Miserable V-day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngnflyy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's turning out to be a miserable V-day. I was up all night studying for a physics exam, and out of fear for being late to the exam as I overslept and didn't make it to review, I was up a couple of hours early. I get to class only to realize that I'd forgotten my calculator. I live off campus, so going back to get it really wasn't an option. So I raced around each department trying to find someone, or anyone who had one I could use and came up with nothing! On top of that it's been snowing all morning....At this point I'm just waiting to see what else goes wrong...To round the day off, I've got an organic chem quiz in a few hours. Just lovely indeed! :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hope things get better!

To all the pre-med nerds on SDN who won't get any love:

jul_heart-WEB.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
its raining outside and i just had a huge fight with my ex.

miserable day indeed.

Thanx...Nothing like Youtube to brighten a day! lol

I'm sorry to hear that man youngnflyy... how did the physics exam go, anyway? Were you able to pull it off without a calculator? All you can do now is look forward to ways of rectifying this mistake by hammering the rest of the exams in that class. that will teach the universe not to mess with you anymore.

I was able to write out all of the equations, but I couldn't solve for any solutions. So, just hoping that maybe the professor has a little bit of mercy so that it won't be too bad. I agree though, I'll just have to work that much harder to pwn the rest of the exams!

yeah... partial credit for the win. good luck with everything, mate.

its raining outside and i just had a huge fight with my ex.

miserable day indeed.

It's snowing outside and I just got in a HUGE fight with my boyfriend....worst day in a long time.

Cannot decide where to take the GF. Everyone is telling me I cannot buy what I wanted to buy for her. I'm tired. I had a micro exam this morning that I wasn't prepared well enough for. The list goes on but Ill spare you...

Members don't see this ad :)
Go find those stuffed microbes and give the one you love your favorite bacteria (mono, the clap, syphillis...). (you can do a search for the website if you wish .. look up "giant stuffed microbes".) I think these things are hysterical! Personally I thought of giving my hubby mono this year. :)

:laugh:

This will be my first Valentine's Day without the ex-gf in 5 years. We broke up this summer. It's been a little more than 6 months but I still think about her every day. I probably can't/shouldn't call her, right? I think I might still want her back. Sigh.

I had to drop the dog off at the kennel this morning b/c I'm leaving for interviews tomorrow. My journey, in a nut shell:

1) I waited for the bus... for 45 minutes... in the snow. My fingers turned purple.
2) Once we got to the kennel, the dog was so upset at where I'd taken her that she gave me a horrified look and proceeded to pee all over the floor.
3) After being guilt-ridden by my own mutt, I had to stop for lunch at Burger King, as I was starving and it was the only food available. I hate fast food.
4) I availed myself of the bathroom, locked the door and attempted to do my business- when the door was kicked open by 2 loud and obnoxious townie girls. Everyone in the hallway could see me. I screamed and swore at them.
5) After finishing in the bathroom, I emerged to find them lurking around and leering at me. I gave them a dirty look at rolled my eyes at them. They then threated to "mess me up."
6) I ignored their threats and went outside to wait for the bus again... for 45 minutes... in the snow. My fingers turned purple.

I hate VD. :(

This will be my first Valentine's Day without the ex-gf in 5 years. We broke up this summer. It's been a little more than 6 months but I still think about her every day. I probably can't/shouldn't call her, right? I think I might still want her back. Sigh.

Depends... why did you break up and whose idea was it? She may feel the same way, you never know 'till you try. She might be glad to know you still think about her.

Calling an ex usually doens't work out well, but I say go for it, as long as you are cushioned for rejection, if it happens.
I got back together with my ex of 2.5yrs, we got engaged 1.5 yrs later and have been married for 3 yrs now...so good things can happen!

Good luck!

Bf and I worked out the fight.... but it still stings you know? Sadly, this thread is actually making me feel better about the worst day ever.

I slept in until 2 because I could. I guess that doesn't make you feel any better though.

Well you will have a better day. Just do your best. It sucks without a calculator, but did you ask around the test room to see if anyone had an extra calculator? Did you ask the professor? Good luck on orgo!

Calling an ex usually doens't work out well, but I say go for it, as long as you are cushioned for rejection, if it happens.
I got back together with my ex of 2.5yrs, we got engaged 1.5 yrs later and have been married for 3 yrs now...so good things can happen!

Good luck!

Wow, glad to hear it! Congrats for you two! You seem to give the rest of us some hope...

My fiance died on Valentine's Day two years ago. Count your blessings people.

