Mississippi State University class of 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hotfillyky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guess I will start this one up......MSU is one of my top choices.:D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering applying here, but I don't think my grades will be good enough. I really like the program and the school, though. There's a relief vet who comes into the clinic where I work who is a MSU alum and always speaks highly of it. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering applying here, but I don't think my grades will be good enough. I really like the program and the school, though. There's a relief vet who comes into the clinic where I work who is a MSU alum and always speaks highly of it. :thumbup:

I would suggest you make contact and talk with Dr. Meiring and talk frankly with him. I applied there last year largely do to advice from him and because a friend of mine constantly raved about the school.

I believe there are pros and cons for every school. However, in MSU's case, the pros far outweigh the cons!

Good luck!:D

I would suggest you make contact and talk with Dr. Meiring and talk frankly with him. I applied there last year largely do to advice from him and because a friend of mine constantly raved about the school.

I believe there are pros and cons for every school. However, in MSU's case, the pros far outweigh the cons!

Good luck!:D

Thank you, and I have actually already contacted him about a month ago. My cGPA ad sciGPA are fairly low...but my last 45 is really high and I completed a science-based Master's degree, all of which he said would help. But still...he said it would be a gamble. Mostly because I am OOS and it's hard to predict the applicant pool each year. I'm short on funds, so I'm trying to apply as smart as possible...still have a few months to deliberate!

Yay! I'm glad to see this thread was finally started! I'm a current student there. I'll try to answer any questions, but I've also only started last week. :D

Yay! I'm glad to see this thread was finally started! I'm a current student there. I'll try to answer any questions, but I've also only started last week. :D
How has your first week gone so far twistedrose?! Is it as scary as they say??

How has your first week gone so far twistedrose?! Is it as scary as they say??
It's not bad so far. A lot of it has been material I've learned previously. However, I can see where things are going to get overwhelming quickly. We have three tests in the next 2.5 weeks! I really enjoy how our schedule is set-up. We don't have the same professors all semester like we did in undergrad. They rotate through, so I think that will keep things interesting.

It's not bad so far. A lot of it has been material I've learned previously. However, I can see where things are going to get overwhelming quickly. We have three tests in the next 2.5 weeks! I really enjoy how our schedule is set-up. We don't have the same professors all semester like we did in undergrad. They rotate through, so I think that will keep things interesting.

TR - when you have time can you share some details of what the school, town, etc...is like? When I was there in February for my interview, I didn't really have a lot of time for exploring. I did like what I saw though and had a good vibe from the people I spoke with on campus.

can i ask how/why you guys started in july?? this is peculiar.

They are a 2 + 2 program so get a jump on classes by starting early. This also means they get in clinics early. Most terms have 20 to 23 credit hours. Learned all that in February.

TR - when you have time can you share some details of what the school, town, etc...is like? When I was there in February for my interview, I didn't really have a lot of time for exploring. I did like what I saw though and had a good vibe from the people I spoke with on campus.
To be honest, I was nervous about moving down because I thought there would be nothing to do here. However, it's a cute little city. There are a lot of small businesses. It's true there isn't much, and the closest mall worth visiting is 2 hours away, but those would only be distractions from studying anyway. I found a few clubs outside the vet school to join, and those will take a good bit of my time if I let them. Everything is easy to find once you get used to the area. Almost all the places you need to know about are on Highway 12.

Everyone is super nice! I love it here so far. I had a few problems with internet and financial aide, but everything was taken care of today. I like the professors and staff at the vet school. I enjoy my classes. The vet school is kind of separate from the rest of campus.

I'm hoping to start a blog today or tomorrow. I'll let you know when it's up.

They are a 2 + 2 program so get a jump on classes by starting early. This also means they get in clinics early. Most terms have 20 to 23 credit hours. Learned all that in February.
Yep, it's because we are 2+2. I'm probably going to start dreading this semester later on since it runs July-December, but it will be worth it to finish classes in 2 years. The 2nd year students start almost a month later than us. The course load doesn't seem too bad, though.

To be honest, I was nervous about moving down because I thought there would be nothing to do here. However, it's a cute little city. There are a lot of small businesses. It's true there isn't much, and the closest mall worth visiting is 2 hours away, but those would only be distractions from studying anyway. I found a few clubs outside the vet school to join, and those will take a good bit of my time if I let them. Everything is easy to find once you get used to the area. Almost all the places you need to know about are on Highway 12.

Everyone is super nice! I love it here so far. I had a few problems with internet and financial aide, but everything was taken care of today. I like the professors and staff at the vet school. I enjoy my classes. The vet school is kind of separate from the rest of campus.

