MMI coming up...feeling nervous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haveli63

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My interview is coming up and it's MMI format. I've practiced a little bit with mmi scenarios but I'm still really nervous! I wanted to know how long is an answer expected to be? I have been timing myself with 8 minutes, but I feel like I barely talk for half of the time. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

My interview is coming up and it's MMI format. I've practiced a little bit with mmi scenarios but I'm still really nervous! I wanted to know how long is an answer expected to be? I have been timing myself with 8 minutes, but I feel like I barely talk for half of the time. Any tips?

7-8 minutes for mine. It's fun, just relax. There isn't much you can do to prep.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

So does everyone usually talk the full 8 minutes? I feel like I would be really repetitive if I tried to talk that much.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have no problem talking for the full 8 minutes. They'll be sure to ask you questions once you've said what you wanted to say. Good luck.

Often there will be follow up questions.

The three schools where I had MMI portions (Western U, U Arizona Phoenix, and OHSU) were all pretty good. I thought that the MMI was well done and not that stressful.

If it is an acting scenario, don't be afraid to treat the person like he/she is a good friend or a close relative like a cousin that you know well. In the "bad news" scenario, I even reached out and put a sympathetic hand on the actor's shoulder. "I am so sorry to hear that." Or "that is awful, is there anything that I can do to help you in this situation?" The bad news scenario was a very common theme that is encountered. Each school had one, but they were different stories from each. Like I said, if your best friend had that kind of news, what would you do to make the situation better? Do that exact thing for the actor (unless it will get you sued for harassment ha ha).

Some of the other situations did not fit me too well because I am a non-traditional, and they are written to include you in a story like you are the typical twenty-something pre-med. since I don't fit that description, I had to stretch the acting a little, but I made it work.

Good luck. It won't be as bad as you imagine.

dsoz

So does everyone usually talk the full 8 minutes? I feel like I would be really repetitive if I tried to talk that much.

You'll be fine. Give a basic answer to the question with a few supporting points then wait for follow up questions. There will be enough to keep the convo going.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

If it is an acting scenario, don't be afraid to treat the person like he/she is a good friend or a close relative like a cousin that you know well. In the "bad news" scenario, I even reached out and put a sympathetic hand on the actor's shoulder. "I am so sorry to hear that." Or "that is awful, is there anything that I can do to help you in this situation?" The bad news scenario was a very common theme that is encountered. Each school had one, but they were different stories from each. Like I said, if your best friend had that kind of news, what would you do to make the situation better?

this

I liked MMI's because you can think about the prompt before walking into the room. It was nice to have my thoughts organized beforehand so I didn't have to come up with something on the spot. I prefer MMI's to traditional interviews.

MMI's were among the most enjoyable of my interview experiences.

As other posters have alluded to, you can't really "prepare" for them (at least not to the same degree of preparation as traditional interviews) -- this greatly reduced the stress level going in, IMO.