Misdemeanor expungement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungSon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Misdemeanor expungement will be completed around November to December. I will be applying this cycle and I was wondering if I should report the misdemeanor on the application (in which the expungement will be kind of a waste) or if I should exclude it since background checks won't be completed until january, february, march, and that is assuming I get accepted. It was for public intoxication a couple years back and it was amplified by the fact that I was underage back then. so what do you think... to report on AMCAS or not to report on AMCAS...

Some academic facts: cGPA: 3.85 sGPA: 3.83, extracurriculars include tutoring and mentoring underclassmen as well as playing a varsity sport. Taking mcats in a month and hoping to go somewhere in Pennsylvania, except this will be a black mark on my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Misdemeanor expungement will be completed around November to December. I will be applying this cycle and I was wondering if I should report the misdemeanor on the application (in which the expungement will be kind of a waste) or if I should exclude it since background checks won't be completed until january, february, march, and that is assuming I get accepted. It was for public intoxication a couple years back and it was amplified by the fact that I was underage back then. so what do you think... to report on AMCAS or not to report on AMCAS...

Some academic facts: cGPA: 3.85 sGPA: 3.83, extracurriculars include tutoring and mentoring underclassmen as well as playing a varsity sport. Taking mcats in a month and hoping to go somewhere in Pennsylvania, except this will be a black mark on my application.

even if you got to report it, this shouldn't have much of an impact at all. this is literally the "best" misdemeanor you can get.

I think this is a textbook example of "call the school and ask". It's not a high-stakes misdemeanor by any means, but it could still off-color your application to some adcoms, unfair as that may be. I think the only risk you run by just leaving it off without saying anything is if you get an early offer of admission, which would lead to a BGC before the expungement. Even then, I think the situation would be controllable by just explaining your reasoning.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because it won't be expunged until the fall, I think it would be safest to just report it. That way, it doesn't seem like you are hiding anything. I agree that its probably not a big deal regardless, but there may be some schools that would see it as a red flag for you to have not reported it. They may think you were trying to hide something if it was eventually found.

I guess you can't go wrong with calling the schools individually and asking like another poster said. If you don't do that, though, I think your best bet is to report it.

A public intox/underage consumption charge should not break you even if it isnt expunged. I would be safe and report it. Not reporting it and getting caught would definitely ruin your app. Why take the risk?

Report it and also mention that you have filed for expungement of the record in your explanation section and the expected date. It shouldn't hurt your application.

I believe you have to report all offenses, whether they are expunged or not. Check the requirements to be sure. Don't fool with Mother Nature, or with AAMC or you won't get validated.

Just share to be on the safe side. Multiple adcoms who have come to my school have told us that they would ignore alcohol-related charges (except for DUIs), but like others have said, if it seems like you're trying to hide it, you're done.