I am very sorry to hear that, EagerToBeMD. How have you been doing?

Sorry to hear that versailles; hopefully it'll all work out in the end.

What's up with everyone having a crappy V-day? My boyfriend and I got into a fight last night and it's ruining the whole stupid day.

To all of you having a crappy Valentine's Day because of weather and otherwise...

- I look outside my window and see a beautiful, cloudless California sky after a few days of rain. :thumbup:

- I suffered a break-up just at the beginning of this application cycle, partly because the g/f didn't want to be committed to my life as a med student. It's understandable, because there's no reason for her to commit to me in that way, but at the same time completely breaking it off hurt. So I will be alone today. :thumbdown:

- Went to a great concert last night (Charlotte Martin) who I absolutely LOVE. She opened for Pete Yorn, but I was there to see her. :love:

- I don't want any Valentines in my mailbox today. The only love I want would be an interview invite. (It wouldn't be an acceptance because I've only had one interview and was waitlisted. So another invite would be considered a positive.)

It's snowing outside and I just got in a HUGE fight with my boyfriend....worst day in a long time......Bf and I worked out the fight.... but it still stings you know? Sadly, this thread is actually making me feel better about the worst day ever.

That hardly counts as a fight.. only like 1.5 Hours

You must be a good negotiator. U should add that too your application in an update letter

My classes were cancelled today so that's good. However I think I bombed a bio test (that I was hoping for an A on)this week so I already had a lousy week.

That hardly counts as a fight.. only like 1.5 Hours

You must be a good negotiator. U should add that too your application in an update letter

Hehe....I think I am. Plus I hate fighting with loved ones. It's not a great thing sometimes, I tend to drop everything so that I can resolve the fight. I'm sure my boss is curious why I've been running in and out this morning.

Don't call her... whatever you do/think/want to do, DO NOT call her. It'll just make you look pitiful. Be sad, cry, whine, throw yourself a pity party, eat a can of Crisco, but don't call her. If she doesn't feel the same way, it will only make you feel worse.

You have my condolences. I can only imagine how it feels to lose someone that close to you.

This thread really has made me feel better, just knowing that I'm not the only one who was having a crappy day.

Don't call her... whatever you do/think/want to do, DO NOT call her. It'll just make you look pitiful. Be sad, cry, whine, throw yourself a pity party, eat a can of Crisco, but don't call her. If she doesn't feel the same way, it will only make you feel worse.

Maybe if he called her and she didn't feel the same, he could get some closure. If she feels the same way, then that would be even better.

HailMary,

Oddly enough,I'm in exactly the same situation here. 5 years, broke up in the summer, yada yada yada. My solution: channel that into a solid day at the gym. Spring Break is a month away, which ya wanna be single for, and if you're not going on SB, work out to impress those med school gals you'll be seein soon. Cause ya know the only thing better than becoming a doc, making a difference, and making ~$200K is marrying a gal who can do the same.

Heres to finding a sugar mama in med school. Woo!

It's snowing outside and I just got in a HUGE fight with my boyfriend....worst day in a long time.

Yeah, I got into a fight with my boyfriend, too. He decided it was a good idea to take out a student loan to fix up his car. He hasn't worked in 8 months, not even over winter break! For some reason, he never learned the lesson about WORKING to EARN the things he wants. :rolleyes:

BTW-- his "car" is a 77 VW Bus, and the motor blew up while driving IN TOWN. Can't say I didn't see that one coming. He could fix the motor for ~ $1k, but he wants to get the more expensive crap to put on it/in it so that it's "cooler." :confused:

Now, I really don't care about getting a gift on Valentine's Day, although he's given me one every year for the past 4 years we've been dating, but he tells me this morning that he's going to spend the day working on his other car (a 59 VW Bug).:mad: So now, I'm spending Valentine's Day alone, working on an orgo practice test and cleaning my apartment.

I hate Valentine's Day!!

Thought I'd join the pitty party.

1. In a long distance relationship and haven't celebrated a Valentine's Day in 4 years. We say every year that it's silly anyway and agree not to give gifts since he's broke, but that doesn't make it any easier to sit at home alone and then listen tomorrow to all my friends' stories about how wonderful the presents and the flowers and the dates were. I do think it's kind of a silly holiday, yet every year when it gets here I turn into a total girl.

2. Missed a lab today in a class where lab attendance is a big part of the grade because they switched the location and time of the lab and only announced it once, in the one class that I've missed due to an interview. So I wandered around outside in the cold for half an hour looking for a class I've already missed. I emailed the prof and so far she hasn't been very sympathetic. This class has been absurdly unorganized and poorly planned from the beginning - should have dropped it while I had the chance.

