Mississippi College Masters One Year??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got accepted yesterday! Glad to hear there is strong interest in this program. I am waitlisted at my in-state SOM, soit looks like I will end up here.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in buying a used textbook Human Physiology by Sherwood. Any recent grads out there interested in selling theirs? PM me if you want to sell yours. I prefer the 7th edition but may buy the 6th.

Has anyone used the international version of this book? How does it compare to the US version?

Thanks

Hey everyone, I just got accepted for Fall 2011 and am really excited for the opportunity!!
I knew people have mentioned this in earlier post but just for bump sake what are the nicer, safe neighborhoods of Clinton? Or would you suggest just leaving in Jackson or somewhere outside of Clinton?
Secondly, what do MC grad/undergrad people do socially at night or where do they hang out? Are there any club/bar scenes around there or is it more of the "if you are bored just go hang out at the mall" type of scene?
Next, about how many students are in this masters?
Lastly, how have some of you registered already? I am hoping that I can still manage to choose classes and not be limited to what is just open.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amending to my previous post, which was more about student, life I have some more questions about the program itself:

Anyone have an idea of how many graduated students make it into med school? The "news" page on their website makes it seem like a good amount do...does this mean many med schools know the MC program well?

How many students are admitted into the program? If I have this and not the previous question, I can use that plus the "news" section that lists acceptances and piece the puzzle together myself :laugh:

Does anyone know what percentage of students who enter this program are accepted to US medical schools? Thanks :D

Hey everyone, I just got accepted for Fall 2011 and am really excited for the opportunity!!
I knew people have mentioned this in earlier post but just for bump sake what are the nicer, safe neighborhoods of Clinton? Or would you suggest just leaving in Jackson or somewhere outside of Clinton?
Secondly, what do MC grad/undergrad people do socially at night or where do they hang out? Are there any club/bar scenes around there or is it more of the "if you are bored just go hang out at the mall" type of scene?
Next, about how many students are in this masters?
Lastly, how have some of you registered already? I am hoping that I can still manage to choose classes and not be limited to what is just open.

Hi! Glad to hear you're accepted as well. :)

As far as neighborhoods, everyone has told me do NOT live in Jackson. I personally will be living in Ridgeland (party at my house first week! haha), but I looked at apartments in Clinton, Flowood, Ridgeland, and Brandon. Flowood and Ridgeland had the best options (but they were also a little pricier), and there seems to be quite a bit to do. There are a lot of shopping and dining options. We'll probably all be too busy to even think about hanging out, but if we get the chance, I think there will be plenty of places to go, all within about 20 minutes of the university.

Last count I had, about 98 people had joined the FB group (myself not being one of them), but that doesn't mean every single person is going to the program. I think it's a fair rough estimate though.

I've already registered and am in Histology, Med Phys, and Biochem. I'm sure you'll still be able to get in what you want, if you haven't already. I didn't look at the date on your post, so I'm not sure how old it is. :p

Welcome aboard the MC family! :) I'll see you there.

Does anyone know what percentage of students who enter this program are accepted to US medical schools? Thanks :D

I'm not aware of a percentage, but I personally know several individuals whom have been accepted into medical or dental school from the MC masters program.

HI! What are the reasons for not living in Jackson? Is it not safe? Also what apartments did you find in suitable in Ridgeland? Hopefully I will make it to the area this week to look around.

Traveling is probably the biggest issue. When you have 830 class or want to stay in the gross lab until 4am..traveling to and from Jackson is a huge hassle.

HI! What are the reasons for not living in Jackson? Is it not safe? Also what apartments did you find in suitable in Ridgeland? Hopefully I will make it to the area this week to look around.

Hi there! Well, from what people I talked to who live in the area told me, Jackson isn't just the safest town to live in. There are nicer parts of it, don't get me wrong. But for myself personally, the pricing on apartments just wasn't going to cut it (less nice apartments were higher than surrounding areas' nicer ones). As far as travel goes, if you weren't going to live right in Clinton, you might as well go the few extra miles and live in Ridgeland or Flowood instead of Jackson. It's only about a 20 minute drive (believe me, I drove it a lot while I was down there visiting!) and it's a much nicer area, from what I could tell.

