Misdemeanor...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hsto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

A week after I turned 18, I stole a tube of mascara and got caught. I went to court and got a "Guilty Deferred", completed the class I was suppose to and that was the end of that. I was under the impression it would be dismissed or expunged, but I just used case look-up and it is still showing "Guilty Deferred" but that I completed everything.

Will this make it impossible for me to get into medical school? I have never stolen anything after that and have a very decent GPA. It's been 4 years and I have at least two more years until I apply to medical school.

Is there anything I can do to fix this blemish? And prove that that's not the kind of person I am.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you should look into getting it expunged; seek a lawyer's help, since we really won't be able to help you on this.

But just out of curiosity, why a tub of mascara?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this is possible but can you get it expunged at this point?

Otherwise I would just be honest about it in your applications and demonstrate your personal growth since that incident.

First and foremost I would speak to a lawyer. Do whatever you can to get this off of your record.

Secondly, if that doesn't work. Then own up to it, and take full-responsibility and tell ADCOMs how you've grown since then. This is from a few years ago, and I'm sure ADCOMs have seen worse.

Sealing/expungement isn't automatic; you usually have to go petition the court for that to happen.

Have you tried putting on the mascara?

Legally owned mascara, yes. They tend to confiscate stolen goods after you're caught.
Anyway, while my lashes look fabulous, the blemish still remains.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope this isn't too forward of me, but I was hoping @Goro might possibly have some insight too?

I will look into getting it expunged, but I'm not currently in the state that it happened.

I'm not entirely sure what "Guilty Deferred" means. According to Google, I plead guilty in return for the chance to do a probationary period and eventually get an expunged case (if the judge feels so inclined).

I hope this isn't too forward of me, but I was hoping @Goro might possibly have some insight too?

I will look into getting it expunged, but I'm not currently in the state that it happened.

I'm not entirely sure what "Guilty Deferred" means. According to Google, I plead guilty in return for the chance to do a probationary period and eventually get an expunged case (if the judge feels so inclined).

Four years sounds like a long time for a probationary period! I'm guessing you have been doing plenty of volunteering for medical school (just a wild guess of course ;)). I would probably present this to the court and not mention that you're pre-med. You'll look like a saint! I don't think you'd have any issues getting an expungement. Of course you should consult with a lawyer.

Four years sounds like a long time for a probationary period! I'm guessing you have been doing plenty of volunteering for medical school (just a wild guess of course ;)). I would probably present this to the court and not mention that you're pre-med. You'll look like a saint! I don't think you'd have any issues getting an expungement. Of course you should consult with a lawyer.

agreed

also, lol'd for real at the blemish comment.

Oh, I should clarify, I'm sorry. The probationary period was 6 months and I had to take a class (that was mainly a "don't do drugs and don't steal" sort of thing). I completed that. I thought that meant it was dismissed, but I looked it up today and it's not listed as dismissed. It shows I've completed everything, though.

I just looked up the state law on expunged cases and they said cases involving moral turptitude aren't eligible. I'll still call and speak to people personally, and seek legal advice, but that's still disheartening.

"Guilty deferred" means that if you stay out of trouble the verdict may eventually be thrown out. However, theft is a moral turpitude.

A single minor misdemeanor from several years ago won't hurt your chances, even if it's theft. Other people on SDN got in with similar records.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be fine as long a you are willing to discuss it at any length an interview wants.

If @Goro answers in this thread, I know exactly what he is going to say... ;)

But yeah, as others have said, this was a while ago and not anything too significant. You have people getting admitted for far worse things, like DUIs for instance. I would just own up to it and tell the ADCOMs what you've learned. NO EXCUSES! If you have a chance, you can also speak to underprivileged youth about the dangers of stealing.

Reactions: 1 users
An exemplary record speaks for itself. I don't think that this will be an issue. If, in any of your ECs, you have a position where you are a role model, then play that up!

Did I come close, Planes?

If Goro answers in this thread, I know exactly what he is going to say..

Hi,

A week after I turned 18, I stole a tube of mascara and got caught. I went to court and got a "Guilty Deferred", completed the class I was suppose to and that was the end of that. I was under the impression it would be dismissed or expunged, but I just used case look-up and it is still showing "Guilty Deferred" but that I completed everything.

Will this make it impossible for me to get into medical school? I have never stolen anything after that and have a very decent GPA. It's been 4 years and I have at least two more years until I apply to medical school.

Is there anything I can do to fix this blemish? And prove that that's not the kind of person I am.

Reactions: 1 users
An exemplary record speaks for itself. I don't think that this will be an issue. If, in any of your ECs, you have a position where you are a role model, then play that up!

Did I come close, Planes?

If Goro answers in this thread, I know exactly what he is going to say..

You came pretty close. Thanks! :D