MN vs. NC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2DEG

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:

After 3 long months, finally I am about to start working again. I am an electrical engineer.

I am debating whether I should accept a position in Minneapolis or stay in NC. I have an offer here in NC as well but its a contract-to-hire position.

My undergrad GPA is not good ( less than 3.0) and my grad GPA will be 3.4. I have this impression that perhaps if I stay in NC, and apply for Med schools here (UNC, ECU), I will have a better chance since I will be an in-state applicant. And also, I have heard that UNC, ECU are more forgiving about the past GPA.

Another good thing about NC is I can take pre-MCAT courses through NCSU or UNC. I am hoping to take MCAT in 2005.

I would like to get some opinion
on the possibilities for someone like me in Minnesota. Do you think moving to MN will reduce my chances to get admission to a medical school? I don't care where I get admission.

I know you don't know my situation completely, but I would like to get some feedback if possible.

Thanks in advance. Have a good one.

Shahab

Members don't see this ad.

Minnesota has 2 state med schools and 1 private med school.

U of MN Duluth - They are in-state but are really looking for rural docs, also a class of about 45 people.

U of MN Minneapolis - Class of 165. 90% in-state, tuition is somewhat expensive for public med schools. they grant automatic interviews to many in-state applicants.

Mayo - they give an in-state tuition of about 5K, but they only have a class of about 45 people.

If you're not taking the MCAT until 2005, you'll be a Minnesota resident by the time you apply. 2 good things about the U of MN med school: First, they are quite receptive to non-traditional applicants such as yourself. Second, if you don't get in the first year (but get an interview), you can make a counseling appointment with the admissions dean regarding your file. Follow her advice, and you have a VERY good chance of being admitted the following year.

I don't know much about NC I admit, but I really like Mpls. It's the coolest smaller city I've ever lived in. Lots of culture, music, art, etc. Gets cold here though--that sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Oldman and racergirl for your kind feedback. I did my undergrad at U of MN - Duluth. I really like minnesota in general, and believe it or not..I like the weather too.

But my hesitation to move comes from the fact that I bought a house in NC 1.5 yrs ago and feel like we have settled in here. Also, my wife has never lived in MN, so convincing her is another task.

Its good to know that UM is open to non-trad students. That was encouraging. Thanks racergirl.

I have few more days to make a decision. I hope I make the right decision.

Thanks for your help. If anyone could tell me how UNC/ECU is in terms of admitting non-traditional students, I would appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Shahab

•••quote:•••Originally posted by racergirl:
•Gets cold here though--that sucks.•••••I love the cold air. It puts hair on your chest.

In regards to NC schools, I only applied to Wake and Duke. I don't know a thing about the others.

NC rocks, even if it is just a bit humid here. I've been a Chapel Hillian for 9 years and with any luck they'll let me stay here for med school, but I would be equally happy at ECU (or anywhere else I get in, for that matter, but that's a different story). And you can't beat the NC in-state tuition rates--I think ECU and UNC are the cheapest schools in the country for in-state students. If you're not taking the MCAT until 2005, you have lots of time to work on your pre-med classes (I would suggest taking them at UNC over NCSU).

I would prefer the colder weather of MN, but I don't know if that's enough of a reason to sell your house and move your family up to MN. What does your wife say about moving up there?

oops-- forgot this-- I've heard that ECU is kind to non-traditional students, especially if you want to stay in NC and want to go into primary care.

hope this helps!! :cool:

Just some information about the two instate schools in North Carolina:

sorry, my last post got cut off... Anyway, if you decide to stay @ NC, UNC would probably be the only legitimate school you could expect to be admitted to.

ECU is a school bent on producing doctor that will stay in NC(preferably rural settings, primary care) and though their low avg. statistics might be inviting, I think it is almost impossible to get into this school without extensive history in North Carolina. From my own experience, I can tell you I have statistics MUCH higher than the avg. at ECU; however it seemed like the interviewers couldn't stop harping about how committed I was to NC. My family moved here from Missouri 11 years ago so I've spent more than half my life here- which didn't seem to be enough as I was rejected. Judging from the fact you went to MN for your undergraduate, I would guess you don't have extensive roots to NC and that will prove to be a very big liablility. I know other students from Duke who got into DUKE SOM yet rejected from ECU for the same reasons. ECU does not look for the most academically capable students with the best potential in an individual basis; they merely look to fill quotas and are more interested in your background in areas beyond your control.

UNC, on the other hand, is a better option as it is more of a tranditional school that treats all residents EQUALLY....