MMI (multiple Mini interview) at Univ of mississippi Family medicine Program

Jul 7, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hi Guys, can anyone enlighten me on what to expect on "multiple mini interview" for family med residency program. Any info specifically related to Univ of Mississippi FMRP will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
MMI is a new interview technique that is being tried in medical schools, and perhaps will expand to residencies. In general, the idea is that rather than several long (~30 minute) interviews, you have multiple short (~5 minute) interviews. Each interviewer is given one specific question to ask, or task to do. The idea is to standardize the interview process, as each interviewer sees all candidates and scores them against each other. Some stations may be a question, others may be a task to perform. Sometimes the station involves more than one applicant at a time (i.e. a group of applicants who have to perform a task as a team).

Usually you sign a NDA prior to the interview which prevents you from disclosing what the topics / tasks were.

Jul 14, 2012
Status
Medical Student
a task to perform? Like what? a medical procedure, an essay or test question to solve?

edit: just saw the part in aPDs post about signing an NDA at these type of interviews. So I guess it wouldn't be right for anyone to post such info here. Oh well.

Last edited:

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
http://www.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/admissions/mmi/samples

That's only verbal ones.

I could imagine that for a surgical program you might need to tie some sutures. Or, how about play the game Operation! between a few candidates? Who is brave enough to go for the wishbone?

Addendum: Apparently there is something new called "Bread basket" that is worth more than the wishbone.

DubZteR

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status
Non-Student
Hi Guys, can anyone enlighten me on what to expect on "multiple mini interview" for family med residency program. Any info specifically related to Univ of Mississippi FMRP will be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Any thoughts from the folks who have gone through this process? thanks.

SouthernSurgeon

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]