Mississippi College Masters One Year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, anyone found a potential apartment yet?

Members don't see this ad.

How Strict are they about the MCAT cause that's what's really killing me with some other programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I know, this would seem like a good program to raise your BCMP, maybe you could contact Dr. Baldwin and get more information from him, as I had some similar questions and he was great about answering them.....As far as stats goes, my MCAT is what is really beating me up right now but my GPA is pretty decent....you may want to talk to Dr. Baldwin about that as well....HTH

I am confused about this post..isn't this a Masters program, and thus it would be masters GPA, not BCPM?

I am confused about this post..isn't this a Masters program, and thus it would be masters GPA, not BCPM?

Sorry.....IDK why I put BCMP GPA I was in la la land obviously....you are right.

I didn't know there was a facebook page! What's the page name?

Sorry for the delay... "New Medical Science Graduate Students Coming to Mississippi College '10-'11"

been trying to find an apartment and woodchase looks the best but there is a waiting list. anyone on that waiting list neeeding a roomate?

My MCAT is pretty low and I was accepted....have you already applied?

Congrats on your acceptance by the way, but how low because mine is crazy low. I've done the online portion but I haven't sent the app fee or transcripts.

im so nervous about getting accepted my cgpa is 3.0. sgpa is 2.87. i havent taken the mcat yet. i am taking the gre on june 8th. which is not as easy as i thought it would be. but what do think my chances are since my stats are so low? and are the seats filling up fast??

how much does it cost to go to MS? I was accepted too! :D Congrats to all!

$550 per credit hour... by the way, you can only get the standard sub/unsub graduate loan ($20,500 per year). They will not allow medical master's students to take out the grad plus loan.

Congrats! Wishing you the best of luck in the program. I was just wodnering what your stats are? I am getting ready to apply for next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
$550 per credit hour... by the way, you can only get the standard sub/unsub graduate loan ($20,500 per year). They will not allow medical master's students to take out the grad plus loan.

I saw a diff. figure on the site. Where did you get 550/hr from? I hope its my figure..

My app should be complete in two days. Fingers crossed.

I saw a diff. figure on the site. Where did you get 550/hr from? I hope its my figure..

My app should be complete in two days. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, I saw a different figure originally as well. I received a letter last week about their payment plan that outlined the credit hour breakdown for undergrad, grad, law (I think), Medical sciences, other grad programs.

They really need to update that site b/c $550 puts your tuition at $17600... Not to mention books and fees. Sooo if you plan to use federal loans to cover everything including living expenses, plan to be there for about 18-24 months... Not 12 as the site projects. Which is disappointing.

Yeah, I saw a different figure originally as well. I received a letter last week about their payment plan that outlined the credit hour breakdown for undergrad, grad, law (I think), Medical sciences, other grad programs.

They really need to update that site b/c $550 puts your tuition at $17600... Not to mention books and fees. Sooo if you plan to use federal loans to cover everything including living expenses, plan to be there for about 18-24 months... Not 12 as the site projects. Which is disappointing.

Oh, good to know.

It looks like I'm applying somewhat late. App should be complete on Monday. Stats are 3.3cgpa/3.15sgpa, 29 MCAT. Should I be worried if I'm trying to go in Fall? Does anyone know if they're close to capacity?

Is anyone applying for the Spring semester?

Hi all,

I was just accepted for the '10-'11.....Are there any former students of this program that have heard any success or failure stories through the program?

I read what DustB said, and it's really great for the coursework, but how good does it look for the medical schools? Is it really going to be helpful for increasing my chances of getting admitted? I am asking because of the fact that MC is such a small school, and has such low credentials. Is it really worth spending the 13K for a masters degree??

Please someone help! I'm still awaiting decisions from other schools...but more than likely I won't get it anywhere else, so should I accept this? Or try to take post bacc classes at the university I just graduated from (big 10)?

