Missing medical school orientation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasFight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it? What if we are fairly certain that the summer before matriculation, we will be in a different country until August 13th or 14th? Is orientation required? What about missing the first day of class?

Members don't see this ad.

How important is it? What if we are fairly certain that the summer before matriculation, we will be in a different country until August 13th or 14th? Is orientation required? What about missing the first day of class?

The best people to talk to about this situation would be your school.

I believe, not 100% sure though, that if you don't show up to orientation, they assume you made other plans. I know someone who was called the DAY OF white coat ceremony and told to drive down if they wanted a spot in that years class. Well you can imagine in that case that someone probably didn't show up. If you're not there (unless major accident or something), they'd probably assume that you don't care enough and they'll just move on from you.

I think this would be a bad idea. It's not like it's important or anything, right? Just training for what you'll be doing for your future career? No big deal, you don't need to take it seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check with the school.

At our orientation, there were two people missing, one had a death in the family I think, the other was just an idiot who almost got kicked out of school for missing it.

I think this would be a bad idea. It's not like it's important or anything, right? Just training for what you'll be doing for your future career? No big deal, you don't need to take it seriously.

I agree that missing orientation is a bad idea, but lets not get carried away here. It's hardly "training" for medicine. Administrative paperwork, touring the facilities and playing ice-breaker games is not exactly an urgent matter. OP, definitely call to see what you'll be missing and whether or not it's even allowed. A real downside is that you won't have that extra time to socialize and get to know your classmates before classes begin.

Thanks for the responses guys. In case you were curious, I wouldn't be missing it "just because", I was planning to participate in a charity bicycle ride called the Texas 4000, riding 4500 miles from Austin, TX to Anchorage, AK. I would be in Alaska on the 14th I believe, and I would fly back soon after.

To add to the question, I haven't even applied yet. Should I mention something like this in the interviews, or would it make a school hesitant to accept me if they knew I would be missing orientation/possibly a few days of class?

I think if you give them plenty of notice they will let you miss.

Some schools have orientations that start later than that so I wouldn't mention it during interviews.

I think once you get all your acceptances you should ask the schools what their policy is and then make your decision based off of that and withdraw from the schools that wont let you miss it.

I agree that missing orientation is a bad idea, but lets not get carried away here. It's hardly "training" for medicine. Administrative paperwork, touring the facilities and playing ice-breaker games is not exactly an urgent matter. OP, definitely call to see what you'll be missing and whether or not it's even allowed. A real downside is that you won't have that extra time to socialize and get to know your classmates before classes begin.

The first day of class seems like a big deal to me. Also, our first day of orientation had patients. I'm sure the school would have been less than pleased if someone wasn't there.

I wouldn't mention that you might miss orientation at your interviews.

You might be able to pre-arrange this with your school. The end fact is that if they say no, you'll have to choose. I know missing orientation would not go over well with my school.

The other thing to keep in mind is that mid-August is not orientation for some schools, it's a good chunk of the way into first semester. Many schools start in late July or early August. Depending on how long you're going to be gone, schools may or may not be okay with you missing things. The final story is that it is going to depend on the school you ultimately end up matriculating at.

I wouldn't mention that you might miss orientation at your interviews.

You might be able to pre-arrange this with your school. The end fact is that if they say no, you'll have to choose. I know missing orientation would not go over well with my school.

The other thing to keep in mind is that mid-August is not orientation for some schools, it's a good chunk of the way into first semester. Many schools start in late July or early August.
Depending on how long you're going to be gone, schools may or may not be okay with you missing things. The final story is that it is going to depend on the school you ultimately end up matriculating at.

huh? orientation is after classes start? is that common?

Thanks for the responses guys. In case you were curious, I wouldn't be missing it "just because", I was planning to participate in a charity bicycle ride called the Texas 4000, riding 4500 miles from Austin, TX to Anchorage, AK. I would be in Alaska on the 14th I believe, and I would fly back soon after.

To add to the question, I haven't even applied yet. Should I mention something like this in the interviews, or would it make a school hesitant to accept me if they knew I would be missing orientation/possibly a few days of class?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
For what it's worth, orientation at UAMS is utterly worthless. There are a couple forms they want you to sign, but the only thing you actually need to be there for is registration. That said, orientation is when all the huge school-sponsored parties happen and is a great time to meet your classmates and possibly some older students. It's a ton of fun.

Showing up to orientation has nothing to do with professionalism or concern for your future profession or whatever garbage they'll try to shove down your throat, so don't buy into that nonsense. Call the school, and ask what their attendance policies are. After that, get in touch with a current student, and ask what the attendance policies are. :p (That is, they may tell you it's mandatory when they don't actually check for attendance in any way.)

Haha oops

For some reason I was still thinking Canada since we were biking through it

Don't feel bad, in small group last month a girl said that someone would be at risk for parasitic infection because they had been on vacation in a tropical foreign country (they were in Hawaii)

If you weren't at orientation, you weren't matriculating and your spot was fair game for someone on the waitlist. Everyone was there, as far as I know.

