Misdemeanor and Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4aFriend

Reaction score
Hi. This is a decoy profile to allow me to ask this anonymously. I am here for advice.

I recent was accepted to a dental school (class 2027). However, since AADSAS no longer asks about background and my schools supplemental did not ask, I am trying to get ahead of this by sending an email to the school. I am a nontraditional student (34) who worked as a DA for the last 14 years.

Here are the details:
2007- Retail Theft, misdemeanor; was with a “friend” who stuffed products into a bag that I carried out. Since I was holding, I got the charge. I was young and didn’t know to get a lawyer to aid me.

2017- DUI; It states it’s dismissed, but still shows up in the county records.

What I am wondering is if there is anyone out there who has experienced, or knows others, and still made it through professional school. Because of my background, I am very hesitant to enjoy my acceptance as I know it can be taken away based on the above. I’m not looking to excuse what I have gone through, but truly searching for others who have some insight. Please feel free to message me if you don’t want others to know.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. This is a decoy profile to allow me to ask this anonymously. I am here for advice.

I recent was accepted to a dental school (class 2027). However, since AADSAS no longer asks about background and my schools supplemental did not ask, I am trying to get ahead of this by sending an email to the school. I am a nontraditional student (34) who worked as a DA for the last 14 years.

Here are the details:
2007- Retail Theft, misdemeanor; was with a “friend” who stuffed products into a bag that I carried out. Since I was holding, I got the charge. I was young and didn’t know to get a lawyer to aid me.

What I am wondering is if there is anyone out there who has experienced, or knows others, and still made it through professional school. Because of my background, I am very hesitant to enjoy my acceptance as I know it can be taken away based on the above. I’m not looking to excuse what I have gone through, but truly searching for others who have some insight. Please feel free to message me if you don’t want others to know.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe this is the time to reach out to a lawyer if you have money

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on the acceptance. You could ask this question under Ask Your Question/Confidential Advice Forum.

Since as you mentioned AADSAS removed the question, the question may/should reappear when it comes to your enrollment checklist. You are best served to know how the school conducts a background check and have something prepared so that it doesn't surprise them. I think Certiphi tells you first before you release the results to the schools, so if you said the DUI still shows up, you need to warn student affairs.

Members don't see this ad :)
... I think Certiphi tells you first before you release the results to the schools, so if you said the DUI still shows up, you need to warn student affairs.
Didn’t know there was a such forum. Thank you. I’ll look at moving this.

I’ve included the above to Certiphi when I was presented. Also, been researching all over and know that my background check is to ensure licensure upon completion. However, I’ve not seen anything such as my circumstance. Most others are primarily multiple DUI scenarios. Like I said, I plan on drafting an email to submit and be upfront with them.

Didn’t know there was a such forum. Thank you. I’ll look at moving this.

I’ve included the above to Certiphi when I was presented. Also, been researching all over and know that my background check is to ensure licensure upon completion. However, I’ve not seen anything such as my circumstance. Most others are primarily multiple DUI scenarios. Like I said, I plan on drafting an email to submit and be upfront with them.
Thanks. It may be worth asking us in the Ask the Experts area since more adcoms and admins post there about similar confidential questions.

Have you completed the Certphi background check?

Yup. I would talk to a lawyer to see if both infractions can be expunged off your record. If it doesn't come up now during your admissions processing, it may come up again when it comes to obtaining a license.

Here are the details:

Thanks in advance.
UPDATE:

Certiphi didn’t show either on the background check. Everything came up at “CLEAR”. However, because I admitted to them, they are now included on the background check as “subject admitted to this”.

Do I still reach out to the school, or wait until their background check committee reaches out for clarification- IF they do?

You can check with the school to find out what the normal procedure is. I don't think you would be penalized if you had "subject admitted" in the background check if you also disclosed on your application.