Any recommendations? Much appreciated...

hopefully i get an acceptance! I want to go here sssooo bad it's not even funny. I think my app is complete but the woman/student said they would call me back about 4 days ago...
:confused:

Is anyone applying for the Spring semester?
I am. I hesitated, wondering if I should apply later after I've taken a MCAT but read a thread here that said "DO IT NOW."

OT, has anyone ever gotten into this program on GRE scores alone? I was research bound until recently.

r they still accepting applications for fall'10?

I just applied to this program last week. How long to they take in replying back? I noticed that they require a 850 GRE. Has anyone gotten in with a score as low as that?

I just applied to this program last week. How long to they take in replying back? I noticed that they require a 850 GRE. Has anyone gotten in with a score as low as that?

Hey, I just heard back today that I got in, which is about 2 weeks after I sent in all my materials...not sure about the GRE though, I used my MCAT. Just wondering where/when people are planning on applying for med school or dental school or whatever...anyone else trying for UT in Memphis? Also, does anyone know of an acceptance rate or success rate for graduates of this program?

Last edited:
I'm planning on applying to UT Memphis med school

I plan on applying to UT's dental school. I already sent my application in for 2011 hopefully they will consider my application after the fall grades come out.

Are you from Memphis or TN?

... regarding my admissions decision. I got my MCAT scores back on May 22nd and submitted them the next day (6 PS, 9 VR, S writing sample, & 10 BS). Are they typically slow with making admissions decisions?

... regarding my admissions decision. I got my MCAT scores back on May 22nd and submitted them the next day (6 PS, 9 VR, S writing sample, & 10 BS). Are they typically slow with making admissions decisions?

Definitely contact the graduate admissions office and Dr. Baldwin...they are very helpful...as far as an admissions decision, I never got a letter in the mail, but I got an email about 2 weeks after everything was sent in (I called a few times to make sure they were still considering me). Try to find out asap because many classes are filling up!

Hey, I was just wondering...what is the typical rate of acceptances to med school upon completion of this program? Also, do I stand a shot at getting in with a GPA of 3.00 flat? I will be taking the GRE, so I know I'll have to make up for the GPA there..

Does anyone plan on working while they're in this program?

been trying to find an apartment and woodchase looks the best but there is a waiting list. anyone on that waiting list neeeding a roomate?

Hi did u find a roommate yet? Im currently looking for one at the Reserve.

I just got my acceptance for the spring. I didn't think they would be that quick about it. If you're applying for the spring I suggest you do your fafsa now. I got my loan award letter two days after I got my acceptance. And join the facebook group Dr.Baldwin is very helpful.

Last edited:
So I sent in my app about a week ago and I just receieved my acceptance letter. I know it's kind of late but is anyone still looking for an apt. and need a roomate?

for anyone who has been through the program, which books would you recommend? I noticed a few on the MC website, but do we need all of them? I'm taking Histo, Neuroanatomy, and Med Micro

I've been accepted to MC's Medical Science program for this Spring 2011. Filled out all the financial aid stuff, loans, etc. and now looking for a roommate on campus or apt/roommate. Anyone in this same position?

for anyone who has been through the program, which books would you recommend? I noticed a few on the MC website, but do we need all of them? I'm taking Histo, Neuroanatomy, and Med Micro
Generally for all of the five hours, you will need all books that are assigned. Specifically for Neuro, most of the anatomy books won't be needed until you have to learn the skull. Both Haines textbook and atlas are a must. For Histo, I used mainly their notes and the internet for pictures of slides but some students found both textbooks to be very helpful. I didn't take Med Micro so I can't give you any advice there. Hope this helps..

I know it's way ahead but I just got accepted, for Fall 2011 I believe, (my brother read the letter to me and I have to wait for him to mail me the letter) and I'm trying to meet other people to get an idea who might be a suitable roommate, preferably another male. Only other thing I'm looking for in a roomie is someone that's pretty CLEAN.

