Missed Exam. Cant make it up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Favour517

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a medical condition that makes me very sick once in a while--this will be hopefully fixed ASAP. It usually happened on weekends in the past , so only work was affected. I didn't get into trouble because i missed work like 2 or 3 times a semester. I got sick the first time, and missed my quiz (5% of grade). She said she didn't allow make-ups (even though she allowed my friend make it up) and said i would be fine since i was doing well in class. So i went from a 99% to an 89%. Anyways I brought it up to 93%.

I was really sick on the day of the 4th exam, stomach pain, and i was throwing up. I took Ibuprofen which didn't work. I told my teacher like an hour before that i wouldn't be able to make it. she replied later that needed a doctor's note. However, I didn't go to the doctor because I was really sick, and couldn't even walk to the hospital. I didn't think i needed to since i knew what was wrong, so i just stayed home and let it pass. Now i don't know what to do. The exam is like 15% of my grade. This is my first time dealing with things like this. I dont think she understands that i have no plans on getting a C in this class, very easy one btw. I dont mean to sound degrading, but GPA is important and all. I have already had my fair share of B's. I am a little frustrated because it feels like i am being punished for things i have no control over.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't go to the doctor because I was really sick, and couldn't even walk to the hospital.
Uh... That sounds like an ambulance ride to me.

I'm sure you are being seen for this "chronic illness" - Have you doc write a note stating you likely had a flare up. But is there a class policy for no make up exams? (Usually that's actually assumed for any college class - unless plans are made ahead of time). If so - and you didn't get a doctor's note... sucks to be you.

I was an instructor for some classes - If a student just didn't show up or last minute claimed they were sick... they were MOST LIKELY (not always) using that as an excuse to get out of it. Hope their friend would tell them what is on the exam, more time to study, etc.

Why didn't you go to the doctor when it started to pass? Or call your doctor if you can't make it to the hospital/don't find it necessary to go to the hospital? She said you needed a doctor's note, you didn't think you needed to go...you did have control over some of these aspects.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Uh... That sounds like an ambulance ride to me.

I'm sure you are being seen for this "chronic illness" - Have you doc write a note stating you likely had a flare up. But is there a class policy for no make up exams? (Usually that's actually assumed for any college class - unless plans are made ahead of time). If so - and you didn't get a doctor's note... sucks to be you.

I was an instructor for some classes - If a student just didn't show up or last minute claimed they were sick... they were MOST LIKELY (not always) using that as an excuse to get out of it. Hope their friend would tell them what is on the exam, more time to study, etc.
i have no reason to do that because I am very good with the class. like i said, its really easy. its not even a science class. its a 100 level class. I have never seen a doctor for this. I have a nurse in my family, and she helped me out. I started to seriously consider getting treated this semester when it interfered with my classes. Mostly because i would need surgery, and i thought about that as a last resort thing. It is actually very common, but its just especially bad in my case- dont know why. The internet says it usually gets better when one gets older. I know it sounds fishy, but i am not lying.

what did you expect? You called an hour before the exam, and didn't even get the doctor's note when asked. No one can blame her for not taking your word

Reactions: 8 users
Ok you have RTA or some other chronic disease that causes you this stuff. I assume you talked to your teacher at the beginning of the semester about it and they said ok that's fine, just make sure you have a doctor's note when it happens. Right? So why wouldn't you go see someone when you were able to... even minute clinic?

Why didn't you go to the doctor when it started to pass? Or call your doctor if you can't make it to the hospital/don't find it necessary to go to the hospital? She said you needed a doctor's note, you didn't think you needed to go...you did have control over some of these aspects.
This is really complicated, because i havent actually told my doctor. I just got a doctor this summer, and just did a physical because someone told me that you had to have physicals like twice a year. I have been trying to set up an appointment all semester, but i got one with a nurse practitioner instead due to schedule conflicts, and i see her in December. I am from a different country, I didnt get a doctor earlier because you go to a hospital only when youre sick

Reactions: 1 user
I didnt think i needed to go WHEN i was sick, she told me this hours after.

i have no reason to do that because I am very good with the class. like i said, its really easy. its not even a science class. its a 100 level class. I have never seen a doctor for this. I have a nurse in my family, and she helped me out. I started to seriously consider getting treated this semester when it interfered with my classes. Mostly because i would need surgery, and i thought about that as a last resort thing. It is actually very common, but its just especially bad in my case- dont know why. The internet says it usually gets better when one gets older. I know it sounds fishy, but i am not lying.