Orientation at my school was the most important worthless week around. Class photos, paperwork, paperwork, more paperwork, got our laptops assign to us, sized up for white coats, all sorts of information on resources that we probably wouldn't be told about again and we did have a lecture type thing on the last day where we went down to the anatomy lab and went through some stuff with our "first patient".

Our orientation wasn't incredibly important aside from them setting you up with electronic privileges that were really important, plus giving you your ID badge.

Aside from that, it's when you initially meet your classmates.

I don't want to derail the thread or anything, but how long are medical school orientations? My orientation for pharmacy school is a week long, about 6-8 hours a day with a dinner provided each night. I am sorta looking forward to it but sorta not. I guess I am just apprehensive and don't know what to expect.

I don't want to derail the thread or anything, but how long are medical school orientations? My orientation for pharmacy school is a week long, about 6-8 hours a day with a dinner provided each night. I am sorta looking forward to it but sorta not. I guess I am just apprehensive and don't know what to expect.

You're apprehensive about orientation? What do you think is going to happen? Orientation varies from a couple of days at some schools to a full week at others. It's pretty laid back, because the pain of actual school is right around the corner.

Being apprehensive is totally normal. Your life is about to change in a big way, after all! My orientation was 3-4 days from 8-5 with lots of paperwork, some intro to the curriculum and how things work, etc. Like others have said, it's a good chance to start figuring out who your classmates are.:D

You're apprehensive about orientation? What do you think is going to happen? Orientation varies from a couple of days at some schools to a full week at others. It's pretty laid back, because the pain of actual school is right around the corner.

Well, I will be in a new town and around people I have never met before...so yeah, I guess you could say I am a little nervous.

I agree that missing orientation is a bad idea, but lets not get carried away here. It's hardly "training" for medicine. Administrative paperwork, touring the facilities and playing ice-breaker games is not exactly an urgent matter.
Oh, say it isn't so :cry:

Don't mention it. You'd be getting way far ahead of yourself to bring this up at an interview. Get in and then try to see if your school will be flexible about it or not.

Mine was a week, the time per day was variable. The orientation itself is pretty boring, the best part is going out after the day's events ended.

I don't remember playing any. But it's possible I've repressed the memories.

Our entire first day was "team-building" games. I wish I could block it from my memory.

My orientation was a week long. There were meetings and stuff from around 8 till around 5 with optional social events in the evenings.

Judging by this thread, our orientation was one of the few things that my school is above average in. It consisted of:

1) A drunken tubing trip

2) Several dozen speeches congratulating us for being us

3) A very short white coat ceremony where we all clapped for ourselves followed by an extremely nice meal at a good hotel.

4) A long line where someone in the Anatomy department handed out keys to the Anatomy labs and lockers.

5) Class photos where everyone was bright red from the tubing trip

6) Various interspered socials, trips to the French Quarter, and some painfully embarassing speeches and skits by the previous class.

You could definitely miss if you let them know in advance, though I don't think you'd want to. A lot of people did miss at least some of it just because they were moving in, or because they were cross enrolled with the school of public health that hadn't finished classes yet, or just because their parents were in town and needed to gush over them full time. It was a few days in before anything mandatory happened.

That being said, mid Augest was about 2 weeks into classes for us. You probably don't want to commit to something that late.

Orientation at my school was the biggest waste of 2 days I've ever experienced. If I could go back, I'd definitely try to find a way out of it.

Judging by this thread, our orientation was one of the few things that my school is above average in. It consisted of:

1) A drunken tubing trip

2) Several dozen speeches congratulating us for being us

3) A very short white coat ceremony where we all clapped for ourselves followed by an extremely nice meal at a good hotel.

4) A long line where someone in the Anatomy department handed out keys to the Anatomy labs and lockers.

5) Class photos where everyone was bright red from the tubing trip

6) Various interspered socials, trips to the French Quarter, and some painfully embarassing speeches and skits by the previous class.

You could definitely miss if you let them know in advance, though I don't think you'd want to. A lot of people did miss at least some of it just because they were moving in, or because they were cross enrolled with the school of public health that hadn't finished classes yet, or just because their parents were in town and needed to gush over them full time. It was a few days in before anything mandatory happened.

That being said, mid Augest was about 2 weeks into classes for us. You probably don't want to commit to something that late.
We had orientation to get all of the trivial stuff out of the way, then we had retreat where we got drunk all weekend and had fun.

I'd say orientation is +/- on missing, but retreat was a must. You make a lot of new friends at that sort of thing.

Orientation at my school was the biggest waste of 2 days I've ever experienced. If I could go back, I'd definitely try to find a way out of it.

