Misspellings on Activity Section of AMCAS

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Monkey12, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Monkey12

Monkey12 Monkey12

I just noticed that I made two misspellings on my work/activity section on my amcas. I just submitted this past Tuesday. Has anyone attempted to have amcas change minor things like this? I know it's really annoying and I'm mad at myself for doing it. They were words I've typed a million times, but I just wanted to start the process off with my best foot forward.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. leahmaria

leahmaria Senior Member

Medical Student
    I don't know if it is in your best interest to have it fixed with how long it would take, and it seems to me that it might be impossible to do at this point...no changes after submission...

4. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Banned Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    rule 1. never, everrr look back over your AMCAS AFTER you've submitted it, it will do one and one thing only, make you worry

dont worry about the typo, theres nada u can do and it prolly wont matter

5. GujuMD

GujuMD 1K member

Medical Student
    I attempted last year and was not successful. I called several times and talked to different person each time and they all said no.

6. beaverfetus

beaverfetus poo-tee-weet?

Medical Student
    don't feel too bad, one of my activities is a two sentence description of my 10 years of kayaking experience and I managed to screw up the grammar.

7. Monkey12

Monkey12 Monkey12

You're all totally right. I just copy and pasted it into word from the PDF so that I would have it for my records and the green squiggly line popped up on 2 words. I wish I'd of never done that. Oh well.

8. jstuds_66

jstuds_66 Free cat to a good home

Medical Student
    Bad News Bears. Errors stick out like sore thumbs.

9. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    Submit is forever, people. A little trick? Once you've pasted or typed something into a secondary, copy it into a word doc to see if you get any squigglys. And do one more read-through. Couldn't hurt. Might help.

10. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Thats what I did. Good advice. I copied and pasted everything from my app to MS Word. Then went squiggly by squiggly and fixed everything till all was well. I have re-read a few times after submission and wished that I could change around some wording in a few places, but no glaring errors thank goodness. Best not not look back. Don't sweat it if you have a few errors because there is so much to you application, espeicially with LOR's and all, that I doubt it will be a focus.

11. Requip

Requip Member

Pre-Medical
    Does AMCAS even change things for people? Anyone heard/experienced them changing someones app post submission?

12. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    Nope. The only time you can go in there and change things, is when THEY unlock your transcripts for you, because the way you did it is SO TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY wrong that they make YOU re-do it.

They aren't going to touch or let you touch everything else. In all of those statements they go over the fact that submit is forever.

13. tandski

tandski MS3

Medical Student

Just to let you know I am in the same boat, two spelling errors...and yes it is driving me crazy but there is nothing I can do. Oh well, hopefully I have showed them in my secondaries I can spell!

14. dittozip

dittozip Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    how about a more serious mistake that I have found...

i wrote i was a chairperson for an activity that i was really a co-chair for. is this a problem? my gf says they are the same thing.....

15. 63768

63768 Guest

Medical Student
    i think it's similar enough. a serious error would involve putting down that you were the president when you were a secretary.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. dittozip

dittozip Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    do others agree?

18. Requip

Requip Member

Pre-Medical
    That sounds perfectly fine and an honest mistake if they were ever to call you on that which I doubt they would. You aren't lying b/c you were the chair, just that there was also another person as well. Like the others seem to say and until I hear from someone who has had amcas change something, there's no use in worrying about it.

19. dittozip

dittozip Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    i just like to be as honest as possible. although I was not intentionally dishonest, I would not want to be called out for it and never be allowed to go to med school.

20. Requip

Requip Member

Pre-Medical
    I understand, but you technically aren't lying...There just happened to be another chair.

21. dittozip

dittozip Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    i think i have settled on emailing each school and allowing them to print out the email and put in my file. I doubt it would be neg. no?

22. ChymeChancellor

Banned

Pre-Medical
    Just tell them you know DR. EUGENIC and you are probably all set.

23. Monkey12

Monkey12 Monkey12

I really think you're going to be alright, you did NOT lie.

24. top

Resident [Any Field]
    Errors are bad, but they're not a deal-breaker. I made several giant blatant errors in my activities, and a couple of smaller, more subtle ones in my PS. I about died when I re-read my primaries in preparation for interviews, but they didn't seem to affect my app process too much. So, don't sweat it, especially since you can't do anything about it...

25. Monkey12

Monkey12 Monkey12

That's a big relief, I was kicking myself for making such stupid errors on the most important application of my life. I also read in a book that spelling errors are an indication that you don't pay attention to detail, a bad sign for an aspiring doctor. Oh well...

26. butmylipshurtrealbad

butmylipshurtrealbad Coolesteverclubmem4life

Pre-Medical
    ditto I really wouldn't do this-- the mistake is totally an okay mistake to make, and one that no one will notice; that is, unless you bring it up by sending them an email. Really, it's better to call attention to positive things with updates and such later on, but not to negative things unless you absolutely have to. I actually think I did the same thing on my AMCAS for a club I was co-chair of, and I even talk about being co-chair in my description. It definitely was never brought up.