Missed Exam. Cant make it up.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sometimes, the University Hospital of large public state unis and some private unis do in fact provide free ambulance rides to their students.

OP didn't even need to go to the hospital. If the condition is as benign as they claim, a trip to the student health center would have sufficed.

Members don't see this ad.

GOOD NEWS GUYS!!!. My teacher was more understanding and I took the exam today:).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the update... not that many of us really care.

They're probably covered by student insurance.
lolololololololololol

Yeah, ambulance rides are covered by student insurance, at the low, low cost of many days of headaches trying to get them to cover what they said they'd actually cover. And god forbid you have student insurance and secondary coverage through your parents or something...then neither will pay for months while they bicker about who should pay more and the hospital keeps sending you angry notices because they dgaf what stupidity your insurance companies are up to, they just want to be paid.

My student insurance once rejected my claim because I didn't pre-approve my emergency room treatment. Which would have been rather difficult to do, seeing as I was unconscious by the time my need for emergency treatment became apparent.

My point not being that OP necessarily has terrible insurance or whatnot, but simply that it's not as easy as just "I am sick, I will go see the doctor now." If it's something that usually recovers on its own, even if it's incredibly debilitating/uncomfortable while it's a problem, it's not illogical not to go see a doctor about it. Odds are they'll just make you marginally more comfortable while you wait for it to recover on its own and rule out anything more serious...and then bill you a large sum for your trouble.

Have you never felt sick enough that work/school would be a struggle, but going to the doctor would be pointless? Because that describes every single case of the flu I've ever seen, for starters, and a lot more besides (including chronic problems). Doctors certainly have their uses - I wouldn't want to be one if they didn't - but it helps nobody to go running to the doc every time you feel under the weather, especially if you're short on funds or time.

Not disagreeing, btw, that OP mishandled this instance. I'm just saying that it's ridiculous to nitpick and lecture OP as if it is totally, scornfully unbelievable that someone would not go see the doctor when they're sick. Everybody has a different threshold for that sort of thing, and just because you would have gone, or even that most people would have (which we can't say since OP is being intentionally vague, as is their right) doesn't mean that everyone would, or that it's unrealistic that they did not.

Reactions: 1 user
Not disagreeing, btw, that OP mishandled this instance. I'm just saying that it's ridiculous to nitpick and lecture OP as if it is totally, scornfully unbelievable that someone would not go see the doctor when they're sick. Everybody has a different threshold for that sort of thing, and just because you would have gone, or even that most people would have (which we can't say since OP is being intentionally vague, as is their right) doesn't mean that everyone would, or that it's unrealistic that they did not.

This is a good point, but ignores one key thing. If told explicitly that a doctor's note is needed for something, I don't think it's unrealistic to say most people would at least try to get it. Whether you could find someone to write an excuse for an earlier date depends on the condition - but to not even try seems to be what people are pointing out wasn't smart.

This is a good point, but ignores one key thing. If told explicitly that a doctor's note is needed for something, I don't think it's unrealistic to say most people would at least try to get it. Whether you could find someone to write an excuse for an earlier date depends on the condition - but to not even try seems to be what people are pointing out wasn't smart.
You're ignoring the first sentence that you quoted:
Not disagreeing, btw, that OP mishandled this instance.
I am in absolute agreement with your final point: it was not at all smart for OP to skip a doc's note when trying to be excused for a quiz, when a doc's note was the requirement. Honestly, the only reason I would go to the doctor in OP's shoes would be to get a note for the class...which is absolutely ****ty, because if I were feeling well enough to traipse over to a doctor, I would just take the exam. Fortunately most of my profs haven't required doctor's notes. But you work with what the syllabus says: OP clearly messed up by not going to the doctor.

That is not what I am objecting to in this thread. I'm objecting to the attitude of "you must be lying; why else would you not go to the doctor? If you were really sick, you would have gone to the doctor. If you were debilitated, you would/should have called an ambulance, the fact that you did not makes no sense to me so you must be lying."

You're ignoring the first sentence that you quoted:
Not disagreeing, btw, that OP mishandled this instance.
I am in absolute agreement with your final point: it was not at all smart for OP to skip a doc's note when trying to be excused for a quiz, when a doc's note was the requirement. Honestly, the only reason I would go to the doctor in OP's shoes would be to get a note for the class...which is absolutely ****ty, because if I were feeling well enough to traipse over to a doctor, I would just take the exam. Fortunately most of my profs haven't required doctor's notes. But you work with what the syllabus says: OP clearly messed up by not going to the doctor.

That is not what I am objecting to in this thread. I'm objecting to the attitude of "you must be lying; why else would you not go to the doctor? If you were really sick, you would have gone to the doctor. If you were debilitated, you would/should have called an ambulance, the fact that you did not makes no sense to me so you must be lying."

Ah, okay. I interpreted most of the posts as harping on not going to get documentation when asked, not saying you have to go to the doctor every time you're sick. But I was quickly skimming. Glad it worked out for OP. There's definitely a lesson in this whole thing.