3. Now that I'm officially sitting home alone crying (i know it's stupid, it's just been a really really long day), I go to do my spanish homework online and find that the website is down. So I can't even do anything productive with my miserable evening.

I know my issues pale in comparison to some of you guys', but I felt the need to get it out. Happy Valentine's everyone. :rolleyes:

Thought I'd join the pitty party.

1. In a long distance relationship and haven't celebrated a Valentine's Day in 4 years. We say every year that it's silly anyway and agree not to give gifts since he's broke, but that doesn't make it any easier to sit at home alone and then listen tomorrow to all my friends' stories about how wonderful the presents and the flowers and the dates were. I do think it's kind of a silly holiday, yet every year when it gets here I turn into a total girl.

2. Missed a lab today in a class where lab attendance is a big part of the grade because they switched the location and time of the lab and only announced it once, in the one class that I've missed due to an interview. So I wandered around outside in the cold for half an hour looking for a class I've already missed. I emailed the prof and so far she hasn't been very sympathetic. This class has been absurdly unorganized and poorly planned from the beginning - should have dropped it while I had the chance.

3. Now that I'm officially sitting home alone crying (i know it's stupid, it's just been a really really long day), I go to do my spanish homework online and find that the website is down. So I can't even do anything productive with my miserable evening.

I know my issues pale in comparison to some of you guys', but I felt the need to get it out. Happy Valentine's everyone. :rolleyes:

awww...Big hug goes out to you! :) Keep your head up!

Sorry for everyone having a crappy V-Day! For those of you wondering about calling exes...I cannot recommend it unless you've had a friendly relationship since the break-up. If you haven't talked since breaking up, I agree with whomever said you would look pitiful. Not to say don't ever do it. My $.02 is not to call today.

A different perspective for those not in a relationship: Happy Singles Day! :love:
(or Happy Singles Awareness Day if you're really bummed and don't want to feel better!)

I had to drop the dog off at the kennel this morning b/c I'm leaving for interviews tomorrow. My journey, in a nut shell:

1) I waited for the bus... for 45 minutes... in the snow. My fingers turned purple.
2) Once we got to the kennel, the dog was so upset at where I'd taken her that she gave me a horrified look and proceeded to pee all over the floor.
3) After being guilt-ridden by my own mutt, I had to stop for lunch at Burger King, as I was starving and it was the only food available. I hate fast food.
4) I availed myself of the bathroom, locked the door and attempted to do my business- when the door was kicked open by 2 loud and obnoxious townie girls. Everyone in the hallway could see me. I screamed and swore at them.
5) After finishing in the bathroom, I emerged to find them lurking around and leering at me. I gave them a dirty look at rolled my eyes at them. They then threated to "mess me up."
6) I ignored their threats and went outside to wait for the bus again... for 45 minutes... in the snow. My fingers turned purple.

I hate VD. :(

Just take some antibiotics and youll be fine.:D

My mom, who has motor neuron disease, fell and split her head open on a door hinge this morning. After calling the ambulance and getting her transported to the ER with my father, I've spent the last hour or so cleaning her blood out of the carpet. I'm really worried that she might have damaged something in her spinal cord, we're still waiitng on the ct.

Sorry to be a downer, just needed to vent.

Sorry about that Dsh...I hope that things go well for your mother! Stay positive!

i'm sorry for all of you. for what it's worth, my gf and i are hours apart. i sent her flowers and chocolates after getting into an argument about how vday sucks (to throw her off of the trail). i got nothing.

that and for 4 hours today, i had my hands deep in a cadaver's bowel. what makes it worse is that one of my ******* tankmates nicked the colon with the scalpel and my face happened to be right where the nick was. needless to say, my poop doesn't smell nearly as bad anymore hahaha.

Oh my gosh, that's awful. I'm so sorry. i totally understand and feel for you. I got engaged on Valentines Day in 2002 and then my fiance died a month later. Still 5 years later, I'm totally devastated and it effects everything i do and feel. :(

I shoveled my way out of the foot and a half of snow we got at 4 am, got to work at 6 am, but was lucky enough to have my valentine at home when I got there. I hope Feburary 15th is better for all of you.

Hang in there, folks. I don't have a Valentine (and feel for those that lost theirs...) and have had a string of exams back-to-back-to-back today, but it always gets better. :thumbup: