Mitosis and cell cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeymaniac

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I understand that the order of cell cycle is G1->S->G2->Mitosis. But in which stage of the cycle are somatic cells arrested at (that is when no repdocution or cell repair or growth occurs)? Is it at G1?

What about for germline cells? I think it is differ in sperms and eggs.

Could anyone please help? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

somatic cells halt somewhere in G1. It doesn't make sense to go into S phase and copy DNA if the cell doesn't intend to do anything with it.

As for germ cells, primary oocytes are suspended at prophase I. In ovulation, a primary oocyte becomes a secondary oocyte and goes into Meiosis II, but stops at metaphase II until fertilization. I don't think spermatogonia ever stop.

So I understand that the order of cell cycle is G1->S->G2->Mitosis. But in which stage of the cycle are somatic cells arrested at (that is when no repdocution or cell repair or growth occurs)? Is it at G1?

What about for germline cells? I think it is differ in sperms and eggs.

Could anyone please help? Thanks in advance.

First off, not all somatic cells are arrested. Most do go through Mitosis. Other somatic cells such as pancreatic and hepatic do spend a great deal of time in G0 but can reenter G1. Muscle and neural cells are always arrested in the G0 phase.

First off, not all somatic cells are arrested. Most do go through Mitosis. Other somatic cells such as pancreatic and hepatic do spend a great deal of time in G0 but can reenter G1. Muscle and neural cells are always arrested in the G0 phase.

If you were asked in which stage the cell cycle were arrested, would it be proper to say Go though? I understand Go is the phase designated to represent suspended growth, but isn't the cell technically suspended in G1?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you were asked in which stage the cell cycle were arrested, would it be proper to say Go though? I understand Go is the phase designated to represent suspended growth, but isn't the cell technically suspended in G1?

If it was a multiple choice question, and Go wasn't one of the choices, then I'd go with G1. Everytime I've seen a picture of a cell cycle diagram, Go splits off during G1.

Like this...
cellcycle.png