Mizzou

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by siempre595, Nov 13, 2002.

1. siempre595

So I was kind of down that I've gotten no mail in almost two weeks, then I get an e-mail from Mizzou about an interview....little did I know they go ahead and give you a date and time right there!! AND....it's in a week!! So that's gonna be my first interview and I'm totally freaking out because I haven't read up on stuff that I'd hoped to and I'm not sure how I'm getting there and....omigod. So now I'm admittedly freaked out by this whole deal, cause I had the late MCAT and I thought I'd at least have the advantage of putting off interviews for a little longer, like another 2 weeks...but less than a week!!! AHHHH help me!! ok, this is a useless thread of me freaking out. please send encouragement.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded

you're in-state. you'll be fine...

4. Camden772

Camden772 Senior Member

I just interviewed at Mizzou yesterday. Don't worry too much about it. It was very laid back. I would be ready to talk about the status of healthcare and know your application really well. Be aware that they are very focused on primary care and one of their missions is to get more PCPs to rural areas. I think it's also good if you know a little bit about how their PBL program is run. I was not asked anything about ethics, but when I interviewed there in 1994, I had to field a number of ethical questions, so I would be ready for that just in case.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

5. siempre595

Thanks!!
    I'm actually out of state, I just go to school in St. Louis....

6. tBw

tBw totally deluded

that'll teach me not to make assumptions ;) I guess I was amazed anyone not from here would want to stay (how many people from mizzou can I offend in one thread.... ;) )

No seriously Columbia is a great school. I haven't interviewed there specifically because having talked to faculty there they do have a very positive emphasis on anyone interested in rural medicine and that was completely the opposite of what I was interested in. I felt that the clinical exposure would not be what I wanted either (you can get great exposure there but it *is* rural/small town oriented, though you can obviously do some rotations here in the home of the arch). So I would advise - if you *are* interested in rural medicine, make sure they know that. If you are not, don't stick your finger down your throat and make gagging sounds if the subject comes up ;)

good luck.

7. Polar girl

Polar girl Senior Member

If you're really worried, call and reschedule. Give yourself an extra week or so. They say that they'd rather you keep what they give you. But I changed with no problem. I was originally supposed to interview yesterday, but I had a test and a lab I couldn't miss. I got it rescheduled for the next week (on my birthday, actually, so I'm hoping that'll be some sort of good luck). She didn't ask why I couldn't make it or anything. She just told me when there were open spots.

8. Camden772

Camden772 Senior Member

But you missed the opportunity to meet me. I guess it was your choice, but if I were you I'd take an F on that test and lab rather than miss an opportunity like that. Oh well.

9. tBw

tBw totally deluded

I'm sure her whole goal was to ace the test so that she could spend the next 4 years at med school with you....

10. Camden772

Camden772 Senior Member

I don't know if that's a good plan. I think people enjoy my company most in small doses :)

11. Camden772

Camden772 Senior Member

BTW, siempre

That's great that they're interviewing you even though you're out of state. I don't know what the numbers are, but I don't think they interview many out of staters. Good luck!

12. Polar girl

Polar girl Senior Member

Well, when you put it that way---what was I thinking? How silly of me to miss that great opportunity. :D

13. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member

I interviewed there two weeks ago. Seriously, don't worry. Follow Camden's advice and read the SDN interview feedback form and you will be fine. I personally did not feel that they were really pushing rural medicine, but it is certainly an important part of their mission. The best advice I can give is to know your app and to know yourself, motiviations to enter med school, etc.

The decisions are rolling and the meet mid-month to decide on who to admit for that month. Everyone else goes to a sort of "hold" catefory. I think that you will miss the next month's session, so I don't think that there would be any detriment to moving your interview, as long as it is in the first or second week of December. Anything after that, you will go to the next month's cycle.

Good luck.

14. alrite i will be the ignorant one, whats mizzou?

15. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member

THE University of Missouri-Columbia