I REALLY liked The Trace at Ridgeland, but Reflection Pointe in Flowood is also really nice. RP is a bit pricier though, if that is a concern. A lot of it depends on if you are planning on having a roommate or not, because that can make the cost of living go down a little so you may be able to afford a pricier place.

It also depends on what you want out of your complex. There are some nicer ones with fewer amenities in Clinton (I believe?) but I really wanted somewhere with a fitness center. And I have a kitten, so I had to have somewhere that allowed pets. So if you don't have pets or you could take it or leave it on the fitness center, you may be able to find somewhere around Clinton that's nice too. I would suggest looking on jacksonapartmentguide.com and there you can search by town, price range, size, and several other criteria.

GOOD LUCK! Glad to hear you'll be with me down there. :) If you have other questions, I'd be happy to help if I can. Goodness knows I don't have all the answers, but I'll try. Just PM me. :)

If you want a nicer place with a gym and allows pets, live at the reserve. It's in Clinton and that's where most of the grad students live.

If you want a nicer place with a gym and allows pets, live at the reserve. It's in Clinton and that's where most of the grad students live.

I looked at the Reserve, but I didn't think the pricing was too fantastic. I guess it depends on if you live alone or with roommates though? Not sure. I'm old and mean and set in my ways, so I'll be flying solo, lol. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at the Reserve, but I didn't think the pricing was too fantastic. I guess it depends on if you live alone or with roommates though? Not sure. I'm old and mean and set in my ways, so I'll be flying solo, lol. :p

Then you'll fit right in at this cutthroat program lol.

Then you'll fit right in at this cutthroat program lol.

LOL! Nice to know I'll finally fit in somewhere! :p

Actually, I'll probably be the one who takes everything personally and gets my feelings hurt. I'm sensitive, you know! Haha.

Hello,

I was recently accepted to the program and am now looking for a place to live/roommate. I have not found an apartment yet but if any of you have found one and are also looking for a roommate then please send me a private message so that we can further discuss.

Hello,

I was recently accepted to the program and am now looking for a place to live/roommate. I have not found an apartment yet but if any of you have found one and are also looking for a roommate then please send me a private message so that we can further discuss.

Join the mississippi college medical sciences facebook group. Lots of ppl looking for roomies

I have some Q's about the program:

1. How many students are in each class (Anatomy, Physiology, etc)?

2. Can anyone give details about the paper you write? Do you also give a presentation with it?

3. Is it possible to finish the 33 hours in 2 semesters?

Thanks in advance

2. Can anyone give details about the paper you write? Do you also give a presentation with it?

Thanks in advance

Hi!

1. Depends. Whenever you register for classes, it will tell you beside the class how many people have also registered for it.

2. I don't think there is a presentation with most classes, but don't quote me; some classes have their syllabi online via the MC Masters Medical Science website- check that out for details on the paper. Here's a helpful link: http://www.mc.edu/campus/academics/BIO/courselist.htm
The graduate courses are near the bottom.

3. No, unless you want to kill yourself and/or fail everything. I'm not being a smartie, I'm being serious. It's not possible, it's not designed to be possible. The highest hours per semester I heard of anyone taking was 13, and that's pretty killer. Don't hurt yourself and your GPA by trying to get done in 2 semesters.

Thanks in advance

To answer question number 3.

I just finished the program in May 2011. I started in August 2010, and it took me the Fall, Spring, and May semesters to complete the 32-hr requirement. So I basically finished in 1 academic calendar year. Sucks for the incoming students, as the requirement is now 33-hrs. I really have no idea why they added the extra hour, probably just to get more money for the program. It is still possible to finish the program in 2 actual semesters + 1 Maymester. But do the math, 14 hours in the Fall and 14 hours in the Spring and 5 during the Maymester. Or you could take it a little easier in May (take only a 3 hour class), and then take Pharmacology during Summer Session I. Although I did finish relatively quickly, it will require a great deal of work if this is what you plan on doing. That being said, finishing the program in such a manner does not work for everyone. A great deal of students take 3 full semesters.

Hit me up with any questions! I'd be glad to be of help. :cool:

To answer question number 3.

