MIT grad cGPA 3.96 sGPA 3.92 MCAT 518 super unbalanced

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Djkim94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
lll

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

kbac13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a super unbalanced 516 (132, 124, 132, 128) and was accepted by 3 schools. I think you will be fine. Apply to a good range of mid and upper tiers. 3.96 from MIT is super impressive, and the rest of your app is very strong as well. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

Djkim94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a super unbalanced 516 (132, 124, 132, 128) and was accepted by 3 schools. I think you will be fine. Apply to a good range of mid and upper tiers. 3.96 from MIT is super impressive, and the rest of your app is very strong as well. Good luck!
Thank you! Did your interviewee ask you about the CARS section at all?

Members don't see this ad :)

kbac13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Did your interviewee ask you about the CARS section at all?
The only school that ever asked me about my grades was SUNY Downstate. And West Virginia rejected me because of the low subscore. Other than that, I was never asked about GPA or MCAT. Tbh I don't see the point in doing so. If you're invited for an interview, it means you passed the first screen and you're academically capable of handling the med school curriculum.

Faha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are interested in MA and NY you could receive interviews at these schools:
BU
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Albany
NYMC
NYU
All 4 SUNY's
Columbia and Cornell are more competitive but worth trying.
The CA schools are very competitive but you can try any that appeal to you.

Djkim94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are interested in MA and NY you could receive interviews at these schools:
BU
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Albany
NYMC
NYU
All 4 SUNY's
Columbia and Cornell are more competitive but worth trying.
The CA schools are very competitive but you can try any that appeal to you.
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

Djkim94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The only school that ever asked me about my grades was SUNY Downstate. And West Virginia rejected me because of the low subscore. Other than that, I was never asked about GPA or MCAT. Tbh I don't see the point in doing so. If you're invited for an interview, it means you passed the first screen and you're academically capable of handling the med school curriculum.
Yes! I agree man! Thank you for letting me have hope. I just hope the composite score takes more weight!

Széchenyi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone... I am an Asian, NY resident, ESL MIT biology major.
I really want to aim for schools in MA, NY, and CA. To explain my situation, My MCAT score is 518 (131,124,131,312) and I retook that from 512. The score has a really low CARS score of 124 and I was curious if that is going to screen me out of the schools I apply to :(

In terms of other specs, I have 600 clinical voluntering hrs, 2000 hrs research, 2 pubs, 2000 hrs work experience, 650 hrs of shadowing, strong rec letters, few leadership positions, Member of PBK, and taking gap year doing more research at HMS.

I want to know what to do... please help. Thank you.
I just got 131/124/132/127 so I have a similar problem. Do schools have an automatic subsection cutoff that is grounds for being rejected?

kbac13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got 131/124/132/127 so I have a similar problem. Do schools have an automatic subsection cutoff that is grounds for being rejected?
See my above post. From my experience, West Virginia was the only school that explicitly told me my subscore was below 125 and that's why they couldn't interview me. Whether this screen exists elsewhere, I'm not sure. @Faha @Goro @gyngyn maybe you can answer this question?

kbac13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes! I agree man! Thank you for letting me have hope. I just hope the composite score takes more weight!
Good luck! PM me if you have other questions

thedarkniteeee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel you bro; 4.0 from mid tier public and 132/125/132/129 :( good luck to us both

Princeton Medical Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tbh with two pubs and hopefully good activities alongside an absolutely amazing GPA from MIT, you have a good chance just about anywhere. I would aim high. I dont think your MCAT is going to hold you back. Seriously though congratulations for the hard work that is pretty amazing.

star field

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
One more thing, if you retook a 512 and got a 518 that may raise a few red flags. First, ADCOMs may think unfavorably about retaking a 512 (shows hubris, perfectionists tendencies, etc). Secondly, a significant number of schools average MCAT scores so they may view you as an 515 scorer, not a 518.

The ADCOMs on here will be able to comment with more experience however.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone... I am an Asian, NY resident, ESL MIT biology major.
I really want to aim for schools in MA, NY, and CA. To explain my situation, My MCAT score is 518 (131,124,131,312) and I retook that from 512. The score has a really low CARS score of 124 and I was curious if that is going to screen me out of the schools I apply to :(

In terms of other specs, I have 600 clinical voluntering hrs, 2000 hrs research, 2 pubs, 2000 hrs work experience, 650 hrs of shadowing, strong rec letters, few leadership positions, Member of PBK, and taking gap year doing more research at HMS.

I want to know what to do... please help. Thank you.
You'll be fine. CARS is the subsection that gets cut the most slack. A 518 score is nothing to sneeze at.