I felt it was a waste of time too. However, I do think it was a waste of time they wouldn't have let me miss. There was a lot of annoying stuff I think would be logistically difficult to arrange for one student, (Med school ID photographer, entrance counseling for financial aide and student health care) and legal stuff (The HIPPA talk and the disease precautions talk).

I felt it was a waste of time too. However, I do think it was a waste of time they wouldn't have let me miss. There was a lot of annoying stuff I think would be logistically difficult to arrange for one student, (Med school ID photographer, entrance counseling for financial aide and student health care) and legal stuff (The HIPPA talk and the disease precautions talk).

Yea i've heard some of it is definitely important information. For the rest of it - sit in the back - relax.

easiest week of med school. haha

We had orientation to get all of the trivial stuff out of the way, then we had retreat where we got drunk all weekend and had fun.

I'd say orientation is +/- on missing, but retreat was a must. You make a lot of new friends at that sort of thing.

Agree with this. First orientation is usually mandatory. Meaning nobody is going to let you skip it to ride your bike. Sorry but you have to have new priorities now. School trumps ECs. Second they do a ton of administrative stuff which would be a pain to try and take care of once school actually starts. Third, med school is a place full of cliques, and they start in orientation. If you don't show up, you may find yourself boxed out of anatomy groups and the like. Longterm friendships start during the drunken antics of orientation week, and believe me, you need a solid cadre of friends when med school gets going. Finally, there's actually some useful stuff you need to know that you might have a harder time finding out if you skipped orientation. A lot of it is boring and useless, but there's enough there that it merits attendance. And again, it's mandatory. You try to explain that you want to ride your bike across a number of states and they will say, if that's your priority, yo may as well just keep riding because if you don't show we are going to give someone else your spot. Something like this may sound cool as an EC when you are applying but it sounds *****ic if you are using it as your reason that you are going to miss orientation and some of med school. Sorry.

Agree with this. First orientation is usually mandatory. Meaning nobody is going to let you skip it to ride your bike. Sorry but you have to have new priorities now. School trumps ECs. Second they do a ton of administrative stuff which would be a pain to try and take care of once school actually starts. Third, med school is a place full of cliques, and they start in orientation. If you don't show up, you may find yourself boxed out of anatomy groups and the like. Longterm friendships start during the drunken antics of orientation week, and believe me, you need a solid cadre of friends when med school gets going. Finally, there's actually some useful stuff you need to know that you might have a harder time finding out if you skipped orientation. A lot of it is boring and useless, but there's enough there that it merits attendance. And again, it's mandatory. You try to explain that you want to ride your bike across a number of states and they will say, if that's your priority, yo may as well just keep riding because if you don't show we are going to give someone else your spot. Something like this may sound cool as an EC when you are applying but it sounds *****ic if you are using it as your reason that you are going to miss orientation and some of med school. Sorry.

I feel like you were somehow offended by my question.

but thanks for your input?

Although orientation can be useless, even with the administration's blessing you will establish yourself with them as "that guy" for the rest of your four years.

You don't want to be "that guy." For many medical students there are times of trouble when getting the administration's support is crucial.

At most institutions, most if not all of the orientation activities are mandatory. I suppose that missing class would depend on the specific institution's policy but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to miss it regardless.

Missing class was the best thing I ever started doing. My grades improved fairly dramatically, and I had tons more free time.

As for missing orientation, I'll echo what others said about making friends and stuff. It's party time, and you'll be sad you missed it. You don't necessarily have to go to all the administrative stuff, but go to all of the parties if you can.

One of the med schools I am accepted at clearly states that orientation is mandatory, no exceptions.

Be careful with this sort of thing.

If you weren't at orientation, you weren't matriculating and your spot was fair game for someone on the waitlist. Everyone was there, as far as I know.

This was the case at my school too. You were informed of this fact when your acceptance letter was sent. There were a couple of people who got in because someone didn't show up.

To the OP: Check with your school and see what the policy is. Screwing yourself before you take your first set of exams is bad form.

I'd not worry to much about the conflict until you actually know you have a conflict. Who knows, you might get into a school that starts August 15th...or, conversely, you might get into a school that starts in July.

Many schools make orientation mandatory (e.g at my school orientation was when you got BLS certified, endured HIPPA training, and did a lot of the other legal/logistical things required to study and work as a med student).

I would also STRONGLY advise against missing the first few days of class....it's important both academically and socially. What makes med school tough is the pace, so missing a day or two of med school is not the same thing as missing a day or two of college. E.g. at my school, if you miss the first 3 days of first year that means you've missed the entire cell biology course...and while some of that is review, the material covered starting on day 4 is new and there's not much time to make up about 18 hours of lecture.

But again, it sounds like this is all worrying about a problem that doesn't actually exist yet...but as others have said, while it might be worth seeing what flexibility there is in terms of scheduling, you also need to ask yourself whether your priority is medical school or a bike ride (no matter how philanthropic or exciting it may be).

Last edited: