mixing med school and work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gaby

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an undergrad I worked my butt of at school and at work!!! Is this even possible to do during the med school years (and not just during the summer when school is out)? I heard yes and no, however none were very convincing replies. Does anyone have some REAL personal input/advice to give? I know priorities have to go to studying, but is living off of school loans feasible?

Members don't see this ad.

99% of the students I know live entirely off school loans. Some students do get help from their parents or have a spouse that works, but the vast majority do it all with school loans. I can't speak in generalities, but there is absolutely no way, no how, no chance that I could have worked during this past year of school. I don't know anyone who works during the school year (unless they have a job at the school where they can study while they work..that might be an option for you.) Also, some students tutor..so there is another idea.

I think some schools have policies against students working while studying medicine.

On the other hand, an overachieving buddy of mine got married between the 3rd and 4th year of med school and is now moonlighting as a notewriter for a doctor (He writes the doc's progress notes for a fee).

While in the first two years of med school, I TAed a neuroanat lab as well as an immuno lab/discussion group. This included private one on one tutoring, but it's not significant money. I think I pulled in about $40/week. I did it mainly for the experience (and for the extracurric credit).

If you can't make ends meet via students loans, then hopefully you can get some assistance from parents or other family members. Med school can be ridiculously expensive. With the cost and hard work, you'd think that it'd be easier to get in, huh?
smile.gif

I worked as a medical technologist ~30hrs/wk for my 1st & 2nd years of medical school. I recently quit in mid April b/c I wanted to spend more time prepping for the boards in June. Its insane, but do-able! Time management is key!!!
biggrin.gif

Rob
WesternU/COMP MS II