MLT interested in Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyD89

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working as an MLT and am interested in going to medical school. I graduated with a sGPA 3.3 with an internship at a genetics clinic doing lab work. In 2012, I worked 30-40 volunteer hours at free medical pharmacy as I was researching MT/MLT programs to go into. I earned an associates in laboratory sciences and am certified with ASCP as an MLT. I had 72 hours of clinical experience in 2015-2016 in phlebotomy and bone marrow extractions. I currently work full time, but am planning on working more at the same free medical clinic to obtain more clinic experience and hopefully shadow a few of the doctors. I know I will need a high MCAT and am currently taking on the princeton prep courses to give myself the best chance.

Can I add the science courses I took with my lab tech training onto my sGPA? Maybe a stupid question, but it could raise my sGPA a point or two if I can. Also I did choir and band in undergrad, I don't know if including would help or not.

What can I do to make myself the best possible candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a bachelors degree in something as well? If so, what's it in?

What pre reqs have you taken?
my bachelor's was in biology. Do you know if I can add the sGPA for them together? I took an additional course in statistics, but that doesn't count. The associates provided me with hematology, immunology, anatomy, and lab sciences. I kinda screwed up my second year due to personal issues, but since recovered. I accept it, but I don't want it to destroy all chances of getting into med school

Members don't see this ad :)