cheap, they can probably end up saving you some insurance money, and 500 is worth the piece of mind. Obviously this depends on the state but in many states they can easily get the charge reduced or even dropped.

Dude. That's crazy. But like everyone else here, I'm fairly certain schools won't care about a traffic violation. Hire a lawyer, what's the worst that could happen? You lose a few hundred bucks for the lawyer and you have to pay the fine you'd be paying anyway. Best case scenario is the case gets tossed or at least maybe the misdemeanor status and a reduced fine. The possible benefits of hiring a lawyer outweigh the few hundred dollars.

In your case, I'd either get it expunged by a lawyer or notify schools.

I still can't believe a speeding ticket would be a legal issue (misdemeanor) due to its extremely non-criminal basis. Let's all be honest, speeding tickets are generally just for revenue.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this your first speeding ticket? If it is, one option (at least in my state) is to go to "traffic school." You still have to pay the fine, but you get the citation off of your record.

I would imagine the schools that throw apps in the trash for misdemeanors also look at what it is out of curiosity. I think it's almost certain they would look at the crime before throwing the app out. After seeing it's a speeding ticket they won't care.

I'm glad my story continues to haunt applicants every cycle! As mentioned above, its not the speeding ticket itself, it's the perceived "falsification of information." Just tell the schools you interview at.

I guarantee that Medical Schools do not care about moving violations, even if it is a misdemeanor. So many people have received speeding tickets it's not even funny. Maybe if you got reckless endangerment, but even then it's iffy.