Misdemeanor question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palindr0me

hi.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was really young, let's say about 12 years old when I was convicted of a marijuana possession charge. I was not under the influence, I literally just had it on me. This was a one-year period in my life where I was struggling with identity, family stuff, etc. I went through a 6-month program to get the conviction off my record, and I also understand that these kind of charges are released after 18 years of age. Anyone have any insight into what I should do once secondaries come around? Will they ask me to explain this? I really think this is the most minimum of any charge possible (other than traffic). I was a pre-teen and have never had any other issues. Should I run a Certiphi background check, and if it doesn't come up omit the conviction from my secondaries?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that the prevailing suggestion is to run a background check on yourself and use that process to discover issues pertaining to record accuracy.

You won't be able to run a Certiphi background check for your personal use before you submit. You might dish out around $30-50 on a reputable background check site elsewhere, but then again, there is no guarantee that what won't show up on there will show up when a medical school runs one on you. However, if you have submitted your AMCAS application, you can run a Certiphi check that can cost as much as $150 for your personal use. But it's of my opinion to be up front about it if you are not 100% sure the medical schools have no way of finding out about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one is going to care about this even if you were 18-19. Just tell the truth.

I was really young, let's say about 12 years old when I was convicted of a marijuana possession charge. I was not under the influence, I literally just had it on me. This was a one-year period in my life where I was struggling with identity, family stuff, etc. I went through a 6-month program to get the conviction off my record, and I also understand that these kind of charges are released after 18 years of age. Anyone have any insight into what I should do once secondaries come around? Will they ask me to explain this? I really think this is the most minimum of any charge possible (other than traffic). I was a pre-teen and have never had any other issues. Should I run a Certiphi background check, and if it doesn't come up omit the conviction from my secondaries?

Thanks!