She said you needed a doctors note. You had an out and you didn't take it, and so its your fault. She is not your mother and will not take excuses at face value from students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Put yourself in the teacher's shoes. Random student emails an hour before the exam: "I'm sick and can't take the exam; no I'm not going to the doctor. Please let me take it another time."

Uh.....

Reactions: 6 users
This is really complicated, because i havent actually told my doctor. I just got a doctor this summer, and just did a physical because someone told me that you had to have physicals like twice a year. I have been trying to set up an appointment all semester, but i got one with a nurse practitioner instead due to schedule conflicts, and i see her in December. I am from a different country, I didnt get a doctor earlier because you go to a hospital only when youre sick
I know it sounds harsh, but it doesn't matter what your excuse is. Bottom line is you don't have documentation and unless this teacher is very understanding and is willing to take your word (highly unlikely), you are stuck with the consequences

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My question is what are looking for us to tell you? I'm sorry you didn't know you needed a doctor's note, but its her word against yours now. The best option now is to go get a doctor, get diagnosed, go to student accessibility services with your diagnosis, explain why you missed the exam and why you didn't go to the doctor that day, and see what they can do for you. This has a high chance of not working because it has a lot of moving parts and might not change your professor's mind, but things like this happen.

If you do end up with a C, it won't kill you by any means. Yeah, it sucks a bit, but it's not going to be the end of your medical school dream. Just learn from it and move on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Put yourself in the teacher's shoes. Random student emails an hour before the exam: "I'm sick and can't take the exam; no I'm not going to the doctor. Please let me take it another time."

Uh.....
So she told me to get a doctor note many hours after i sent the email. She actually knows me, I come on time, answer questions, do well on exams, and i have never skipped her class before. There really is no logical reason for me to skip an exam unless i needed to.

So she told me to get a doctor note many hours after i sent the email. She actually knows me, I come on time, answer questions, do well on exams, and i have never skipped her class before. There really is no logical reason for me to skip an exam unless i needed to.

I felt sorry for you because you are obviously upset about the whole thing. We don't want to see any fellow premeds fail. But you're not taking any responsibility at all. We realize the sickness is out of your control but you can't expect your teachers to just take your word for it. If you couldn't get a note for whatever reason, get an appointment with someone ASAP and get them to say that you have chronic examinitis and that you have frequent flare ups or something.

Poor judgement expecting that a professor would let you miss an exam because you emailed (emailed!) an hour before the test claiming you were sick with no doctor's note or intention of seeking treatment.

I expect the course syllabus and/or university standards specifically require a doctor's note to miss an exam.

My question is what are looking for us to tell you? I'm sorry you didn't know you needed a doctor's note, but its her word against yours now. The best option now is to go get a doctor, get diagnosed, go to student accessibility services with your diagnosis, explain why you missed the exam and why you didn't go to the doctor that day, and see what they can do for you. This has a high chance of not working because it has a lot of moving parts and might not change your professor's mind, but things like this happen.

If you do end up with a C, it won't kill you by any means. Yeah, it sucks a bit, but it's not going to be the end of your medical school dream. Just learn from it and move on.
Like i didnt know what to do, and i needed an advice because i have never been in this position, and most teachers i have had allowed students to make up exams. But thanks. Ill try to see a doctor ASAP. I was just worried about going to a new doctor, i didnt think they would believe me plus im not very rich at the moment. Thanks for being nice.

Some classes will list you as incomplete and let you complete the course the next time it is offered.

