Misdemor DUI: Can it affect med school admission or future licensing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmejia1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey lets just say a friend of mine got nailed with a DUI, can med school run a check on ones' record? Also, can this affect future licensing?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not if it's a misdemeanor. I think only felonies would show up on one's record or a background search. Be careful though, I think the second time in most states is a felony.

Lets just say your "friend" (read "you" ;) ) will have a criminal history and background check run on you at some schools. U of Washington is one that I know of that does this. In order to apply there, you must sign a waiver saying that they can access this info. Other schools may do the same. Depending on the school, this may or may not be a big thing. I would think that if you were honest about it, and didnt try to hide it from them, they would not mind too much.

A misdemeaner should not show up. Whatever you do don't go and mention it to any school. Drunk driving is as good a reason as any other to exclude someone. My advice - lock that piece of information up in the furthest recess of your mind and throw away the key. Good luck and drive safely now.