mixed feeling..should I get a LOR from this professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pezzang

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just asked a science professor if he was "comfortable" write a "strong" letter of rec in my support for med schools. He asked me to give a photo of myself to my TA, which I don't have.. I think he thoght I was in the other class (which requires a lab class (+lab final) and has TAs) that he is teaching. He is pretty old so I'm not totally surprised that he got confused. He said he would write me but said that I must waive my right to see the rec... I know for sure that I am going to waive my right to rec (never thought otherwise) but it's a bit strange to me that he saids up front that I must waive it for him to write me a rec... All the other LOR writers did not mention that I "must" waive my right to rec.. I just gave them the signed waiver form.... Do you still think I should get a LOR from him???:(

"I will; provide a reference, but you must get the necessary form, a
photo of yourself (your name on the back) to the TA before the
final lab exam. You must waive your rights to see the
recommendation."

Members don't see this ad.

I think anytime you have to ask yourself "should I?" about a LOR, you shouldn't. Have you spent time with this professor before asking for a letter? I agree asking for a waive of access form is weird. Ask someone else if you can.

I think anytime you have to ask yourself "should I?" about a LOR, you shouldn't. Have you spent time with this professor before asking for a letter? I agree asking for a waive of access form is weird. Ask someone else if you can.

Seconded. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be concerned about that one as well. It might be okay, could just be a form response that he gives to all students seeking a rec. But...if he's giving you a form response, he probably won't be able to write a unique letter about you, esp. if he needs a pic to jog his memory.

I wouldn't worry about the part asking for a waiver, seems like a standard request. I would worry about the part where he doesn't remember which class you took with him.

Yeah, I would go with another professor.

Definitely go with someone else. A professor who doesn't remember who you are can't say anything in a letter beyond, "This student did well in my class." That information is already on your transcript (in the form of a grade), so this letter adds NOTHING to your application.

The waiver thing is probably just standard & not specific to you.

if anything seems fishy, run!

I asked a professor to write me a LOR, but he said he wouldn't have time because he had over a dozen to write already. so i said thanks for you time, and thought nothing more of it.

my premed adviser collects all the LORs and sends them to each med school in a packet. one med school I applied to didn't have the packet at the time that I was filling out their secondary, so I went by the premed office to make sure they sent it. they said they sent it, and they also listed all the professors that wrote one...and one of them was the guy that said he wouldn't. but it was too late to do anything about it, and I've always had the suspicion that it's a not-so-favorable LOR. or at least that's my reasoning for being waitlisted everywhere even though I had good interviews, good stats, and good ECs. oh well, if I reapply I'm throwing that LOR out.

"Dear Admissions Committee,

I seem to recognize a student X based on a picture he sent me. Looking at my files he did pretty good. I'm sure he will be a great doctor.

Professor Y."

In addition to what everyone has already said, the prof doesn't say he'll write you a letter of RECOMMENDATION which is much different than a letter of reference. The first is what you want, the second doesn't do anything for your application because it just states the facts:

"[student] took [class] from me and received a [grade]. I teach a difficult class so I am convinced this student is prepared for the academic challenges of [subject] that would be presented in medical school."

This says nothing about your passion/desire/capability for medicine so I'd keep looking for someone who can write that RECOMMENDATION. Best of luck! :)

Thanks for all your comments! Is "a letter of reference" different from "recommendation"? I thought they were all the same but maybe not.. What do you think?

Thanks for all your comments! Is "a letter of reference" different from "recommendation"? I thought they were all the same but maybe not.. What do you think?

First of all, just to reiterate the thoughts above, if you doubt the strength of the letter that someone might write for you, then don't get one from that person. You'll probably be asking for trouble. If the letter is mediocre, then it won't help you, which is a waste, but a bad letter can really harm you. You would most certainly be better off getting a letter from a professor who is excited to recommend you.

In response to your question above, I think in this context, a letter of reference is the same as a letter of recommendation.

"Recommendation" has a more positive ring to it than "reference" but I've found that professors generally use the terms interchangeably when it comes to letters.