Misdemeanor while in pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golddagger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in pharmacy school. While on vacation for the Christmas and New Year holiday, I got in trouble with police. I was arrested and booked in jail and waiting for trial. I was charged with misdemeanor Class 1 (assault)-domestic related violence in Arizona state. What do I need to do? Do I have to inform the pharmacy school committee about this? Will they dismiss me or ask me to leave school? I hope not.
Does anyone know, or has been through this, if I will be allowed to apply for pharmacy license in the USA, whether convicted/non-convicted, or charged dismissed? Will I get a chance to become and work my journey to work as a pharmacist.

Will I have a hard time to get placed in rotation sites during my fourth year?
I am currently working with an attorney to represent me in the court and hoping to get the charge dismissed or dropped by the court.

Please give any feedback on this because I am innocent and never had any crimes or drug offenses in the past. This is the first time I get something like this.

Please help me and shed some light on this matter.

Thanks to all of you and God bless!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I would like to start by saying I am not an attorney , here is my understand of it.
To answer your first question, do NOT tell your school anything. There is no way in the world they will find out about it once you are accepted, unless someone snitches. So don't tell anyone anything (including your classmates). Now once you graduate, this is the part that you will not like. I am only familiar with California process, but when you apply to take NAPLEX, it asks you to list any offenses (including misdemeanors) that were at one point charged, EVEN IF THEY WERE DISMISSED. Also when you apply to a job in the future, they will do a background check and it may or may not show up. SO this what you should do to know if it will show up or not. Once the case is closed, wait a month and go to (Self-Query Home ) and basically this is a background check. If nothing shows up here, then you're good. But until then, you have nothing to worry about in regards to school and rotations.

Ok, I would like to start by saying I am not an attorney , here is my understand of it.
To answer your first question, do NOT tell your school anything. There is no way in the world they will find out about it once you are accepted, unless someone snitches. So don't tell anyone anything (including your classmates). Now once you graduate, this is the part that you will not like. I am only familiar with California process, but when you apply to take NAPLEX, it asks you to list any offenses (including misdemeanors) that were at one point charged, EVEN IF THEY WERE DISMISSED. Also when you apply to a job in the future, they will do a background check and it may or may not show up. SO this what you should do to know if it will show up or not. Once the case is closed, wait a month and go to (Self-Query Home ) and basically this is a background check. If nothing shows up here, then you're good. But until then, you have nothing to worry about in regards to school and rotations.

I visited the Arizona State Pharmacy Board and I looked at the application and a question asked "Have you been arrested for, convicted, dismissed, of a felony or misdemeanor? Answer YES to this question even crime record has been expunged, set aside (in Arizona there is no expungement but set aside which mean record will be marked as dismissed or like met all condition)

Do you think I can answer no even if just I was arrested or will they find out? I ask this cause I want to know how will I need to play this. I mean if arrests are not shown on background checks, why would the hell I need to answer YES to this question, why not just cover my butt and get a way with it. Believe me I am not trying to be dishonest but things and problems can happen to anyone.

Do you know if arrest record/non convicted or dismissed/or charges dropped are shown on criminal background checks done by employers like pharmacy employers or crime checks done by school experiential services?

Does court release arrest record beside whether there is conviction or not?

Anything you share or if you could ask anyone to help as well will be sincerely appreciated?