MKSAP 17 or 18 or Other Source for Intern Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milotic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been told to do MKSAP throughout the intern year along with Step 3 Uworld by going through the designated topics when I am on the services.

However, MKSAP 18 will only be out in parts within this next year. I start on Cardiology as an intern and want to know if it is worth just waiting or if I should get my hands on MKSAP 17 to use until the entirety of MKSAP 18 is available. Is there really a difference between the editions or can I get away with just doing MKSAP 17 for 3 years and just get it when I start in late June?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have been told to do MKSAP throughout the intern year along with Step 3 Uworld by going through the designated topics when I am on the services.

However, MKSAP 18 will only be out in parts within this next year. I start on Cardiology as an intern and want to know if it is worth just waiting or if I should get my hands on MKSAP 17 to use until the entirety of MKSAP 18 is available. Is there really a difference between the editions or can I get away with just doing MKSAP 17 for 3 years and just get it when I start in late June?

Thanks!
For what? Step 3? MKSAP isn't really helpful for that.
To help you study for your IM boards?Get the most current copy, your 3rd year to study for your IM boards.Then take Awesome Review in June or July before your Aug boards.

If your goal is to score the highest on the in service every year (and even outperform your higher PGY year colleagues) then this is a sound plan . Get 17 now and 18 later and do it .

Though realize this plan may not necessarily yield any tangible benefits such as chief residency (if you can even call chief residency a benefit ... though being a chief at a hospital with fellowships often gets you an automatic acceptance regardless or your other merit ) or fellowship as those items are dictated by other factors ...

But if you want to be the best housestaff you can be , possibly gain the attention of the consultant attending on electives , and can do it simultaneous to your research , then do so .

Just know that’s I scored highest every year on the in service at my institution and outperformed all of the pgy3 as a pgy2 but that led to nothing but a sense of self smugness .

Also about awesome review , even if your residency offers it , I would think twice about giving up every weekend in a month to attend this course . This is an individual choice for each person . But I preferred to keep my weekends off.

Baseline Usmle knowledge (seriously .. fAbrys and duchennes on IM boards and lots of retinal images) and mksap is really all you’ve need .

Members don't see this ad :)
If your goal is to score the highest on the in service every year (and even outperform your higher PGY year colleagues) then this is a sound plan . Get 17 now and 18 later and do it .

Though realize this plan may not necessarily yield any tangible benefits such as chief residency (if you can even call chief residency a benefit ... though being a chief at a hospital with fellowships often gets you an automatic acceptance regardless or your other merit ) or fellowship as those items are dictated by other factors ...

But if you want to be the best housestaff you can be , possibly gain the attention of the consultant attending on electives , and can do it simultaneous to your research , then do so .

Just know that’s I scored highest every year on the in service at my institution and outperformed all of the pgy3 as a pgy2 but that led to nothing but a sense of self smugness .

Also about awesome review , even if your residency offers it , I would think twice about giving up every weekend in a month to attend this course . This is an individual choice for each person . But I preferred to keep my weekends off.

Baseline Usmle knowledge (seriously .. fAbrys and duchennes on IM boards and lots of retinal images) and mksap is really all you’ve need .
awesome review has a week long course...unless you live in NY/NJ area, i don't think the weekend thing is a realistic option.
why would you study for the in service?

Studying for the in service and trying to get a high school is probably worse than gunning in medical school. Don’t be that guy

To the OP you should totally do it if you desire as long as it does not interfere with your research and other career tasks as it is a good idea to try to be the best student you can be in residency. Though other factors are more important (See that academic cardiology thread to see what I am referring to) Though it’s is worth it to be the best internist you can be ... if being an internist is your goal .. otherwise just focusing on a niche and Just pass .

No need to know any renal to be an oncologist except many chemo agents cause ATN for example .

No need for a cardiologist to know about Flatbush DM and how it differs from other dm phenotypes for example .

Don’t be “that doctor” who blows things off because “it doesn’t change management.” Lol

Just to hijack this thread—how do you study on the wards? I did decently during third year rotations, but my knowledge is still fairly weak. What resources do people use—not just to perform well on in-service exams or boards, but to apply practically on the wards?

Just to hijack this thread—how do you study on the wards? I did decently during third year rotations, but my knowledge is still fairly weak. What resources do people use—not just to perform well on in-service exams or boards, but to apply practically on the wards?
Patients.

Reactions: 1 users
Want to score well on ITE? MKSAP. Want to do well on ABIM without going crazy? UW. Want to be a good doc? Learn from patients and stay current on stuff. Want to match fellowship? Research, personality, etc.

When you have a pt, read up on what are coming in for...you can start with utd and if it doesn’t answer your questions, it has references that can help reinforce what you read in utd. Then if you have time, read the section in a general text like Harrison’s...you will retain more info when you have an actual pt to relate the material to than just reading random facts.

Had an attending in med school that would say read 30 mins everyday. He said that you would be ahead of 90% of your class if you did so...in med school that sounded like so little since I was used to reading 3-4 hours a day easy...yeah...not so easy to do as a tired intern...

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks!

Why?!? We’re not in undergrad or medical school anymore and our competitive standardized exam careers as future IM residents ended when our Step 2CK exam time expired. The name of the game now is being a good worker, but I guess you’re right that we need to pass these to even be considered for fellowship...still not worth gunning for right away.

You can use Washington Manual for inpatient medicine,and uptodate.
For the first 2 months, try to learn bread and butter such as CHF, COPD, AKI, GI bleeding, DKA, myocardial infarct, and A-fib.

I found spending 1 hour/day outside the hospital reading the Washington Manual and pocket medicine, helpful for consolidating my medical knowledge.

Also another thing about intern year is the "art of medicine"; trying to predict how your attending/senior want to management things.

I have the Med Study Books for IM. Please send me a PM if you are interested !!!

If in your intern year you figure out why the hell commonplace medicine is called bread and butter you win residency.