I'm hoping to start a blog today or tomorrow. I'll let you know when it's up.

Yep, it's because we are 2+2. I'm probably going to start dreading this semester later on since it runs July-December, but it will be worth it to finish classes in 2 years. The 2nd year students start almost a month later than us. The course load doesn't seem too bad, though.

:thumbup::thumbup: I can't wait to read it!

Members don't see this ad :)

I have a very strong interest in Mississippi State. My GPA and GRE aren't great, but I have alot of veterinary and animal experience and have been extremely involved in extracurricular activities throughout undergrad. I would love to visit with Dr. Meiring about my chances, but I am OOS. What do you think is the best way to get in contact with Dr. Meiring?

:thumbup::thumbup: I can't wait to read it!
I sent you a link. :) If anyone else is interested, PM me. I'm new to this, so I hope you like it.

I have a very strong interest in Mississippi State. My GPA and GRE aren't great, but I have alot of veterinary and animal experience and have been extremely involved in extracurricular activities throughout undergrad. I would love to visit with Dr. Meiring about my chances, but I am OOS. What do you think is the best way to get in contact with Dr. Meiring?
You could try calling the admissions office and ask if you can discuss your application.

I sent you a link. :) If anyone else is interested, PM me. I'm new to this, so I hope you like it.

Send me the link! MSU is one of my top schools so I would love to read it :)

I'm not applying this cycle but the more I read about MSU the more I love the program. I haven't been able to find anything about their evaluation criteria though ... Have any of you found it or know what they look for in applicants?

I am OOS too. I emailed him. Keep in mind too that I am a non-trad and was VERY frank about a lot of my info. Be prepared to send him your transcripts if he asks. He was EXCELLENT with response to all emails and was the final push for me to apply (and reapply) there especially with the cost.

It's worth a shot at least......you never know what you may get unless you ask.

I'm not applying this cycle but the more I read about MSU the more I love the program. I haven't been able to find anything about their evaluation criteria though ... Have any of you found it or know what they look for in applicants?

ESC - the feedback he gave me post-interview was very helpful for me. However, it may be quite individual.

They want good GPAs (average of 3.5 was fine).
They want good GRE scores (mine was 299 which was equal to the freshman class).

They want you to be well-rounded individuals.
They want you to have a good sense of self.
They want a well written PS. Make it personal. Tell a story. (This is exactly what I did and he said that they had NO suggestions on improving it.)

Obviously, they want you to have good veterinary and animal experience.

I think that MSU does an exceptional job of looking at the whole applicant. THIS is why I will be applying there again. This is just my 0.02 guys so keep that in mind.:D

You could try calling the admissions office and ask if you can discuss your application.

I like what you've got so far! :thumbup::D

I like what you've got so far! :thumbup::D
Yay! Thanks! :)

Link has been sent.

I know my class average GPA was a 3.6. Not sure about GRE scores. I was a contract applicant, so I believe I was evaluated in a slightly different way. I think GRE scores weren't as important for me. In the first file review I had after I first applied, I was told to get more hands-on veterinary experience. A lot of my experience had been shadowing and was spread out over several semesters. I was told 500 hours was just average. I had a lot of non-animal related community/extracurricular activities, and I think that helped my application. If you end up interviewing, don't come across as shy.

Yay! Thanks! :)

Link has been sent.

I know my class average GPA was a 3.6. Not sure about GRE scores. I was a contract applicant, so I believe I was evaluated in a slightly different way. I think GRE scores weren't as important for me. In the first file review I had after I first applied, I was told to get more hands-on veterinary experience. A lot of my experience had been shadowing and was spread out over several semesters. I was told 500 hours was just average. I had a lot of non-animal related community/extracurricular activities, and I think that helped my application. If you end up interviewing, don't come across as shy.

Absolutely agree!! They asked me tons of questions and must have liked my responses. I didn't hold back with any question they asked and they did ask some tough ones. I very much enjoyed my MSU interview despite the weather.