I just finished the program in May 2011. I started in August 2010, and it took me the Fall, Spring, and May semesters to complete the 32-hr requirement. So I basically finished in 1 academic calendar year. Sucks for the incoming students, as the requirement is now 33-hrs. I really have no idea why they added the extra hour, probably just to get more money for the program. It is still possible to finish the program in 2 actual semesters + 1 Maymester. But do the math, 14 hours in the Fall and 14 hours in the Spring and 5 during the Maymester. Or you could take it a little easier in May (take only a 3 hour class), and then take Pharmacology during Summer Session I. Although I did finish relatively quickly, it will require a great deal of work if this is what you plan on doing. That being said, finishing the program in such a manner does not work for everyone. A great deal of students take 3 full semesters.

Hit me up with any questions! I'd be glad to be of help. :cool:

I'm Impressed...because many students i have spoken to, tell me it is better to take less semester loads and perform better than taking much more and graduating on time. If you don't mind me asking, how well did you do in the program considering the fact that it took you only two semesters. And also since i just got into the program, looking at my classes it seems like endocrinology might be the class taken from a three to four credit from what i heard due to its course load.......besides that what advice/method would you give to students just getting into the program as far as hours of studies is concerned!

I'm Impressed...because many students i have spoken to, tell me it is better to take less semester loads and perform better than taking much more and graduating on time. If you don't mind me asking, how well did you do in the program considering the fact that it took you only two semesters. And also since i just got into the program, looking at my classes it seems like endocrinology might be the class taken from a three to four credit from what i heard due to its course load.......besides that what advice/method would you give to students just getting into the program as far as hours of studies is concerned!

I finished with a 3.7 GPA. Do I regret not getting a 4.0? Only slightly. Those friends of mine that did end up with 4.0's, for the most part, took a slightly more relaxed schedule. But I'll give credit where credit is due, and these students who got 4.0's are still quite exceptional students. I Took all 4 of the 5-hour courses b/w the Fall and Spring semesters, plus a few other classes. During Maymester I took the 2-hr seminar and the 3-hr Medical Mycology class. If you feel that you are a strong student, and you are a seriously disciplined "studier," then I believe it is possible to do it this way. **This is just my opinion, though.** The reason I completed the program in such a manner is that I felt "if I couldn't handle this kind of a load, then how would I fare in medical school?" Not to mention, I'm not from MS, so I had no chance of getting into UMC. I had to try and create a schedule (in terms of course load and difficulty) that would closely mimic the other "true" SMP programs to have any shot of getting into my state schools. Some people end up spreading out their time at MC over 3 semesters, and along the way they waste money taking some bullsh*t classes (i.e. Genomics, Human Heredity...etc). I wanted to get in and get out. If you look at most of the other SMP programs, they are designed to be completed in a calendar year.

In terms of how much you should study each day, it really ranges from student to student. I personally believe that one should study close to 6 dedicated hours each day. That means without distractions! No laptops, no facebook, etc! Find a good partner to go over the lab structures with for Neuro and Gross. Having multiple friends who can quiz you on the cadavers and models is a great help. If you study your butt off consistently for each lecture and lab quiz (given weekly in the 5-hr classes), come exam time it won't be as stressful when you are preparing. I also believe this is the key to success/getting A's in the 5 hour classes. Speed of learning is also key. You will be memorizing lots of information in a small amount of time.

Make sure you take time to make friends, too! Most people are really awesome and super helpful in the program. I made some truly great friends in my time down in MS.

Hey! I am going to be a grad student for the Medical Masters this fall and was wondering if any previous students could give me some advice on my schedule and their professors?!

Histology with Dunigan
Neuroanatomy with Baldwin
Cell Physiology with Howell
Graduate Seminar with Carmicle

Thank you!!:D

Hey! I am going to be a grad student for the Medical Masters this fall and was wondering if any previous students could give me some advice on my schedule and their professors?!

Histology with Dunigan
Neuroanatomy with Baldwin
Cell Physiology with Howell
Graduate Seminar with Carmicle

Thank you!!:D

You have a solid schedule. I never took Cell Phys so I can't really say anything about that class. Seminar is straight forward. Do the work, make your time for your presentation, and show up for attendance and you will get an A. For Histo, study the notes for lecture and look at as many slides or pics as you can for lab. The more you practice the better. Dr. Dunigan is tough but she is fair. She is a great professor and she will make sure you leave the class knowing a lot. For Neuro, DO NOT miss class. The notes are essentially blank and you fill in the information that's tested as he lectures. I also highly recommend recording lectures in Neuro because even if you can focus the entire class, you're bound to miss something. Also study the blue boxes at the end of the assigned chapters. They are very important. Make sure you go back into the chapter to read in detail about the concepts in the blue boxes. Dr. Baldwin is one of the best professors I've ever had. You will enjoy his class. Good luck.

