Mistake Entering Courses with Lecture + Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quidam1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So my primary app was recently verified, and I just noticed I made an idiot move and didn't do the following for courses with lab + lecture:

"..if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab"

However, I did do this:

"Enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and indicate "Yes" in response to the question, "Did this course include a lab section?"

Does anyone know if I will have to resubmit the application? Or, should I just email the schools to indicate that these courses did include a lab? My transcript doesn't even indicate that courses are "with lab" (I'm Canadian)--so there's nothing to really verify by AMCAS....

Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

So my primary app was recently verified, and I just noticed I made an idiot move and didn't do the following for courses with lab + lecture:

"..if "General Chemistry II" appears on the official transcript and lab credit is included with the lecture course credit, enter "General Chemistry II and Lab"

However, I did do this:

"Enter "General Chemistry II and Lab" and indicate "Yes" in response to the question, "Did this course include a lab section?"

Does anyone know if I will have to resubmit the application? Or, should I just email the schools to indicate that these courses did include a lab? My transcript doesn't even indicate that courses are "with lab" (I'm Canadian)--so there's nothing to really verify by AMCAS....

Thanks in advance for the help.

Can you elaborate more on what your transcript shows -

Only "general chemistry II" - 3 credit hours. When in fact you had a lab?

Is it like that for all courses? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My chem and bio classes included lab which on my transcript it doesn't say it comes with a lab but it marks it as 4 credits.

so already you know it comes with the 1 credit lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you elaborate more on what your transcript shows -

Only "general chemistry II" - 3 credit hours. When in fact you had a lab?

Is it like that for all courses? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks for the reply MedAdComMD.

Yes, on my transcript all courses with a lab component say something like "physics II"-3 credit hours. For these courses with lecture + lab, AMCAS suggests to write "with lab" in the course name on the application. Unfortunately, I did not do this, but did select "Yes" for the checkbox which asks, "did this course include a lab component?" for each of these courses.

If the adcom sees exactly what I see on the primary application, there is no way for them to recognize my courses with lab components. I hope that makes sense.

Does this answer your question? Should I email each school to assure them that I do have required lab components for their science prerequisites?

Thanks again.

My chem and bio classes included lab which on my transcript it doesn't say it comes with a lab but it marks it as 4 credits.

so already you know it comes with the 1 credit lab.

Thanks for the reply torshi.

Unfortunately they don`t mark it as 4 credits for Canadian schools. All course credit hours, regardless of whether or not you have a lab, are either 3 (one semester course) or 6 (two semester course). So from what I can tell, there`s nothing for them to see there is a lab :S

It would SEEM logical they would know you did the labs is you checked the box, I would bet they ask you to add "with lab" to avoid any mistakes and assure that you completed your application right with no errors. But again, this is just an opinion.

Thanks for the reply MedAdComMD.

Yes, on my transcript all courses with a lab component say something like "physics II"-3 credit hours. For these courses with lecture + lab, AMCAS suggests to write "with lab" in the course name on the application. Unfortunately, I did not do this, but did select "Yes" for the checkbox which asks, "did this course include a lab component?" for each of these courses.

If the adcom sees exactly what I see on the primary application, there is no way for them to recognize my courses with lab components. I hope that makes sense.

Does this answer your question? Should I email each school to assure them that I do have required lab components for their science prerequisites?

Thanks again.

The problem is, if you really wrote "General Chemistry WITH LAB" for course name, AMCAS couldn't really verify that - as your transcript does not state if that course truly had a lab or not. You must enter your AMCAS *exactly* how the course appears on your transcript.

If I see a transcript like that, I would just use my common sense and assume all the pre-reqs had labs. Most school have a secondary that asks you, is there anything about you that we should know - so you can also add it in there.

What canadian school are you from?

The problem is, if you really wrote "General Chemistry WITH LAB" for course name, AMCAS couldn't really verify that - as your transcript does not state if that course truly had a lab or not. You must enter your AMCAS *exactly* how the course appears on your transcript.

If I see a transcript like that, I would just use my common sense and assume all the pre-reqs had labs. Most school have a secondary that asks you, is there anything about you that we should know - so you can also add it in there.

Thanks so much for your help MedAdComMD.

Ya, I also figured AMCAS couldn't verify if the course had a lab anyway since its not on my transcript :S Also, unfortunately the AMCAS 2012 instruction manual on page 39 does state that an applicant should enter courses with lecture + lab as "x course with lab." Just missed this when I read through it the first time, then someone pointed out the mistake after it was verified :p

Also, instead of adding this info in "is there anything else we should know about you" sections, could I perhaps send an email to the schools I applied to?

I'm from McMaster University :)

Thanks again for the help.

To be honest, we get so many e-mails here at Temple, the secretary does a poor job of actually taking care of this properly. We simply don't have the time to verify something like this.

I think you will be fine - if you don't meet the requirement of a school, they will contact you with the reason, and then you can write back with the course syllabus...etc etc.

AMCAS does process and verify courses if you append "and lab" to the end of the course title. It's in their instructions. However, if your lab component is listed separately as a non-credit line on your transcript, then you must enter it *exactly* as it appears for your AMCAS without the "and lab" addendum.

As for assuming all prereqs have labs, I know that's not the case at my school. My genetics/molecular bio class was lecture only as was my biochem class. For my electrobio class, however, my premed advisor told me only the lab component is accepted by med schools for prereq requirement and not the lecture since it's taught through the BME department.

But in any case, I concur that the extra information spaces on secondaries is a pretty good, universally applicable way to let schools know about this situation.

AMCAS does process and verify courses if you append "and lab" to the end of the course title. It's in their instructions. However, if your lab component is listed separately as a non-credit line on your transcript, then you must enter it *exactly* as it appears for your AMCAS without the "and lab" addendum.

As for assuming all prereqs have labs, I know that's not the case at my school. My genetics/molecular bio class was lecture only as was my biochem class. For my electrobio class, however, my premed advisor told me only the lab component is accepted by med schools for prereq requirement and not the lecture since it's taught through the BME department.

But in any case, I concur that the extra information spaces on secondaries is a pretty good, universally applicable way to let schools know about this situation.

But if you add "and lab" next to a course without any confirmation/verification on the transcript, how does AMCAS know whether or not that course really had a lab?

But if you add "and lab" next to a course without any confirmation/verification on the transcript, how does AMCAS know whether or not that course really had a lab?

That's the thing. They don't know...my transcript doesn't indicate if a course has a lab.

And thanks MedAdComMD for all the help. You've definitely eased my worries.

Thanks to everyone else as well for the replies and help.

Actually, after reading this post, I realized I never included the "and Lab" part on my primaries as well. I did check the "Yes" box though. I read the instructions too, but it just didn't occur to me to append it after entering a ton of other courses without it.

I don't think this will be an issue though. Since you did check the "Yes" box, I think those who question whether you took lab will notice it was checked. I've submitted all my secondaries and no one has questioned me about that so far. I even got an interview scheduled.

Yup they really don't know. My physics classes all had the lab included and they were 3 credits each. I added the "and lab" to them and AMCAS didn't mess with them. There's no indication on my transcript at all.

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think schools care until they interview you or accept you. Tell them when they say "we don't see a lab for this class".