MMC and a new website for UK doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

madretailer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am the fiancée of a doctor who was caught up in the MMC process last year, and as I’m sure was the case for many doctors and their families, it was an enormously stressful time. In many ways, we have been very lucky, in that my fiancée managed to secure a training position in an area she was happy with, but we are still extremely concerned about the continuation of MMC and the effects it is having on so many doctors lives.

During the MMC process last year, one of the concerns I became aware of within my circle of medic friends was the feeling of loss of a community within medicine – many doctors who worked together had been in a similar area since graduating or qualifying, and suddenly, were being forced to move, with their families all over the country, and in many cases abroad. As well as the practical problems caused by this such as finding new homes at short notice, new schools, partners’ jobs etc., being separated from friends and family reduced the support structures that many doctors had relied upon during the difficult months of MMC.

Having witnessed the huge amount of stress and upset caused to my fiancée and friends, I set upon creating a brand-new website for doctors, designed to compliment the role of other doctors websites such as Remedy UK and doctors.net.uk.

Miceandmedics.com has been created to enable doctors to maintain their support mechanisms, by allowing them to find colleagues they have lost touch with in the past and find new social groups when they move areas by searching for others nearby with similar interests. It also includes large amounts of relevant information to doctors in one place ranging from application related links to support groups if people are finding things tough, upcoming conferences and events, discounts, forums, medical news, fun, etc.

The site is totally free for doctors to use, funded by limited advertising only (to avoid the need to seek donations to maintain the service). It is only available for doctors and medical students to ensure their details remain safe and cannot be viewed by the general public.

I was hoping that any of you reading this post would take a look at the site, and if you feel it is appropriate, to register and spread the word to any other doctors you know so they can benefit from our efforts.

Miceandmedics.com has never been considered as a business venture, but as a response to my passionate belief that doctors deserve to be supported throughout this dreadful process and to have the opportunity to support each other.

Thank you for reading this post, and unashamed plug, and if you visit and register with my website, I hope you enjoy it!

Members don't see this ad.