Hey people. I'm starting in the Fall and I am enrolled in Biochem, Human Heredity, and Gross. Any feedback on this schedule. I honestly struggled in science classes in undergrad so I'm trying to completely refocus all of my study habits to do well in this program.

I hate to waste money taking classes like Human Heredity, in which I have no interest, but if I can do well then that's what I'm going to do.

I should know this since I'm dental, but I don't: do they give shelf/board exams in dental school like the ones they give at MC? Just wanted to know if pre-dental students take the shelf exams?

If I finish Dec 2012 (given I go the 3 semester route) any suggestions on what to do during the gap right after graduation?

I would recommend replacing Human Heredity with Human Embryology or Special Topics Physiology.

The shelf exams given at MC are the exact shelf exams medical students take. I'm pretty sure dental schools have their own standardized subject exams but those aren't offered at MC. If dental schools do have their own, I would ask Dr. Baldwin if that could be an option at MC.

During the gap, you should do whatever you need to improve any weak points on your application package. The MC program works on your GPA. If you need to retake the DAT, do that. If you need more volunteering experience, research, shadowing, etc, this would be the perfect time to do it. There's always something you can do to improve on your application.

Study for this program as if you were already in dental school. Treat it like a full time job. You all will do great. Best of luck. :thumbup:

Hey guys! Can anyone provide any advice on the following schedule? This is my first semester, and I have always loved gross, but every first year student (i.e. first semester in the program) seems to be taking Neuro! Is there something I don't know?

My schedule (already registered):

Gross (5 hour) + Histo (5 hour)+ Cell Phys (2-hour)= 12 hours total

How does this look? Any comments on taking Histo & Gross together?:confused:

Hey guys! Can anyone provide any advice on the following schedule? This is my first semester, and I have always loved gross, but every first year student (i.e. first semester in the program) seems to be taking Neuro! Is there something I don't know?

I'm not taking Neuro either, so don't worry. :) I've got Histo, Phys, and Biochem.

I think I read on a previous post that Histo and Gross were hard together but doable; Gross and Phys is what you don't want to do, from what I understood. Also, the email Dr. Baldwin sent with the alt. PIN number had an attachment that gave a good idea of a lot of the classes. If you don't have it, let me know and I'll forward it to you.

We should switch notes next semester. I've give you my Phys, you give me your Gross! Lol.

Very doable schedule. The only unfortunate part is it will be straight memorization and very little conceptualization, as Gross and Histo are pretty much straight memorization courses.

Thanks guys! I will let you know how gross & histo work out together!..........and yes @tnlagirl, we will def have to exchange notes :D

hi all

i was just accepted into the Master of Science – Biology Medical Science program at Mississippi College today! i'm hesitant to go. will it really make a difference in my chances to go to medical school? i'm a little afraid to make such a huge move. thanks guys:)

hi all

i was just accepted into the Master of Science – Biology Medical Science program at Mississippi College today! i'm hesitant to go. will it really make a difference in my chances to go to medical school? i'm a little afraid to make such a huge move. thanks guys:)
I just started the program and i think it's really up to you. if you feel like you are in a good position to get into medical school without any struggles; then go for it don't worry about the program. But if you feel a little bit sketchy about your chances of getting into med school then make the leap and give the program your best shot. For the most part students who go through this program and do well on their MCATs get into medical school...no doubt about that. The classes are taught by physicians and professors teaching med school so you are pretty much setting yourself up for success if you do the program giving it all you have.

Hey guys. I am still willing to help those thinking about the program and those who are in the program and need some tips with the classes they're taking. The only problem is that I am going to be really busy so if you private message me, I'll get an email notification and I can get back to you sooner since I won't be checking this thread on a day-to-day basis.

Hardworker14, gross and histo together is very doable. I took both with embryo and I survived. Like someone said before, it'll be straight memorization though so be prepared to fill your brain will all kinds of minute details.

I hope all of you are planning on going to the mixer. Talk to the upperclassmen and get tips from them. Talk to each other and help each other out. Some former students who are now in professional school might be there so get to know them and ask them for advice. Best of luck guys! :thumbup:

Last edited:
So I've been reading and gathering information on this Mississippi program for some time now. I got a good feeling from the admissions office and everyone I have spoken with at the college was helpful.