I know it's way ahead but I just got accepted, for Fall 2011 I believe, (my brother read the letter to me and I have to wait for him to mail me the letter) and I'm trying to meet other people to get an idea who might be a suitable roommate, preferably another male. Only other thing I'm looking for in a roomie is someone that's pretty CLEAN.

Hey, congrats on the acceptance! Just found out I got accepted the other day as well. I'm still waiting to hear from tulane CMB though because my decision will probably end up being between Tulane (if they accept me) and Mississippi.

I'm still waiting for the papers (was told they were sent yesterday) but if I do end up going to Mississippi i'll be looking for a place to stay as well. I wonder what the area is like in terms of groceries and other stuff... oh man. Going to need to visit the place if i'll be living there for 8+ months.

Cool, I was watching this thread waiting for people who got in. I got in fall 2011 also. Already sent in the deposit and looked around. I might be looking in jackson for a place though since it seems like the same money in clinton gets a 3x better place 10 miles away. Where are you guys from?

Last edited:
Cool, I was watching this thread waiting for people who got in. I got in fall 2011 also. Already sent in the deposit and looked around. I might be looking in jackson for a place though since it seems like the same money in clinton gets a 3x better place 10 miles away. Where are you guys from?

Congrats! I'm from Ontario, Canada. How about you?

I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm going to have to look into jackson as well then. I'll probably find out from other schools by May, but I'm definitely happy with this program. Cost of living is a huge thing for me and down south is a lot more affordable that the other places that i have pending apps at.

Congrats! I'm from Ontario, Canada. How about you?

I'm from Los Angeles California. I'm currently trying to figure out what to do about keeping residency in Mississippi so I can apply to University of Mississippi med school but that means having to stay there 2 years from what I understand. Are you guys going to apply to med school while in the program or after you're done?

I was planning on applying to the med school right before starting the MC program. It looks like a lot of the MC students that graduated ended up getting accepted to the UMiss med school. I'm just assuming that they didn't have a gap year, mostly because if you look at the 2010 graduates, it says that they've been accepted to UMiss med. I guess that could still mean they have a gap year, huh?
Either way, there are post baccs/SMPs like the one at Georgetown where people talk about how they didn't have a gap year and they started at a med school other than Georgetown the following year. That means that they interview before the program was over, my guess is sometime around winter break after their first sem grades were released and they were able to get recs. Even if I do have a gap year, it's a lot easier finding a decent job with a MS compared to a BS...

This program was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. The material wasn't hard to understand, but the amount of information was overwhelming. Also, the tests are extremely hard. However, if you want to get in medical/dental school, this program can get you there. Study hard, study efficiently, and good luck!

This program was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. The material wasn't hard to understand, but the amount of information was overwhelming. Also, the tests are extremely hard. However, if you want to get in medical/dental school, this program can get you there. Study hard, study efficiently, and good luck!

ditto.

this program will definitely set you up for success in medical school, but not without the headache that is taking two 5-hour classes in one semester. be prepared to cry yourself to sleep every night, praying you will wake up and it is all a dream. :scared:

BUT also be prepared (if you are successful in the classes) for med/dent interviews because this school tends to have a glowing reputation. :thumbup:

Might be hard to live in Jackson. I know some people that commute and it's pretty tough to be there for an 0800 class from Jackson. Also, Clinton isn't SO BAD..

In fact, my roommate and I are moving out of our apartment, looking to sublet for June and July. We live in the nicest (albeit most expensive) apartments in clinton. We have a 2br/2ba at The Reserve.

If anyone is interested, PM me. :cool:

Might be hard to live in Jackson. I know some people that commute and it's pretty tough to be there for an 0800 class from Jackson. Also, Clinton isn't SO BAD..

In fact, my roommate and I are moving out of our apartment, looking to sublet for June and July. We live in the nicest (albeit most expensive) apartments in clinton. We have a 2br/2ba at The Reserve.

If anyone is interested, PM me. :cool:

What did you think of the reserve? I saw a bunch of reviews saying that the management was terrible and the apartment was awful and others saying it was very nice.