Missed all exams for medical reasons one semester--still a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

interrobangin8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edited

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Of course. It seems easily explainable ... I'm sure adcoms will understand. What does ABS stand for anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was a broken "tibula" the reason for your absence? (Just a guess.)

Your best bet is to be sure that your pre-med committee or your advisor knows the whole story and is able to describe it in a letter of recommendation/ committee letter. This gives the "excuse" some credibility. A legitimate medical reason for missing the exams is going to be ok, particularly if the rest of your application is stellar.

If you can't get a letter, and even if you can, you might try to work it into your personal statement or, even better, into secondary essays that ask for an adversity you've overcome or something along that theme. Don't write about it twice though .... You might also sneak it into the description of one of your experiences (say that there was a gap in an activity from (date) to (date) because of the injury or that you discontinued this activity after breaking your leg on (date).

Last edited:
Hi, this is my first post here.

During one semester, I missed all of my exams and also the make-up exams, so I received three "ABS" grades that semester. As a result, three 0.00 will be part of my GPA.

Besides that semester, however, I will most likely have straight A's, a great MCAT, etc.

Why didn't you just withdraw?