Mistake -customer complained to board of pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I suspect is has something to do with their mandate to investigate all complaints, no matter how trivial. I had a patient complain to the board because I refused to fill an oxy 30 xanax 2 combo from a psyche dr over 300 miles away. The board sent me an inquiry asking for my side, I responded, they thanked me for my time and tossed the case.

TSBP explicitly states that they do not handle "customer service" complaints, and I've always kept a thick refusal to fill binder jammed with information.

In fact, I've never heard of anyone in my state getting a call for something like that.

It could just be that I'm the one out of touch.
Lol

Members don't see this ad.

the board of pharmacy has time to investigate these kind of mistakes? damn

Are you responding to OP? Of course the board has time to investigate these kind of mistakes (wrong sig/dose), what do you think they do?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you responding to OP? Of course the board has time to investigate these kind of mistakes (wrong sig/dose), what do you think they do?
Among other things (at least for CA BOP):
  • throwing a fit when you fail to initial/date a single line on a 222 form.
  • throwing a fit when you accept an rx that doesn't have a check-box for # of refills.
  • throwing a fit when you can't immediately recite the language-service phone number.
  • throwing a fit when you fail to counsel on a *new* prescription.
  • last but not least, taking 3+ months to grade a series of multiple-choice electronic exams.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's all up to your leadership. We once had a staff meeting to explain a new policy for our department and were told we absolutely must follow this policy, do not make exceptions, and let us know if you get any push back so we can reeducate the necessary people.

I received a call one evening asking me to do the thing we were told not to do, I stood firm and said no, explained what they should do instead.

The next day I was reprimanded, the policy was changed, and I was given a very insulting lecture on how to take a telephone order as if I were a pharmacy student.

Looking back, it's hard to pinpoint exactly when they broke my spirit. It was probably a culmination of little things like these that made me just stop caring because nothing you did was ever good enough.

well that's the problem, you shouldn't have just stood there and took the "lecture" and get "reprimanded", they can change the policy however they want, but you shouldn't just take it if you are in the right

so basically all the hospital pharmacists here will just take the abuse and there is not one example of you guys standing your ground? damn lol

so basically all the hospital pharmacists here will just take the abuse and there is not one example of you guys standing your ground? damn lol

The nail that stands up will get pounded down (Chinese proverb?) Any hospital pharmacist standing their ground when they are clearly in the right and nursing is wrong will most likely get sympathy from their DOP, then a lecture on how things work in the hospital and that they can take it or get a different job. If they go above their DOP's head, then the nursing director (who in many hospital's will be their DOP's boss) will brand them a trouble maker, and then will either be 1) hararssed by nursing until they voluntarily quit 2) harrassed by nursing and constantly written up until they are fired.

But hey, maybe you are the one who can change decades (centuries?) of history. Get a hospital job and give it a try.

The nail that stands up will get pounded down (Chinese proverb?) Any hospital pharmacist standing their ground when they are clearly in the right and nursing is wrong will most likely get sympathy from their DOP, then a lecture on how things work in the hospital and that they can take it or get a different job. If they go above their DOP's head, then the nursing director (who in many hospital's will be their DOP's boss) will brand them a trouble maker, and then will either be 1) hararssed by nursing until they voluntarily quit 2) harrassed by nursing and constantly written up until they are fired.

But hey, maybe you are the one who can change decades (centuries?) of history. Get a hospital job and give it a try.

so basically all you had to write is, yes everyone takes the abuse lol

Reactions: 1 users
i made a mistake ( typed and verified half of a tablet on clonazepam 0.5 mg...and it should of been typed as 0.5mg, so as a result pt was taking 0.25 mg of clonazepam )
Pt complained to board of pharmacy ...
Now they want me to give them an explanation ...
What is the best way to do it?

As someone who deals with compliance day in and day out, i can offer some advice. Im in pharma but i believe compliance methodology is applicable across the board. I would just state where in the process the deviation was made. In your case it sounds like data entry. Then use the failure mode effects analysis (FMEA) and state how significant (2x dosage), the occurrence (1 error out of however many scrips you have filled), and detectability (you are verifying what you typed and filled and failed to detect the error).

Next, you can propose a CAPA plan for yourself as in corrective action and preventative action. Corrective action is what occurred to resolve the discrepancy for the patient. Preventative is what you actions you propose to prevent a re-occurrence. This may not prevent all disciplinary action but how you approach this explanation report can make a difference

Reactions: 1 users
As someone who deals with compliance day in and day out, i can offer some advice. Im in pharma but i believe compliance methodology is applicable across the board. I would just state where in the process the deviation was made. In your case it sounds like data entry. Then use the failure mode effects analysis (FMEA) and state how significant (2x dosage), the occurrence (1 error out of however many scrips you have filled), and detectability (you are verifying what you typed and filled and failed to detect the error).

Next, you can propose a CAPA plan for yourself as in corrective action and preventative action. Corrective action is what occurred to resolve the discrepancy for the patient. Preventative is what you actions you propose to prevent a re-occurrence. This may not prevent all disciplinary action but how you approach this explanation report can make a difference
Very good advice!
Thank you!

Nice

That's ridiculous though. I understand if the customer sues the company because there's a monetary gain. They gain nothing from reporting you to the board except being a raging asshat