This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kavity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was recently looking to participate in a mission trip, as I see that this is a wonderful way to provide complementary care for communities who may not otherwise have access to care. In my search I found one in-state mission, and one overseas mission. Unfortunately, both are scheduled to occur in the same week, and I wanted to hear SDNers' take on which is better to participate in if I must only choose one.
Quick background info:
- The in-state mission is one day... Overseas mission is 1 week.
- Cost to attend in-state mission: Free... Cost to attend overseas mission: $1000
- In-state mission is located right next to my top residency program (something to consider, possibly?)

Side note, I understand that I would be gaining more experience on the overseas trip, but I was mostly wondering if these mission trips are in any way discouraged by residency programs, as I have read countless forums discussing the positives and negatives of overseas dental missions, and I am ultimately unsure if this could harm my application for a specialty program. If anyone has any experience, I would be happy to hear your insight. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
People who have done mission trips are a dime a dozen. I honestly don't think having done a mission trip affects your chances at a residency.

People who have done mission trips are a dime a dozen. I honestly don't think having done a mission trip affects your chances at a residency.
So do you think it would be better to save myself the $1000 and participate in the in-state mission instead?
Also, not sure if it matters, but the in-state mission is located near my top school for res programs. Should I consider that as a factor as well, or doesn't really matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
So do you think it would be better to save myself the $1000 and participate in the in-state mission instead?
Also, not sure if it matters, but the in-state mission is located near my top school for res programs. Should I consider that as a factor as well, or doesn't really matter?

If your sole motivation for these mission trips is to pad your resume, then I don't think it matters.

The week-long overseas trip may be personally and spiritually enriching. Is that worth $1000?

Reactions: 1 user
If your sole motivation for these mission trips is to pad your resume, then I don't think it matters.

The week-long overseas trip may be personally and spiritually enriching. Is that worth $1000?
Not what I meant. Both missions seem wonderful, which is why I feel so torn.
I was just wondering if doing a mission to help the local community in an area that I would ideally be living in the future could help me in terms of making that dream a reality. I think both missions would be personally and spiritually enriching, but if one tips the scale with additional positives, I can decide which to attend more easily. I don't think I can go wrong with either, really.

Most schools will look more fondly on the domestic trip. Although it’s pretty minor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Most schools will look more fondly on the domestic trip. Although it’s pretty minor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Is this solely in terms of providing care domestically? I have heard that missions abroad give more experience, as students do really get to do much on domestic missions.