Dont take the C. Although a C wont kill you, you deserve the B/A due to your performance in the tests you did take. Explaining the situation in each app or interview is going to be a pain, do your absolute best to fight for it.

Dont piss off the professor though, find ways to make your case.

This is very simple. Withdraw from the class or take the 'C'. There are no other options.

There are a lot of things not adding up about your story and frankly you come across as entitled, poorly organized and lacking in common sense.

In summary, you have a "medical condition" for which you have not seen a medical professional. It is so severe that you are incapable of seeing a medical professional. You expect that classes will revolve around your diagnosis of a medical condition and what it entails and are upset that a professor expects some sort of documentation.

Reactions: 10 users
Some classes will list you as incomplete and let you complete the course the next time it is offered.

Dont take the C. Although a C wont kill you, you deserve the B/A due to your performance in the tests you did take. Explaining the situation in each app or interview is going to be a pain, do your absolute best to fight for it.

Dont piss off the professor though, find ways to make your case.
thank you very much . Ill try to see a doctor tomorrow. My friend suggested talking to the dean, but i kinda thought that was taking it too far.

I'm pretty sure I know what you're describing, and if I'm right, I can certainly sympathize with your predicament and can understand why you didn't feel it necessary to go to the hospital. But this is why it is important to establish care with a doctor, get a note saying that you have this condition and severe flare-ups leave you incapacitated. Then when you do get a flare-up and it interferes with school/work, get in contact with your doctor again so you can provide a note.

In summary, you have a "medical condition" for which you have not seen a medical professional. It is so severe that you are incapable of seeing a medical professional. You expect that classes will revolve around your diagnosis of a medical condition and what it entails and are upset that a professor expects some sort of documentation.

And it only happens on the weekends... :whistle:

i havent actually told my doctor. I just got a doctor this summer, and just did a physical because someone told me that you had to have physicals like twice a year. So you are telling me... you bothered to go see a doctor for a physical (that's probably not even required by your school) - but you fail to mention your chronic illness that's SOOOOO severe that you actually can't move and get yourself to a doctor? I have been trying to set up an appointment all semester, but i got one with a nurse practitioner (NP can write medical notes too) instead due to schedule conflicts, and i see her in December. I am from a different country (I don't wanna get started on this....), I didnt get a doctor earlier because you go to a hospital only when youre sick So... you AREN"T sick?

most teachers i have had allowed students to make up exams. Was this in high school? Tsk tsk to those teachers... training bad habits. I need to snap shot this page and send it to my ex-students who all whined when I stated they cannot miss an exam unless it is for an excused absence.

i didnt think they [doctors] would believe me (Ok... so now I'm thinking you are making this up...) plus im not very rich at the moment. (If you are real poor, you can hop on medicaid - last I checked, they allowed my illegal students to be on it. Second, you SAW A DOCTOR FOR A PHYSICAL AND DIDN'T BRING UP YOUR CHRONIC ILLNES!??!? RED FLAG MUCH?)

it only happens on the weekends... :whistle:
^ Right? How convenient.

If you were my student, I would not let you retake the exam either. Maybe you were sick, or you needed more time to study. Let's assume you are doing well in the class, maybe you got hung over, or high, and didn't bother to come to class. Sorry, but I probably wouldn't believe you are sick from your post - and even if you were... I'd still not let you retake it because you just need evidence.
1. learn from this
2. see a doctor
3. Don't do it again.

I am a little frustrated because it feels like i am being punished for things i have no control over.
I'm sorry, but you had plenty of control over this situation. Even if you coincidentally had your flare-ups on weekends, you knew there was always a possibility that it could happen at any time. You should have informed your doctor of what's going on, and honestly I probably would have discussed it with your teachers at the start of the semester -- making it clear that you're not trying to weasel out of anything, but that you've got an issue that might crop up once in a while. Had you done your due diligence, you likely wouldn't be in this position. What you're being punished for is a failure to plan.

