Misdemeanor Charges that are Expunged- Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok Peeps, I was a bad 19 yr old boy and got into some trouble, misdemeanor trouble. Since then, I completed my probation and got my record expunged. I know this isn't a law-type forum, but any input would be appreciated; I'm applying this year and having an anxiety attack trying to figure out if I have to disclose that I was arrested even if the case is sealed. I did a background check on myself through nexuslexus and nothing came up, but does anyone know if it'll show up?? I know, I know..."you already did a background check on yourself so why are you asking this", but just want to triple check. Gracias!

Members don't see this ad.

as far as i know expunged = never happened. don't disclose it. the only way they would discover it is if it wasn't expunged correctly, and you could probably fix it with a lawyer.

^Wrong. Just because it was expunged doesn't mean time was erased and he never did the crime. They aren't asking if you got your record cleared. They want to know if you have ever committed a crime expunged or not. Do you have morals / ethics or not. OP, Its not impossible that they wont ever find out and do you want to take that chance? What if your about to graduate dental school and then they find out? That would really suck. Why don't you just be honest?

Members don't see this ad :)
easiest way to get an answer would be to call a few schools and ask them about it. See what they say, and then go from there. Maybe try calling aadsas and having them explain what they exactly mean.

I would call schools that you're interested in. Never give them your name, make one up.

From what I understand,
When the Judge order your case to be sealed, this means that as if it was never happened. Under no circumstance can unauthorized party access your file. (i think the only way to access it is by court order). You also have the right to not discuss this in your in any future events. (or even deny it)
I know this because my guest professor had a record on him that got sealed
He shared his story in front of the class.

I know i'm not an attorney, any description above is based on my experience. Please consult a proper attorney to consult your right regarding your case.
Good Luck

There is no ambiguity here. the question is, "Are you currently under charge or have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, other than minor traffic violations?" and the answer is no he hasn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expungement#United_States
"When an expungement is granted, the person whose record is expunged may, for most purposes, treat the event as if it never occurred."

Last edited:
Notin is correct. A judge who grants you an expungement does so precisely for situations such as this. It gives you the freedom to apply for jobs/schools without having to mention your former conviction. The only exceptions are things like government jobs and state licensing (including dental licenses). Your expunged misdemeanor can also still be used as a prior should you be charged with another crime, but that's never going to happen, right? ;)

]

Last edited:
[

Last edited:
please explain to me what being expunged means and what its purpose is

/7+78*

Last edited:
rp, no offense, but you're just spouting nonsense. go read about what expunging means.

What did you do to get your record expunged?

Many confuse deferred adjudication (DA) with expungement. The former refers to a condition of your probation where you will not be convicted of the offense if you finish your probation without getting in trouble again. So you won't have any convictions on record, but the arrest and charges will still be on record.

So with DA you can answer no when they asked if you've been convicted, but if they ask if you've been arrested you must answer yes.

You have to go through special process afterwards to get it expunged.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok Peeps, I was a bad 19 yr old boy and got into some trouble, misdemeanor trouble. Since then, I completed my probation and got my record expunged. I know this isn't a law-type forum, but any input would be appreciated; I'm applying this year and having an anxiety attack trying to figure out if I have to disclose that I was arrested even if the case is sealed. I did a background check on myself through nexuslexus and nothing came up, but does anyone know if it'll show up?? I know, I know..."you already did a background check on yourself so why are you asking this", but just want to triple check. Gracias!

i wouldn't worry too much about it. no need to address it, some schools will have secondary application requesting disclosure of record expunged. i actually had an interview at school where i had to disclose.

What does "convicted" mean?
That you went to court and the judge deemed you guilty of it?

Some of you guys have it correct. Others are making up law.

If it's expunged, then you can deny it ever happened. That's the law.

AADSAS can ask about it. They can phrase it however they want. You have the right to lie. Repeat: it's your legal right to deny it, regardless of how AADSAS asks the question.

I agree with the post above. Check with a lawyer to make sure though.

Does "convicted" mean you went to court and the judge deemed you guilty of the crime? or no?

I agree with the post above. Check with a lawyer to make sure though.

Does "convicted" mean you went to court and the judge deemed you guilty of the crime? or no?

It means a decision was reached. Most of the trial is determining what actually happened. Being "arrested" means little, because you can be arrested wrongfully (without having done anything illegal). Being "charged" means little, because that just means they're blaming you, and they still have to determine whether you did anything.

And for a decision to be reached you have to go to court, correct?

And for a decision to be reached you have to go to court, correct?

Most often you're in court, but there are ways where you may not have to physically be in court, I think. There are certain legal proceedings to bypass an actual trial. But yea, generally you're in court.

If your case is sealed, it's sealed. When I was applying for the HPSP, my recruiter told me I should have had my case sealed because not even the army/airforce/navy could see that (I had to file a bunch of extraneous paperwork because I didn't have it sealed). I just had a misdemeanor drinking violation and I put it on the AADSAS application and still got in, but i'm not sure how an arrest would look.

It means a decision was reached. Most of the trial is determining what actually happened. Being "arrested" means little, because you can be arrested wrongfully (without having done anything illegal). Being "charged" means little, because that just means they're blaming you, and they still have to determine whether you did anything.

Correct. AADSAS and most secondaries only asks for convictions although they try to say "openly talking about pending charges won't immediately dismiss your application". That line itself is pretty vague but the question itself is purely asking for any convicted charges, not pending charges. Great advice from dentstd.

Last edited:
if i get my my minor misdemeanor expunged (trespassing into my community pool at 19, my status is dismissed) would it still show up on searches or even getting my license?

if it's expunged I wouldn't disclose it.