Missed abim heme exam registration deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

francois

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have done a 4th year in hematology after 3 years of hemonc fellowship. Im board certified in oncology as of last year which I took during my 4th year; thought I’d take heme the following year (this year). With COVID and move to a new location, I missed registering for the heme abim exam. This is quite embarassing. Would this be a big deal in regards to my new job? The job focusses on malignant heme only. Im already board certified in oncology. I’m wondering how I can inform my employers about this mistake.

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure about the process, may be call ABIM and try to see if they can make and exception to let you register?

If you cant, would talk to the employer, explain the situation and let them know you will take it next year. They may add a clause in the contract stating you will have to take it next year or they wont renew the contract etc.

Medical Oncology covers quite a bit of malignant heme as well, possibly they will let you practice without heme boards for a year.

all the best

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I have done a 4th year in hematology after 3 years of hemonc fellowship. Im board certified in oncology as of last year which I took during my 4th year; thought I’d take heme the following year (this year). With COVID and move to a new location, I missed registering for the heme abim exam. This is quite embarassing. Would this be a big deal in regards to my new job? The job focusses on malignant heme only. Im already board certified in oncology. I’m wondering how I can inform my employers about this mistake.

thank you
I guarantee you that your contract includes a clause about BC/BE and the timeline to do so. Go back and read it. Mine said 3 years after hiring.

Also, you're already BC to do that job, so the heme boards are just going to be gravy (and by gravy, I mean extra money for the ABIM). This is really a non-issue. Enjoy your new job.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's about 50/50 whether the malignant heme docs at my affiliated academic institution are even heme boarded, and the ones that aren't never intend to be. There's a reason they test malignant heme on both heme boards and onc boards, and that's because you can do the job with either qualification. Feel free to do the heme boards later though if you want to give the higher ups the power to pull you into doing inpatient benign heme consults! :)

Thank you all! You were all absolutely correct. I just received confirmation from the department that I do not need heme certification at all. Medical Oncology certification is more than enough to practice heme malignancies.