Bumping this thread. Got the email "December Update" today and it sounds like they are going to be sending invites soon. Does anybody know how many interview invites they send out? It's my first time applying to MSU OOS (second cycle though) so I'm just hoping and praying. I'm going to be checking my email even more now.. :-/

Reactions: 1 user
First time applying to msu, first cycle. Their emails are always so friendly and nice, so I really hope I can get an interview there. I'm from UF too!
Awesome! UF is the best and my top choice of course. Fingers crossed for the both of us. :)

Bumping this thread. Got the email "December Update" today and it sounds like they are going to be sending invites soon. Does anybody know how many interview invites they send out? It's my first time applying to MSU OOS (second cycle though) so I'm just hoping and praying. I'm going to be checking my email even more now.. :-/
If I heard correctly, they were finishing up their reviews on the last group of applications a few weeks ago. From past experience, I know they usually send out their invites during the beginning of the second half of December, so around the 20th-22nd second, give or take a few days. The interviews will be held around the beginning of February. I wouldn't worry about checking your email for at least another week. :)
First time applying to msu, first cycle. Their emails are always so friendly and nice, so I really hope I can get an interview there.
If you get an interview and have the chance to visit us, you'll learn that they are friendly and nice in person as well. Missy is such a wonderful person, and I enjoy talking with her. They really care about their students and faculty. They held an ice cream social today, gave us exam snacks on exam days, homemade dinners are served on reading days, and a few months ago, we had a free lunch with a dunk tank for us to dunk the professors and clinicians. I love the school.
Does anybody know how many interview invites they send out?
Not sure. I looked back through some old threads, and it appeared as if a few years ago (when c/o 2015 was applying), it was about 200 applicants. If you do get an interview, they usually give you more detailed stats at the interview orientation.

Last edited:
If I heard correctly, they were finishing up their reviews on the last group of applications a few weeks ago. From past experience, I know they usually send out their invites during the beginning of the second half of December, so around the 20th-22nd second, give or take a few days. The interviews will be held around the beginning of February. I wouldn't worry about checking your email for at least another week. :)

If you get an interview and have the chance to visit us, you'll learn that they are friendly and nice in person as well. Missy is such a wonderful person, and I enjoy talking with her. They really care about their students and faculty. They held an ice cream social today, gave us exam snacks on exam days, homemade dinners are served on reading days, and a few months ago, we had a free lunch with a dunk tank for us to dunk the professors and clinicians. I love the school.

Not sure. I looked back through some old threads, and it appeared as if a few years ago (when c/o 2015 was applying), it was about 200 applicants. If you do get an interview, they usually give you more detailed stats at the interview orientation.
Thank you for the information! The school sounds great and now I really really hope I get an interview! :)

Hey guys!! I just called admissions today and spoke with Missy about interview invites. She told me she sent out interview invites today through email. So I started to freak out because I haven't received any emails from her today. She said I should have got an email either way so evidently something is wrong with their system. She told me to call in the morning if I didn't get an email from her today so she could resend them. So hopefully everyone will hear something tonight or tomorrow if they get the email situation fixed. She told me over the phone that I had an interview!! So excited! Good luck everyone!

Yea she just told me she sent them out today as well. Didn't get an email yet though

OMG praying I don't get more bad news in one day! I still haven't gotten an email either.

My email just came through!! Yay!! It's on 2/5 :)

Oh goodness! I emailed her earlier today asking if we would hear anything by the end of the week. I didn't get an email back. I haven't received anything yet. I gor my rejection from VMRCVM today. :( Let's hope better news from Mississippi.

Wrote too soon, just got my rejection. Two in one day. :(

This is my first interview! I'm so excited! 1/29!!!!

Ugh two in one day :( this sucks so bad!

I'm sorry guys......keep your chin up

Got my interview invite! Feb 3rd

Got mine!! February 5th! So excited!!

WV student, Feb 3rd interview!! How many other WV students??

I got one for the 5th!

Just got mine today for 2/4!

Last edited:
why is everyone else interview in February? :thinking:

This is a guess but the dates are a week apart. They probably just split up the interviews between those 2 weeks.. Good question though

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think, based on the other people I know with interviews, it might be alphabetical. That's just a guess, though! Congrats!

Anyone else an SC student? Also anyone else interviewing 1/27?

Congrats to everyone with interview invites! If you didn't get one, I know it's hard, but try not to be too disappointed. Keep trying! Make sure you do a file review when they offer one because they are really helpful. I know from experience. Good luck on the rest of this application cycle!
Normally they would interview WV and SC residents on the same day, and that day was usually the first round of interviews, but it didn't work out that way this year. Instead, there will be some OOS interviews on the contract interview days. In state residents are usually interviewed on separate days than out of state and contract residents.

It make sense to divide up the interviews into two weeks. Interviews take up a lot of time from everyone's schedule because it's almost an all-day event for everyone involved. Even us current students help out, but we still have classes to attend and tests to take.
WV student, Feb 3rd interview!! How many other WV students??
I'm sure there are quite a few watching this thread that have never posted. :p There are also quite a few who have posted in the past but are no longer active.