Mixing Prep Strategies - EK Verbal/TPR Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshto

Nervous&Neurotic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to preface my question: I am taking the July MCAT. I have started my studying today, and decided to spend ~6 hours each day studying, doing bio and organic chem on day 1, physics/gchem on day 2, and verbal/writing on day 3.

I am using TPR books for all subjects, other than Verbal (based on recommendations from friends and because TPR Verbal didnt work out too well last year), to which I am using ExamKrackers (101 passges in verbal and the MCAT Verbal Reasoning text).

How do you suggest I study verbal, considering that I'm using EK but TPR for the other sections? Should I simply read through the EK Verbal techniques and then proceed to complete all the 101 passages? I guess I am just confused as to the best way to tackle Verbal with the EK books because I am used to the TPR method. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I alternate EK and TPR for obvious reasons, but I personally found EK's verbal method to be the best by far. You feel like you're wasting more time using EK, but overall you will see a definite improvement in your score if you follow their method to the T.

If you're like me and randomly forget to apply the methods during the passages, try to practice each day allotting yourself a little bit more time in order to remind yourself of the strategy.

For instance, I try to do 3-4 passages from TPR's verbal book using EK methods each day, and then do EK Verbal 101 practice tests once a week. That way, after a few passages the strategies are second nature and you don't have to focus to apply them.

As for the sciences, TPR is awesome for physics and gen chem, but EK is much better (in my opinion) for biology. You might want to check it out if you feel overwhelmed and bored by princetons bio book.

Hope that helps:)

There's no reason not to use the TPR method if it works for you. You don't have to use EK's method because you're doing 101 Verb. Find the method that works for you and use it.