On a recent road trip I drove through Clinton to see if I would like it and it did look nice.

So the general thinking is if you get a decent MCAT score, study very hard and take your time to finish this 33-hour program with good grades over three semesters, you stand a decent shot at a good medical school even with a less than spectacular undergrad GPA?

I've also seen post there that say that the courses at MC will make medical years one and two seem much easier or at the very least, less stressful. For those that have attended, the course work is THAT similar to medical school. It would be worth it to me to attend and pay for MC if it took the edge of my first two years of medical school and gave me time to breathe.

Can I have found what I've been looking for?

Just received an email from Dr. Baldwin granting me the opportunity to attend Mississippi College for the January semester! I am so thrilled to attend this program! Is anyone else joining the program in January? If anyone has any insight/advice that they can relay, please PM me! Thank you in advance!

I will be attending this program in the spring and am looking forward to it!

Is anyone looking for a roomate for the spring semester and have any suggestions on where to live etc? If so, please let me know so we can discuss further.

Does anyone know if they have a facebook group open? I searched on fb but the ones they have are closed. I know the one they had up had ppl selling books and apartment locations and seemed very helpful. Just wondering if they had a new group open.

Yes, just add yourself to the group 2011-2012 and you will be accepted within a day or two. There, you will find all of the things you are looking for (especially as a newcomer). I will be joining in the Spring as well! Hope this helps!

I can't seem to find the group for 2012-2013? I have tried different searches and can't even find the closed group? Suggestions?

The 2012-2013 group is called "2012-2013 New Grad Students Medical Sciences Mississippi College"....here is a link...http://www.facebook.com/groups/369949356361976/.....

You may also want to read through the old 2011-2012 group starting last summer (maybe May-Aug 2011) there is great information there to, but it'll take you a time to find it.
" 2011-2012 New Medical Science Graduate Students Mississippi College"

Good luck guys

Did y'all have a problem getting in touch with Dr. Baldwin? I have sent two emails and called several times with no results. Just want to know if I'm going to be admitted so that I can register.

I actually called Ms Depriest last week to check on the status of my app because I mailed my check two weeks ago and they still haven't cash it. She had told me that there was an additional grade sheet that I needed to return before they would send it to admission (Dr Baldwin). Apparently they had a high number of of applications so that could be the hold up as well.

I have a quick question! If I started this program Summer 2012 and finished it by Spring 2013, would I still be able to apply to MC's Dental School for FALL 2013 and get accepted even though interviews and such go out before December 1, 2012?

I just applied to this program a week ago, and was wondering how long it took for them to make a decision?

I have a quick question! If I started this program Summer 2012 and finished it by Spring 2013, would I still be able to apply to MC's Dental School for FALL 2013 and get accepted even though interviews and such go out before December 1, 2012?

I just applied to this program a week ago, and was wondering how long it took for them to make a decision?

You can always apply since the program is not completing admissions requirements. I know the admissions committee at the medical school that I've spoken with won't truly consider my app until the close of the fall semester so that they can evaluate my performance in the program.

As far as how quick they make admissions decisions, I submitted my application at the beginning of the month and have not heard from them. Also, have you submitted the grade sheet required? I didn't know about that until several weeks after my application was complete. Contact Ms. DePriest at the school and she will email it to you.

You can always apply since the program is not completing admissions requirements. I know the admissions committee at the medical school that I've spoken with won't truly consider my app until the close of the fall semester so that they can evaluate my performance in the program.

As far as how quick they make admissions decisions, I submitted my application at the beginning of the month and have not heard from them. Also, have you submitted the grade sheet required? I didn't know about that until several weeks after my application was complete. Contact Ms. DePriest at the school and she will email it to you.

Thanks so much theSmurfette :)! Whats a grade sheet? I thought we only had to turn in the application, fee, and transcripts.

Thanks so much theSmurfette :)! Whats a grade sheet? I thought we only had to turn in the application, fee, and transcripts.

The grade sheet is just a form to fill out that shows your grades and whatnot for the admission requirements. Ms. Depriest in the graduate admissions department sent it to me via email. I too did not know about it until I called her about my application.

Last edited: