Mitochondria, cristae vs. intermembrane space. Distinction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what exactly was different about these two regions of the mitochondria. They seem to occupy the same description....

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering what exactly was different about these two regions of the mitochondria. They seem to occupy the same description....

intermembrane space is region outside inner membrane, but within outer membrane. it is the space between the mito's two membranes.

cristae is infoldings of the mitochondrial membrane

oh wow reading linked thread above there may be more than i'm saying.

no nevermind they just differentiate between inter and intracristal space.

Crista = membrane folds

Intermembrane space = space between membranes.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if the ATP synthase is on the inner membrane, is H+ coming from inTER or inTRA cristae space? I want to say inter, because intra cristae space iirc is the matrix.

So if the ATP synthase is on the inner membrane, is H+ coming from inTER or inTRA cristae space? I want to say inter, because intra cristae space iirc is the matrix.

mito matrix is basic. H+ ions flow inside.

so H+ comes from intercristal space.

i've never really encountered this term, inter/intracristal, outside these forums for what it's worth.

Inter/intra crista are made up.. stop using them.

The intermembrane space is more acidic than the matrix.

This.

Protons are constantly being pumped from the matrix into the intermembrane space through the ETC. The potential energy that is created due to their electrochemical gradient allows them to power ATP synthase.

i've never really encountered this term, inter/intracristal, outside these forums for what it's worth.

I encountered "intercristal" in my cell bio course... In any case I think I've explained it the best I can in the thread milski linked.