Look, we're NOT going to tell you what you want to hear. You screwed up on this, now learn from it.

Reactions: 2 users
So you have never been diagnosed by a doc. The only person who has "diagnosed" you is a family friend who happens to be a nurse?
I can understand why you can't get a doctors note but I can't understand why you think you aren't responsible for this entire mess. It sounds like you've had these issues for awhile and you didn't get a correct diagnosis and proper treatment. This is your fault so deal with it. Oh and go to the doctor.

Can we go back for a second and address the fact that a quiz worth 5% of your grade cannot drop your grade from 99% to 89%?

Right but at the end of the semester it would only be 5%--ace everything else and let it go

If the quiz was one of 3 grades, it would have had a larger impact than 10%.

Smellin' fish.

Listen, if you had gotten a doctor's note for that day, and she still didn't let you retake the exam, then I would be on your side.

You know you can call an ambulance if its that bad right?

Correct me if I'm wrong...you are diagnosed with this illness without actually ever seeing a doctor?

Correct me if I'm wrong...you are diagnosed with this illness without actually ever seeing a doctor?

I doubt that. I think OP has a chronic illness that OP didnt go see a doctor for around the time OP missed their exam. Probably has seen a doctor before.

I'm pretty sure I know what you're describing, and if I'm right, I can certainly sympathize with your predicament and can understand why you didn't feel it necessary to go to the hospital. But this is why it is important to establish care with a doctor, get a note saying that you have this condition and severe flare-ups leave you incapacitated. Then when you do get a flare-up and it interferes with school/work, get in contact with your doctor again so you can provide a note.

So what's the condition?

no, a lot of people don't/can't go to the doctor unless it's life threatening

Last edited:
no, a lot of people don't/can't go to the doctor unless it's life threatening - just how it is

Thats not the issue. The issue now is that OP has self diagnosed for a chronic illness, and expects to make up the exam even though OP has never seen a doctor for this illness, let alone seeing one for that day.

Thats not the issue. The issue now is that OP has self diagnosed for a chronic illness, and expects to make up the exam even though OP has never seen a doctor for this illness, let alone seeing one for that day.
yes, I've made that point above as well. I just don't think it's a troll as you suggested

Its something really common, kinda like being lactose intolerant. It just got really bad that day. I have pills, sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. But yh everyone's right i guess. I should have seen a doctor for this. I didnt think i needed to because there is lots of information about it on the internet, plus my aunt helped. I saw my doctor today, and was officially diagnosed. she left me with some options to consider. Im still somewhat stuck with the same fate though, but i will make sure to tell my teachers in advance.

Thanks to those that helped, God bless you guys. I cant reply to everyone because there is a lot of context missing that i dont really want to go into. I will make sure to explain this to my teachers months in advance. I'll talk more with my teacher after thanksgiving. Once again, thanks for all your help.

So what's the condition?

Obviously the OP is being vague on purpose and it's not my place to disclose anything when it really doesn't matter.

In general, I don't understand the constant witch hunt and trying to pick at little things to show OP is lying. A little empathy and cultural competency goes a long way.

Reactions: 9 users
Talk to your teachers but you'll have to have documentation to confirm it. So bring that along too. Maybe go the office of Student Support and have them help you notify the teachers and tell them what accommodations you might need.

She told you exactly what to do and you didn't do it. That's all.
You don't deserve additional accommodations as you didn't follow the crystal clear instructions.
And someone so sick that they cannot get up and go to the doctor would call an ambulance.
Is your weekend illness alcoholism? That could explain your poor decision making.

You don't deserve additional accommodations as you didn't follow the crystal clear instructions.
And someone so sick that they cannot get up and go to the doctor would call an ambulance.
Is your weekend illness alcoholism? That could explain your poor decision making.
Wait are ambulance rides free?

Wait are ambulance rides free?

Sometimes, the University Hospital of large public state unis and some private unis do in fact provide free ambulance rides to their students.

I think the op gets it now, thanks for your comment

Reactions: 2 users