MMC & Becoming a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enataliap

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!! My friend and I were talking about medical marijuana cards and medical school/becoming a doctor yesterday, and were pretty unclear about the affects of having a medical card in California. She had one a few years ago but never got it renewed and doesn't smoke anymore. Now she wants to try to get into medical school and become a doctor. If you have had a medical marijuana card in the past (NOT if you currently have a medical marijuana card), does it in any way affect your chances of getting admitted into medical school? Or once you're in medical school, does it have any effect on you receiving your MD and becoming a licensed physician?? Not just in California but in any state? She's just wondering if having her card in the past is going to come back to haunt her. I was thinking she should be fine as long as she can pass a drug test, but I don't know for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Technically it should be the same as once having a prescription for ANY controlled substance and only taking it with the prescription. For example, if you're on an opiate, you'll fail the drug test, but if you once took opiates after a surgery, it won't prevent you from getting licensed. I don't know about a DEA license though, does the DEA keep track of MMC holders?