Mizzou (IS) vs Tufts vs UGA (waitlist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bgw2n5

Reaction score
I am from California but went to Mizzou for undergrad and have residency here. While I have enjoyed my time here and know people here, I'd love a change. My boyfriend is a mechanical engineer and will be coming with me where I go to vet school and there are very limited jobs in a small college town. He has an almost guaranteed high paying job in Boston if I were to go to Tufts. So while Tufts is much more expensive it has its pros when it comes to how likely my boyfriend is to get a job. (We have been dating for 6 years so don't tell me to forget about him and choose based on myself only lol)

On the other hand there is UGA. My grandparents live there, my aunt and uncle went there for vet school, it is cheaper than Tufts, and my boyfriend has a good chance of getting a job in the Atlanta suburbs which are pretty close by. BUT I have no guarantees of getting off their waitlist so I don't want to base my decision off assuming I will get in.

So Mizzou vs Tufts. Cost is a big factor but I don't know if I should choose cost over happiness. Any opinions are welcome, I am really struggling with this decision.

Members don't see this ad.

So it looks like Missouri would be about 140k cheaper over the course of 4 years compared to Tufts.
I wouldn't count your eggs before they hatch. Has he applied or seriously looked for jobs at either place? Would his salary in Massachusetts be 35k+ more (after taxes) per year compare to Missouri? Would he be using his additional salary to help offset your loans/ pay your tuition or living expenses? I personally would likely chose Mizzou in this situation. The cost is much less, and you'll likely graduate with substantially less debt.

Reactions: 2 users
So Mizzou vs Tufts. Cost is a big factor but I don't know if I should choose cost over happiness. Any opinions are welcome, I am really struggling with this decision

Happiness is relative. Its 4 years of your life now versus 20 years of your life post-graduation. As Ziggy said, the difference in salary for your BF would have to make up for the difference in COA. Your debt is going to be his problem too post-graduation. Would yall prefer to be happy for 4 years with that much extra debt affecting your life choices for the subsequent 20 years? Especially with the economic fallout we are going to experience with COVID19. The next several years are going to be difficult for our industry overall, with salary and position numbers most likely falling so that clinics can keep their doors open. You wont graduate for another 4 years; but the veterinary economy most likely will not be able bounce back to 2018/2019 levels in that time frame.

Reactions: 1 users
I think Ziggy had some good points to consider. And even if he had an "almost guaranteed" job as of Monday... given the current economic climate in Boston, I would not bank on individual jobs being available next Monday, let alone 6+ months from now.

I would probably also choose Mizzou in this scenario.

Reactions: 2 users