Misdemeanor...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RMC22

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I know this kind of stuff always gets brought up, but I can't help but stress. I got a misdemeanor (Class A) for reckless driving (speed related). Is this going to stop me? I know traffic violations "don't count," but it's reckless driving. That can sound pretty darn bad. Any words are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

u sound anal...and appologetic for being anal..which is making me feel a bit guilty for calling u anal

i doubt stupid little things like that matter

Originally posted by DieselPetrolGrl
u sound anal...and appologetic for being anal..which is making me feel a bit guilty for calling u anal

Hm.. So, what exactly are you trying to say? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I would talk to your pre-med advisor. If yours was classified as a criminal (albeit minor) offense, you might need to report it. I think this falls in the same category as getting caught with a fake ID--something you might have done when you were young and stupid but you've grown up and learned from your mistakes, etc.

I wouldn't say traffic violations "don't count." DWI is a traffic violation, but I'm pretty sure it's something you would have to report. I think the difference depends on whether it was a criminal or civil offense.

the problem is that wreckless driving isn't a "little" thing...at least not to the cops. But I don't think it will cause a problem if the op doesn't make a habit out of it.

No fast and furious crap, man!

Reckless driving is a crime, and not a violation. Although only felonies preclude you from being licensed (M.D.), I think you may need to enclose a letter explaining your situation along with your apps.

Jeez, how reckless were you? Most first-time reckless "drivings" get pleaded down to a stiff fine, or at least to PBJ

yeah but theyll slap you with wreckless driving for the lamest crap... for example, my cousin was in a car accident (just got his license) and it was because some guy cut him off and he panicked.... now the cop saw him swerve two lanes and he got pulled over for that. my sister was slapped for one where the car hit a slick spot on the road around a corner (and she doesnt drive fast at all) and got thrown off the road... wouldnt u know it, a wreckless driving ticket

so i doubt that medical school would not let you in because of something like that (cops can be a pain sometimes... the power trip they have --- though doctors can be just as arrogant)

Felonies don't prohibit someone from being an MD in every case. I know of a few local physicians either practicing now or just retired who have previous felonies. In some cases they were committed while in medicine, in others before. It all depends on the felony. I know of one physician who actually spent over a year on jail and came out and started practicing. Some of it depends on your state's medical lisc. board, but the most important factor would be the type of felony. Something like tax evasion wouldn't be that hard to overcome in most states. Drug trafficing would be more difficult, but you still might get a limited liscence(reduced rx priv), Then there is the famous case of the Indiana primary care physician who kidnapped and girl and spent several years in jail before pursuing medicine.

For all the bashing we do of lawyers in this forum, I must admit they do have much more stringent legal and ethical standards in that respect. You'll never see a lawyer with a felony who can practice. It's impossible.....

Originally posted by idq1i
Reckless driving is a crime, and not a violation. Although only felonies preclude you from being licensed (M.D.), I think you may need to enclose a letter explaining your situation along with your apps.

Jeez, how reckless were you? Most first-time reckless "drivings" get pleaded down to a stiff fine, or at least to PBJ

I was clocked at double the posted limit on a empty, rural road.
Double the limit = reckless driving.

fuc that, i dont think that is an offense worth mentioning to med schools or something they would even care about

Cops can be such dinguses. This is the kind of thing that isn't worth mentioning on your applications. The two things to keep in mind about this incident are-- (1) no med school will ever find out about this if you don't tell them, (2) no med school (or anyone else outside your car insurance company) will care about this if they do find out about it.

just wanted to say thanks again for the words.