Misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsherida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was a complete jackass this past weekend and celebrated my brother's graduation in another state a little too hard and late. I was charged with public intoxication, which is a Class 4 misdemeanor (the least serious class). I am trying to determine what to do. I spoke with a lawyer and he believes we can do something to essentially get it dropped from my record. The issue is with travel and legal fees I will be out at least $1000. I can just pay the ticket for about $65 but the issue with that is I have the charge on my record (which right now is perfectly clean).
My question to people here is: would a charge like this on my record affect my career in the future. I plan on going into Pediatrics. It would suck to pay the money, but if it means I am saving myself from a headache in the future it would be worth it.
I am going to speak to someone at my med school for advice tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone had been in the situation or has some thoughts?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dsherida said:
So I was a complete jackass this past weekend and celebrated my brother's graduation in another state a little too hard and late. I was charged with public intoxication, which is a Class 4 misdemeanor (the least serious class). I am trying to determine what to do. I spoke with a lawyer and he believes we can do something to essentially get it dropped from my record. The issue is with travel and legal fees I will be out at least $1000. I can just pay the ticket for about $65 but the issue with that is I have the charge on my record (which right now is perfectly clean).
My question to people here is: would a charge like this on my record affect my career in the future. I plan on going into Pediatrics. It would suck to pay the money, but if it means I am saving myself from a headache in the future it would be worth it.
I am going to speak to someone at my med school for advice tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone had been in the situation or has some thoughts?
Thanks!

Let me tell you from personal experience, this is the wrong place to ask for advice. Not to be a jerk or anything..

Good luck getting it worked out though. I imagine a misdemeanor of that nature will have no effect on your liscense. Even the feds go out for a round of drinks after a hard days work, you just got unlucky and law enforcement got involve. I would most likely pay the ticket. It's essentially equivalent to a speeding ticket, I mean public intox.. come on..

You didn't hurt anyone, you weren't DUI.. regardless, talk with your deans, they know whats best.. good luck.

dsherida said:
Thanks!

No, it wouldn't affect anything. PI is on the same level as a parking ticket.

The reason why it's not a big deal is that it is legal to be drunk (as long as you aren't in public). The PI charge shouldn't even exist and is a way for cops to get their kicks.

It's not like you were high on cocaine or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
No, it wouldn't affect anything. PI is on the same level as a parking ticket.

The reason why it's not a big deal is that it is legal to be drunk (as long as you aren't in public). The PI charge shouldn't even exist and is a way for cops to get their kicks.

It's not like you were high on cocaine or anything.

Well actually, they found 2000 pounds of cocaine in my car as well...of course I am joking. Thanks for the advice, anyone know who exactly to call at my school? I don't start until August actually and I don't really want to start on a bad foot ("Hi I start in August and I need some legal advice...").

are we running a special on overuse of alcohol and drugs this week on sdn? :D

i'm actually surprised they even picked you up; what exactly were you doing in public? I really don't think it will be a problem. why don't you ask your medical advisor at your school now, rather than the dean at the med school you're going to?

I called the magistrate in the city I was charged in. I asked her if I could send in a letter and such so that I wouldn't have to travel there in order that the charge not be on my record. She kind of laughed at me and said this kind of charge doesn't go on your record. I asked about when I get my med liscense and she explained how it would never come up on a criminal background check, maybe if I applied for the FBI or army but I don't see that in my future. She told me if I ever do get asked, the charge technically is "public swearing or public intoxication". Just tell them I was find for public swearing, as I am sure I did a bit of that as well! Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions.
The thing that rubs me the wrong way is I spoke to a lawyer about it and he made a big to do about it saying he would drop his fee from $800 to $650 because he "knows its tough being a student". What a crooked bastard. I am glad I spoke with the court directly as opposed to going with him. Word to the wise: always beware!

While it sounds like your issue is resolved, I had a question/comment about 'who to ask' about these kinds of situations, as they've been coming up lately. Don't your schools have a student ombudsman you could go to? I would be wary of bringing criminal charges to the dean for advice about whether they're going to affect me or not, seeing as how the dean may not react too kindly, and will be writing a letter on your behalf one day to boot. But the ombudsman's job is to be on the student's side, and may be able to give advice, or at least research the issue while keeping you anonymous. Just an idea!